PDA

View Full Version : Lens ?

Bert Kemp
01-03-2017, 4:26 PM
I was doing some cutting this morning and was getting a dbl line. After research here I looked at my lens and see a big spot that won't come off. It still cuts and the extra line is very fine and does not matter on what I'm doing. But I'm thinking new lens time. From what I read a 100mm lens will give me better cutting ability, but it also recommends 100 watt. I have 60 watt so will this lens make much of a difference for my 60 watt or should I stay with a 50.8 mm lens?
Thanks for your ideas

Kev Williams
01-03-2017, 4:29 PM
stay with the 50.8/2". I have a 3" and a 4" lens for my 80w Triumph, and while they cut GOOD, the loss of power density is enormous. In other words, VERY SLOW....

John Noell
01-03-2017, 4:39 PM
Unless you really need more depth of field or you need the Z clearance (e.g., engraving inside a deep bowl), go with the shortest focal length for the smallest dot size and most concentrated power. More wattage is needed with longer focal lengths because the focused beam diameter is bigger and the energy is therefore spread over a larger area. I do a lot of curved surfaces (shells) so I often switch to 2.5"/63.5mm or even a 3"/76mm. I tried a 4"/100mm but the precision of the engraving was very disappointing.

David Somers
01-03-2017, 5:24 PM
This doesnt quite apply to Bert's question, but more to John's use of the longer lenses for deep objects.
You might look at simply using the same lens, but with a longer tube to hold it. That way the long tube can extend down into your bowl, or in John's case, into the shell he is working on. But you get to use the same 2" lens you are used to with all its attributes.

Bert Kemp
01-03-2017, 5:55 PM
Thanks thats answers my ? I'll get a new 50.8 lens

David Somers
01-03-2017, 11:48 PM
May as well get two! They are not expensive and then you have one on hand in case you flub a lens by accident.

Bert Kemp
01-04-2017, 12:58 AM
Dave maybe you make the second one a xmas present:)better yet make them both a xmas present:D
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRoV8WjxwFzgeb0VHwvaOZgGh7iEAgp 8bMc-ueGOPRF5nuNNsEsg

May as well get two! They are not expensive and then you have one on hand in case you flub a lens by accident.

David Somers
01-04-2017, 2:39 PM
Christmas is coming Bert!!! (only 354 days left!!!! Woohooooo!) Will add this to your list for possible stocking stuffers!! :D

Bert Kemp
01-04-2017, 7:15 PM
OOps I meant Birthday present next Month please

Christmas is coming Bert!!! (only 354 days left!!!! Woohooooo!) Will add this to your list for possible stocking stuffers!! :D