PDA

View Full Version : Vintage braces with modern bits

Rob Parsons
01-03-2017, 1:14 PM
I am getting ready to do some entry level chairmaking, and I wanted to get a vintage brace.

My question is can the vintage braces, other than the two jaw Spofford types, use modern bits such as the wood owl auger bits?

I know this is a basic question, but don't have any experience with vintage braces.

Thanks

Jim Koepke
01-03-2017, 1:32 PM
You would almost need to check with the maker's specs in old tool catalogs. Some of these are found on line.

George's Basement > http://www.georgesbasement.com < can help find some patent information.

Old Tool Heaven > http://oldtoolheaven.com < can help with Millers Falls braces.

Some of the classics like the Stanley 2101 were made to take round shank bits and could likely handle the hex shanked bits common today.

Some didn't evolve to properly hold round bits.

If your out in the wild hunting, bring a few nails along to see how the chucks engage them. You may want to saw off the ends so they do not poke holes in your pockets. Loosely close the jaws on the nail. The nail shouldn't wobble. What you are trying to determine is if the nail is captured over the full length inside the jaws or just at the top.

The nail can also help to determine if the body of the brace has been bent or damaged. Set the end of the nail on a block of wood and then turn the brace as if it was being used. Any major irregularities should be detectable.

jtk

Nicholas Lawrence
01-03-2017, 2:30 PM
There was an evolution in braces just like everything else. Some of them won't hold much, others will hold anything. I don't think you can go far with one of the Millers Falls Lion chucks (Old Tool Heaven, which Jim posted, has diagrams).

Mike Henderson
01-03-2017, 2:54 PM
One good thing is that vintage braces are not very expensive (except for the Fray), so you should have a good selection. I don't know if the jaws will work well on modern bits, but the Yankee brace gets good reviews. (that the same as the Stanley 2101 that Jim recommended)

Mike

Rob Parsons
01-03-2017, 3:13 PM
Thanks for all the info.

I saw Chris Schwarz use a brace (I assume vintage) with a wood owl auger bit in a recent DVD, so it got me thinking.

If I am going to go to the effort to get a vintage brace, I would like it to be one that can hold some of our modern bits.

Thanks again.

Nicholas Lawrence
01-03-2017, 5:17 PM
The Yankee braces go for about $100 from what I can tell. They are apparently very good, but I think some of it is collector interest.

Nobody cares about the Lions and they are much cheaper. I have had tapered bits, hex bits, and smooth round bits in mine. I have three of them and they all hold fine. The Samson line has a similar ball bearing chuck, and is supposed to be very good as well, but I have never come across one.

lowell holmes
01-03-2017, 5:39 PM
I have a Stanley and a Bell Systems brace. They both are good. The Bell Systems brace is considered to be desirable by many woodworkers.
It was made by Stanley.

The Stanley is a blue handle brace and it does what it's supposed to do.

steven c newman
01-03-2017, 6:40 PM
Might as well get a full range of braces...
14" down to a 6" sweep.

Claus Keller
01-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Yep, always the Yankees -- there is nothing better (the 6" is a Millers Falls, all others Yankees):

steven c newman
01-05-2017, 2:52 PM
The 6" sweep brace I have is made by Millers Falls, and was sold by Keen Kutter stores..
Has a different two piece jaw set up.
seems to hold round bits nicely...