PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the Dew point in the garage

Jeff Body
01-02-2017, 8:00 PM
I'm hoping I can get some advice.
I live in FL with the typical FL weather. 30*f one night and 70* the next.

My laser is setup in the garage which isn't heated or cooled. Lately the weather has been great and I've been able to run my laser chiller down to 18*C without any problems from condensation. But of course that doesn't last around here. Today the dewpoint was rather high at around 72*F. This means I can only run my chiller down to about 74*F without forming any condensation. That's about 24*C which isn't good for the laser tube.

Here's my thought. I don't have the money or resources to run A/C in my garage. My question is can I run a 70 pint dehumidifier in the garage to lower the dew point. A 70 pint dehumidifier is designed for a room up to 4500sq ft so it should make quick work in a 260sqft garage.

Will this work? I just need to get the dew point below 65*F. At that point I can run the laser chiller at 18*C and make it happy.
With spring and summer weather around the corning I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep running the laser.

John Lifer
01-02-2017, 8:39 PM
It would help to be sure, but is your garage insulated? And airtight with the the door closed? At least enough to keep outside air outside and dehumidified air inside? What are you doing about smoke? Exhaust blowing outside? If so, you ave to make up air somehow and it's not dehumidified.

I have mine in the basement and exhaust outside and I'VE found I actually downdraft thru a non used stove that is in the basement. the only issue is if I'm burning my main fireplace, it pulls smoke back down thru stove!
If you have the dehumidifier, give it a shot

Jeff Body
01-02-2017, 11:23 PM
It would help to be sure, but is your garage insulated? And airtight with the the door closed? At least enough to keep outside air outside and dehumidified air inside? What are you doing about smoke? Exhaust blowing outside? If so, you ave to make up air somehow and it's not dehumidified.

I have mine in the basement and exhaust outside and I'VE found I actually downdraft thru a non used stove that is in the basement. the only issue is if I'm burning my main fireplace, it pulls smoke back down thru stove!
If you have the dehumidifier, give it a shot

I've insulated the garage door. with foam board and the door itself is closes pretty tight. On the other hand I do hear slight movement from the door when I turn on the exhaust. Which by the way is exhaust to the outside.

I do see your point though.

I don't not own a dehumidifier yet. I was looking at the 70 pint model for $180 on amazon.
My main goal is to lower the dew point 5*f.

Matt McCoy
01-03-2017, 10:12 AM
How long have you been operating the chiller at 24*C?

Jeff Body
01-03-2017, 12:50 PM
How long have you been operating the chiller at 24*C?

I replaced the tube back in Oct. Since then I've been able to run the chiller in the teens without worrying about condensation. I know once spring hits that'll be another story.
I believe condensation is what has killed my last 2 tubes. So now I'm just trying to think of a plan so I can keep using the laser in the hotter more humide months around here.

John Lifer
01-03-2017, 3:53 PM
I read about someone else putting a computer cooling fan on the end of the tube box and blowing air across the tube to keep condensate off. I'd think that would be a help to your problem. I DO understand the condensate issue. I'm from central MS originally and fought rust on my WW tools. Amazing what a warm front can do to your equipment in one night in an unheated building. Since coming to NW Arkansas, I've been able to forget about rust. In fact I haven't waxed my table saw in 6 months.
I'd try the dehumidifier and see if it helps. Not a lot of $ and it will make things more comfortable no matter.

Kev Williams
01-03-2017, 5:17 PM
I have a Penguino portable roll-around AC unit that noticeably knocks the humidity down in my garage shop, while cooling it off. We don't have much humidity here, but last summer was unusually muggy, and the AC helped a lot. I would think a dedicated dehumidifier would REALLY help you out...

Jeff Body
01-05-2017, 1:04 AM
I have a Penguino portable roll-around AC unit that noticeably knocks the humidity down in my garage shop, while cooling it off. We don't have much humidity here, but last summer was unusually muggy, and the AC helped a lot. I would think a dedicated dehumidifier would REALLY help you out...

Thanks....A tabout $180 it's worth a shot.