PDA

View Full Version : Any special pricing at woodworking events?

Wes Billups
01-02-2017, 5:07 PM
I've got a dilemma as Lie Nielsen will be having a hand tool event in Kansas City in two weeks. I've been holding off on purchasing some items from them until this event but it'll be tight for me to be able to make it.

Does anyone know if they offer any discounts or special pricing at these events? If not I may just order online (save on gas money) or wait until Handworks in Iowa this May.

I'm assuming any special pricing at their event in Kansas City would occur at Handworks as well.

I've got the same question for Lee Valley as well although they currently are offering free shipping so I just ordered from them.

Thanks,
Wes

Frederick Skelly
01-02-2017, 5:09 PM
I've read that their hand tool events offer free shipping but no discounts.

Randy Karst
01-02-2017, 5:26 PM
Hi Wes,

I've attended a few; pricing is the same regardless of event or ordering directly; however, as Frederick pointed out, if they do not have what you want at the event - if you order there - there will be no shipping charge. Depending on how much you spend they generally have a promotional offer, free calendar or video (good opportunity to get a Charlesworth video). Always fun to attend these and I have always spent more there than intended.
Regards,

Randy

Tony Wilkins
01-02-2017, 5:49 PM
I'm assuming you have to pay taxes though correct?

Jim Koepke
01-02-2017, 8:58 PM
I'm assuming you have to pay taxes though correct?

That depends on the state where the event is being held. My recollection is in Portland, Oregon my purchase was free of tax whereas if purchased in Seattle, Washington tax would have been added.

Not sure how it works if they have to ship an item.

jtk

Michael Fross
01-02-2017, 9:05 PM
At the Chicago LN events, if you take the merchandise while you are there you need to pay tax (and Illinois / Chicago tax is outrageous.) If, however, they ship it from Maine, then it's essentially an out of state purchase and I've not had to pay tax.

YMMV,

Michael

Andrew Hughes
01-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Don't expect them to have a big selection.I bought what I could when they were here in California.
I saved on shipping.
And that's it.

Randy Karst
01-03-2017, 12:54 AM
Plus one on what Andrew said; the last two years they have brought much less inventory with them than previous events I had attended.

Wayne Cannon
01-03-2017, 1:35 AM
Prices I've seen have been good, but not exceptional. HOWEVER, some really good deals can be had late on the last day from many vendors. I assume it's so they have less to pack up at the end of the show.

Jerry Olexa
01-03-2017, 8:51 PM
I undertand no discount but free shipping if needed at these events.