PDA

View Full Version : Converting a side mounted Red dot to a through nozzle?

Mike V Miller
01-02-2017, 3:45 PM
My Red dot laser is mounted off the side of the nozzle. I would like to remount it so it goes through the nozzle and give me an exact placement of my laser. Do I need anything special like a different lens? Can I just make a new mount for it and relocate it? I welcome any input anyone might have.
Thank you

David Somers
01-02-2017, 4:39 PM
Mike,

I believe there have been a few threads discussing this in the last year or two. From what I remember most did not recommend it as it reduces the power of the laser beam available at the cone. In order to do it you need a special mirror. I believe I saw it the last time I was looking at Lightobject.com. I believe this is the URL for it at lightobject.
http://www.lightobject.com/Laser-Machine-25mm-Beam-Combiner-Mount-wLaser-Pointer-Black-P1000.aspx. Check that out, and do a search in the forum and you should find some relevant thoughts on it.

Dave

Mark Sipes
01-02-2017, 4:41 PM
Not sure what configuration/set-up your mirrors are in as they are directed to the focus lens from the laser. My red-dot pointed is aligned with the laser beam from the first of three mirrors (Trotec)

Mike V Miller
01-02-2017, 4:58 PM
Thank you David. I will check it out. I didn't want to leap before I looked.

Mike V Miller
01-02-2017, 5:05 PM
That's where I had intended on mounting it was back by the tube. I am running a MornTech MT-L960 80W and to me the red dot set up is hokey. I would have my machine and stuff listed but i'm not sure how you guys do that? Thanks Mark

David Somers
01-02-2017, 5:09 PM
Mike,

I dug a bit and found a thread that may help you.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?244099-Improved-Laser-Pointer&highlight=Red+dot+pointer

Also, if you do a search on "red dot pointer" you will get a bunch of hits. Some more relative than others of course.
I remember someone starting a post in which they showed how they set up a flip down laser pointer. It sat in the laser beam path and was aimed into the lens that angles down into the tube/lens cone. Before the 3rd mirror in other words. When you needed a red dot you flipped it down and used it. While it was inline he had rigged a shuoff so the CO2 laser beam could not fire and damage his red dot pointer rig. When you got lined up you then flipped the pointer up out of the way, which shut off the pointer and re-enabled the CO2 laser beam. I tried to find it for you but havent found it yet. I usually keep a list of these interesting ideas so I can find them easily later on, but apparently didnt do it with this particular one.

Hope this helps. Will repost if I come across that particular solution.

Dave

Mark Sipes
01-02-2017, 5:32 PM
That's where I had intended on mounting it was back by the tube. I am running a MornTech MT-L960 80W and to me the red dot set up is hokey. I would have my machine and stuff listed but i'm not sure how you guys do that? Thanks Mark

Here is your first challenge in adding a signature block. Find your "My Profile" on the top of page.
Click on the link. From there go to "About Me" tab click .. Here you will find a "Signature" field. All info listed and saved in the block will appear after you send a message to the forum.

real easy..

David Somers
01-02-2017, 5:41 PM
Heh,

Dont know why but I was having fun digging into the forum looking for the one post I wanted. I found a few that might be of use or at least be interesting to you.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?203960-laser-pointer-alignment&highlight=laser+pointer
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?194542-The-red-dot-question&highlight=laser+pointer

AND AHA!
Found it! Here is the link. This is to a unit the drops down into the line of the beam before the third mirror, and cuts power to the laser so you cant inadvertantly fire it while this unit is in line. Once you position your head you flip it up and out of the way, which enables the laser again.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?212605-My-modification-on-Shenhui&highlight=red+dot+pointer

Lots of ideas here for you.

Dave

Mike V Miller
01-02-2017, 5:53 PM
What a neat idea! Now you got me thinking! My laser has a key shut off for the tube. Sometimes It irks me because I run something only to find out I forgot to turn it back on. It's hell getting old lol. Thanks again

Mike V Miller
01-02-2017, 6:21 PM
Thats some good info.. Thank you sir

Kev Williams
01-02-2017, 9:56 PM
I have 3 machines with thru-the-lens red dot pointers. (3rd machine was my old ULS). They do not and never have pointed exactly where the laser fires. I've tried a few times to line them up, 'close but no cigar' is as good as I've gotten.
I have a correction factor for the dot on each machine. To make accurate use of the dot on the GCC I have to shine a bright LED flashlight at it to kill some of the LED brightness. The ULS was that way. My LS900 has the opposite problem, I can't even see it unless I turn out the light in the cabinet. Speaking of the GCC, the red pointer is always on, and it doesn't affect the laser's output at all, at least that I can tell...

David Somers
01-03-2017, 3:58 PM
Hey Kev,

I believe the loss of power folks experience when using a "through the lens" type of pointer is the mirror used to accomplish this. It is not efficient at passing your laser beam and the power loss seems to come from that. Some folks have been saying they dont notice anything. Others have said they see anywhere from a 5% to 20% loss, which is significant. Especially if you are working on the margins of your available power. One of the links I provided above discussed another mechanism that was supposed to introduce the pointer beam to the laser beam without involving that type of combining mirror. It didnt look at it in depth. So it appears the issue isnt really the joining of two wavelengths of beam, but more with transmission losses through that particular mirror type. Which makes sense. Think of it kind of sort of almost but not quite like a a see through mirror in a crime show interrogation room. If the lights are off in the observation room behind the mirror the perpetrator can't see into the room. If the lights come on in that room though the perp can see in. Though it is not as bright a view as it would be if the glass were truly clear glass. The light transmission through that mirrored glass is impaired. Similar to these special mirrors.