PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on a Hitachi F1000A combo jointer/planer

Bert McMahan
01-02-2017, 3:04 PM
I saw a Hitachi F1000A combo jointer planer show up on Craigslist near me today. Do any of you guys use one regularly? I've been looking for a jointer and planer for a while (no rush, just interested) and this just popped up.

Searching around it looks like there are some ~8 year old threads with people talking about them, but it's mostly in the realm of people looking for parts for them- not talking about whether or not they work well.

It's part of a lot with some other tools and he didn't have a part-out price. Any idea what one of these is worth? Unfortunately it's been sitting unused for a few years and is partially disassembled (I think the in/outfeed tables on the planer and the jointer fence).

I'm new to woodworking as a hobby and don't need pro-grade stuff, but I don't want to cheap out either. I just like to tinker around in my garage when I have the time, and this looks like it might be a decent combo unit.

Ray Newman
01-02-2017, 3:46 PM
About 25 years ago, I had one. Worked well. And if I recall correctly:

-- Dust collection was not very good. Jointer dropped the chips straight down onto the floor which was relatively easy to sweep/vacuum up. Planer chip port is oddly shaped -- difficult to find a hose/connector that would hold in place.
-- Planer was low to the ground and the planner bed (not the motor) moved up/down as the cut depth changed. For long boards, needed to change the height of the support stands when changing cutting depth to prevent snipe. Had it mounted on a shop fabricated stand with heavy duty casters -- it is heavy -- and it always seems top heavy. Probably best to keep it one spot and not move it about.
-- Very loud.

The jointer tables should have the fold down extensions. Cannot recall if there were Hitachi-supplied knife changing gauges or not. Finally sold it off and bought an older Delta 6" jointer and a DeWalt planer.

Since it is now discontinued, have no idea as to availability of parts and if available, replacement part cost. And that always make me stop and carefully think about a purchase.

Dave Macy
01-02-2017, 5:29 PM
I have the hitachi p12ra and it works well. The jointer part was a freebie to me because I already had a jointer. So I haven't used that much. The p12ra doesn't have a ton of power but it gives a nice smooth finish. I need to play around with it more. I'm going to try to setup a dro so I have more repeatable thicknesses but I really like it. The dust collection on mine is non-existent, so the birds in our neighborhood will have plenty of nest materials haha.

David Eisenhauer
01-02-2017, 6:00 PM
350624350625350626350627350628I

I bought one new in the mid 1980's, still have it now in use and believe I have only had a switch problem to contend with once over the years. I believe this is the original heavier, all steel unit as opposed to newer, lighter, maybe some plastic model that came out a few years later. I mounted it on a rolling cart (approx. 25" off the floor to the top of the cart table, including the roller height) and added dust collection via a cut-to-fit wooden collar that makes up the connection from my dust collection flex hose to the odd shaped planer chip ejector. The jointer dust collection is rectangular and points straight down to the floor, but I never really permanently set collection up that was not a PIA trip issue. Spring-loaded knives are easy-peasy to set with supplied magnetic blocks. Knives are (I believe?) 1/8" thick and re sharpen well. It is a 110v unit but a howler. Main jointer bed is around 42" or so long, with (I believe?) 12" or so long fold-down extensions. Planer width is an honest 12" with fine depth of cut control easily adjusted. The whole unit is around 32" wide at it's widest spot and weighs (as I recall in dim memory) around 375 lbs. and rolls well with my set up. It cost around $1300 or so new a and the Hitachi nd works well. I have been around the tabletop type 12" planers and the Hitachi, in my opinion, is a step up from those in that it is much closer to a cabinet type unit as opposed to the table top type.

Bert McMahan
01-03-2017, 6:46 PM
Well I talked to the owner and apparently the motor looks dead- he checked the brushes and switch and said it wasn't that.

Anyone replaced a motor on one of those? I know replacement parts are hard to come by but a motor seems more "universal". I might be able to replace the original motor with something a bit quieter.