PDA

View Full Version : Turnings for a Bazaar ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
10-10-2005, 12:35 PM
My neighbor's church is having a fund raising bazaar the first week of November and he bought a table. He's putting some turnings out, and since I displayed some of his at my last show, he asked if I wanted to put something on his table. He asked if I could have anything ready bythen, so I've been out in the shop during the mornings to build up a stash for the display. Here's what I've got so far. The five stoppers I did this morning are Bloodwood, Laminated Cocobola, Dyed, Litnum Vitae and Purpleheart. I've made up several magnifying glasses and letter opener kits as well. Fun and quick to make. Thanks for looking. Wednesday morning, SWMBO and I are off to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming for two weeks to celebrate the big 50 birthday. I'll be teaching my twin brother, who just got a Jet Mini how to make these things in Eagle, Idaho. Maybe we can get a bi-coastal thing going.

Keith Burns
10-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Man thats a potfull of turnigs ! They all look great !

Mark Cothren
10-10-2005, 1:44 PM
Impressive Ron! You've been busy! Very nice work.

Michael Stafford
10-10-2005, 3:53 PM
Beautiful work, Ron! I hope you do well! :D

Kurt Forbes
10-10-2005, 5:53 PM
where are you getting the bottle stopper kits ?

10-10-2005, 6:41 PM
where are you getting the bottle stopper kits ?

I get mine from arizona sillouettes. I can get them in bulk (50 at a time) for half the price I pay at woodcrafters. I've had pretty good luck selling these, along with the magnifying glasses, key rings and letter openers. all of these are small enough to be priced where people will buy them for gifts without a whole lot of thought.

Ron

Greg Cozad
10-10-2005, 7:32 PM
Are the magnifying glasses available as kits from Arizona Silhouettes also?

10-10-2005, 8:34 PM
Are the magnifying glasses available as kits from Arizona Silhouettes also?

I haven't seen any from them ... but I really didn't look that hard. I already had several I had picked up from woodcrafters when I got my minin Jet. I do need to look around and see where I can get them cheaper. Let me know if you find some somewhere for under $7.50 each!

Ron

Ernie Nyvall
10-10-2005, 9:25 PM
You have ben busy Ron. Some nice looking turnings.

Ernie

Kent Cartwright
10-11-2005, 9:41 AM
Wow, those are really cool Ron, and I can tell you've been busy!

Kent

Dave Smith
10-11-2005, 11:25 AM
WOW what a turner.
Hi Ron,

I can ship some wood to your brother's and save you a bunch on shipping. I have a kazillion pen and bottle stopper blanks.

I doubt I will be traveling in your path but you never know. My wife wants me to take her to dinner in Placitas, New Mexico next week. If I had someone to sell my stuff I might be able to afford it.

I have been wanting to try antler and finally got several this past weekend. Any particular things I should be aware of when working with antler besides the smell which I have heard about?

Dave Smith

I should be turning instead of typing in Longview, WA.

10-11-2005, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Smith]WOW what a turner.
Hi Ron,

I can ship some wood to your brother's and save you a bunch on shipping. I have a kazillion pen and bottle stopper blanks.

I have been wanting to try antler and finally got several this past weekend. Any particular things I should be aware of when working with antler besides the smell which I have heard about?

Hi Dave,
The only thing you really need to be aware of when turning antler, is to try to get a piece that has a core that is as small, or as solid, as possible. I've tried elk because they are so much larger in diameter than the whitetail deer I get here in Virginia, but the pourous core is a lot bigger, too. I do use CA glue to solidify it somewhat before turning, but a good solid piece of antler turns the best. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as turning wood. There's no grain to worry about. You'll want to sharpen your gouge a little more often, but I think you'll really like it.

My brother's address is:
Rick L. Smith
1333 East Kite Drive
Eagle, Idaho 83616

If you want, send me a private message with what type woods, what you're asking for blanks and what you think the shipping would be. I can check it out on my brother's computer when I get out there. We fly out Wednesday morning from Richmond, VA - to Philly - to Denver - to Boise on Wednesday evening. We'll be there for ten days. Hope to hear from you. If you want, or need anything else, just let me know.

Thanks,
Ron