PDA

View Full Version : Old Electric Wiring :-(

Bob Weisner
10-10-2005, 12:20 PM
What a day :( I woke up and turned the bedroom light on. The light started to flicker. No big deal, I thought. I go eat breakfast and was ready to leave the house when I remembered that I forgot to turn the bedroom light off. I went back to the bedroom and turned the light off and heard a sizzeling , zapping sound. I thought " What was that?" I turned the light back on . Same flickering light and then the flickering stopped. I turned the light off and the sizzling , zapping noise I heard again through the wall. My house was built in the mid 1800's and the light was , I would say , made around 1900, if not older.

So, I got out my tools and unhooked the light from the wall. I pulled the wire out and then ZAP!!! WOW !! That HURT!!! :eek: I went down the basement to turn off the electric to my room. I go upstairs and grab the wire again. ZAP!!! (Electrician did not wire the house correctly , it seems :rolleyes: ) I go back down into the basement and turn off all of the electric this time. I get back upstairs and I smelled something burning. :eek: I go back into my bedroom and knowing that the electric is off , I grab the biggest hammer I had and proceeded to smash a BIG hole in the bedroom wall where the light once was. After getting a 2 foot by 2 foot hole broken through the wall, I see the extent of the damage (Not my damage, That don't count! :D ) Wireing almost as old as the house, frayed , split, bare , exposed and burned up!!.

Well, down to the hardware store I go and buy a roll of wire, a new lamp, and a bucket of plaster.

The JOYS of owning an OLD HOUSE :o

Larry Reimer
10-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Bob, surely that's an opportunity to buy some more tools that you just have to have to do this job. Wish you well.

Rob Russell
10-10-2005, 2:09 PM
Spend the $10 dollars and buy an inductive voltage sensor. It's a little, battery operated probe that will beep and flash when you put the tip near a wire that's hot. I've been "bit" before and am careful about using it to verify that a circuit is dead before I start grabbing wires.

The correct protocol is:
- verify the probe is working on a known hot wire
- check the wire(s) you need to
- reverify the probe is working on a known hot wire to validate that the battery didn't die mid test.

Rob