PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 140 band saw

Michael Dye
01-02-2017, 10:22 AM
After noticing a tendency for the blade to wander while cutting thick stock, I decided to check blade tensions and the blade guide. Tension is right on the money, but when I looked at the lower blade guide, the first thing I saw was part of the casting holding the two cooling blocks was missing, as well as the attached cooling block. At least that answers the "wandering" question. My dilemma is that I have no idea if replacement parts for this dinosaur even exist. This is my go-to bandsaw and I am not in the mood to look at retiring the old girl just yet. Anybody know where a lower blade guide might be found? The thought of going to Carter guides crossed my mind but none are available. Thanks in advance.

Dave Cav
01-02-2017, 1:59 PM
The 140 is a good band saw but not nearly as common as the 141. Head over to OWWM dot Org and someone will be able to help you. You could discuss a workaround or replacement on the main Woodworking Machines forum or place an ad for a replacement part on the Bring Out Your Dead forum.

Van Huskey
01-02-2017, 2:44 PM
The 140 is an older saw than the 141 and as Dave said is more rare. Besides OWWM you might give Scott at Redmond Machinery in Georgia a call they keep a decent cache of old Powermatic parts.

Carroll Courtney
01-02-2017, 6:42 PM
If I may add and I hate to say it,check the auction site also.Good luck----

Michael Dye
01-02-2017, 7:27 PM
Thanks, guys. I went on the OWWM website but just didn't get deep enough. I left a message with Scott Redmond but forgot entirely that most companies have closed for the holiday. I will try again tomorrow.