PDA

View Full Version : Book for windows building

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-01-2017, 5:56 PM
I am planning to build 10 windows for my new barn ( new for me:D). Right now I have cheap single pane metal frames windows. All windows will be same size. I have equipment - shaper particularly, to do the job. Problem -I want to do good windows with sliding opening. It is not an urgency by any mean.
What will be your recommendation - build it or buy all windows.
If build - any good source of information - books, internet sites.
Thank you,
Ed.

roger wiegand
01-02-2017, 9:02 AM
Certainly do it, if it is a labor of love. If you just want to keep the cold and wind out though it seems far more time/cost effective to buy windows. There's a lot of detailing that goes into a tight window, and a lot of engineering. Just the glass packs for a DIY window will probably cost as much as a modest vinyl window, not to mention the hardware.

I put about 10 windows into my barn/workshop and decided that I didn't care about it being all matchy-matchy, so I started making regular trips to the place that resells overstock and "mistake" windows, accumulating roughly similar (6 over 1, double hung) windows from four different makers for about $60 each. These range from very high end wood windows to an Andersen silverline vinyl window that I bought new for ~$89 to finish the job. In use after three years I don't notice any functional differences between the el cheapo vinyl window and the much higher end ones. Only the Jeld-Wen wooden window was a real piece of junk, it leaks air like crazy and most of the hardware broke almost immediately-- I prop it with a stick when I want to open it.

No great resource suggestions for you. I'd think long and hard about whether it's worth the effort. It's certainly an interesting challenge, but there are too many other things I'd rather build.

Bradley Gray
01-02-2017, 9:40 AM
Check out

http://conservationtechnology.com (http://conservationtechnology.com)

Seals and glazing gaskets that last and last