PDA

View Full Version : Got some new (old) tools today... Stanley 42X and some spoke shaves.

Dan Carroll
01-01-2017, 5:20 PM

The spoke shave with the wood handles appears to be bronze (gunmetal?). No markings I can find. I am completely unfamiliar with saw sets and I am not sure if the Stanley 42X is complete. Can anyone add some information to what I picked up today. Oh, and the irons on the Stanley 65 and 51 have sweetheart marks. As they were given to me by a neighbor who was cleaning out a bunch of tools left in the basement when he bought the house I did him a favor by taking them off his hands. (bunch of other stuff as well).

Stew Denton
01-01-2017, 6:44 PM
Hey Dan,

Most of it looks to be in good shape. Good job.

Stew

Jim Koepke
01-01-2017, 7:50 PM
It looks like the anvil in the saw set may be in upside down. There should be a notch that fits over the lower screw's flange. There is one more part to the saw set which is almost always missing. It is an attachment to use with circular saw blades.

Here is a picture of mine:

Both have the anvil oriented so the indexing lines are visible. The top one has the circular saw guide installed the other has it sitting on the bench next to it.

jtk

Dan Carroll
01-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Thanks, I will turn the anvil around. Something did not look right when I looked at other pictures of the set and you answered my questions.

Joe Williams
01-01-2017, 11:28 PM
I got into woodworking with hand tools by rehabbing planes and saws. If I remember right the 42x was the one that was rare and valuable or at least the one that was harder to find. I have a couple of those and I remember it being painful to get.