PDA

View Full Version : More Than You Care to Know About Micrometers

Jim Koepke
01-01-2017, 3:35 PM
Found this interesting piece about micrometers:

http://cofes.com/Portals/0/COFES_2012/COFES2012_MICROMETERS.pdf

It is about 200 pages with the last section covering different models and makers.

jtk

Dan Barr
01-01-2017, 4:03 PM
Very cool! This will keep my eyes a little more open at the fleamarket.

Bruce Page
01-01-2017, 4:20 PM
At 210 pages that's more information than I need to know!:)
I bought my first outside 0-1" .0001 micrometer at age 19 soon followed by 1-2", 2-3", etc., up to 6". Also inside mic's, depth mikes, and a couple of specialized mic's thrown in.
My son & sons-in-law have no interest in them so I will probably end up selling them for peanuts on CL or here on SMC. I need to start weeding out some of my machine shop tools so stay tuned! Micrometers are must tools for machinists and for anyone who needs to know the exact size of something.

Lee Schierer
01-01-2017, 4:37 PM
Micrometers are must tools for machinists and for anyone who needs to know the exact size of something.

They also can be used as a C-clamp. I've never done this, but I've seen it done. :eek:

Bruce Page
01-01-2017, 4:41 PM
They also can be used as a C-clamp. I've never done this, but I've seen it done. :eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:X10

Bill Houghton
01-01-2017, 5:20 PM
Micrometers are must tools for machinists and for anyone who needs to know the exact size of something.

I talked to a guy one time who said repeatability is key with micrometers and that a plain spindle - no ratchet or friction thimble - will often give readings differing by 0.001" or more in the hands of different mechanics, or even the same mechanic on different days. I have a plain mike, but, since that day, have just admired it, choosing the ratchet or friction thimble whenever I wanted to be serious about my measuring.

Thanks for the link to the book. I didn't realize Marx made toy mikes!

Bruce Page
01-01-2017, 5:28 PM
All of my micrometers are ratchet. Back in the day I was taught to lightly square the anvil faces to the work and read after four clicks of the ratchet. That has served me well even working in the tool room to .0001 tolerances.