PDA

View Full Version : Electric Hand Planer Upgrade

John Carmack
01-01-2017, 8:47 AM
I upgraded the edge fence of my planer.

The one that comes stock with it is pretty small and the bracket that thumb screws onto the side is a little thin for the slot. So I got a 1" wide L bracket and sanded it down a bit. I got some 3/8" thick aluminum, 3" x 12". I think the 3" might be overkill, but I just got the plate size to match the combined length of the planer's plates.

I got it much more square than the original one, but still end up with off square cuts. I tried riding the edge fence flat and the planer sideways and it ended up square though. There's still a little play in the fence to work out. The sliding slot is bigger than the screws.

Also sanded a little cove for the blades, just in case. Any ideas on how to make this better?

Eric Commarato
01-01-2017, 8:57 PM
John, I'm thinking of purchasing a Makita electric plane. Do you find yours useful? My local HD has 3-4 in stock that look like they have been there for years. They were made in their Buford, Georgia plant. I know Makita invented the hand held electric plane back in the 1950's so you would think the innovator would make the best machines. I value your thoughts and opinion on this brand and it's uses. Thanks, Eric

Olaf Vogel
01-01-2017, 11:13 PM
John, I'm thinking of purchasing a Makita electric plane. Do you find yours useful? My local HD has 3-4 in stock that look like they have been there for years. They were made in their Buford, Georgia plant. I know Makita invented the hand held electric plane back in the 1950's so you would think the innovator would make the best machines. I value your thoughts and opinion on this brand and it's uses. Thanks, Eric

Eric

I picked one up, used, several years ago. Its had tons of use and abuse.
Other than needing a new set of blades, its still great.

This is one very useful tool.

Olaf