PDA

View Full Version : Rust Hunting Finds

Stew Denton
01-01-2017, 12:55 AM
Hi All,

This fall I mentioned a rust hunting trip to an estate sale in town, and said I would eventually post pictures. The sale was handled by a professional estate sale group. Rust hunting is a very rare event here, as there are very few old hand woodworking tools available at garage sales around here.

Picked up nine saws, a wooden handled Bluegrass hammer, a small hammer for the grandkids to use while here, a couple of small trowels, a riffle file, and a 2' Sands level like I have wanted for years (Sands was made in Wichita, and made very high quality carpenters levels, the 2' level will go along with the 30" Sands I bought new over 40 years ago.) The little riffle file is hand stitched, and I have plans for it. Most of the saws had been wiped down with motor oil, and were black because of that, but it will come off relatively easily I think. Some of the saws have virtually no corrosion, not even a light surface rust. I think 6 of them are Disstons.

All in all a good day. $30.

Today, my younger son-in-law and I cleaned up one of the saws this afternoon. He didn't have a rip saw and is working on their house and needed a rip saw badly, so we cleaned up a nice 6 point rip to remove almost all of the surface corrosion, buffed the saw nuts, gave it a good paste waxing, and gave it a go. Cuts very nicely! I think it will be an excellent saw for my son-in-law. The saw had some very light surface rusting, but almost no pitting. The teeth still showed the original stamping profile on the faces of the teeth, in short the saw had never been used at all. It had been around long enough to pick up some corrosion, but it was literally new old stock. My guess is late 30s on that saw, and whoever bought it must have kept it without ever using it even one time.

Forgot to include a new hammer handle in the picture, but it was one of the items in the mix. Right now I have too many tools torn apart in various stages of restoration, and no warm place to work. When I get home it is usually about dark, or close to it. Sigh.

Stew

steven c newman
01-01-2017, 2:25 AM
Nice haul! That level looks a lot like one my late dad had. Would be nice to replace the one set of broken vials on his, just to give a little lease on life.

Stew Denton
01-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Hi Steven,

I looked on the web, and was surprised to find out that Sands is still in business, apparently still making great levels. It looks like they have been sold, but if you do a search for "Sands Levels Wichita Ks" several come up. The one under Neodesha had a phone number. They do seem to have a customer service department, so if you contact them, they may still repair the older levels, I don't know.

Stew

steven c newman
01-01-2017, 11:26 PM
I'll keep that in mind. Might see how bad the level is next time I am down at Mom's place....thanks.

Chris Hachet
01-03-2017, 8:35 AM
Very, Very nice!