PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore Vase Initial Turn

Thomas Canfield
12-31-2016, 8:50 PM
After stepping over this 16"L x 9"+D trunk section of Sycamore with scab sections, I finally decided to turn a vase leaving a natural edge section to include the scabs. The bark was bad so it was removed and so far initial sanding only done to 120 to allow piece to dry before final sanding and finish. It is hollowed 14.5" and thickness is about 5/16" except for the extra thick areas. Hollowing went well and the unbalanced was not a factor on the 3520B at about 450 rpm.

Now to let dry, sand, and finish off bottom some time next year. Happy New Year.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2016, 9:49 PM
Looks like you had fun! Hope the piece dries well! Looking forward to seeing it once finished.

Thomas Canfield
01-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Looks like you had fun! Hope the piece dries well! Looking forward to seeing it once finished.

Weighed out at 10.23#, 10.55# in double layer paper sack, and set aside until summer. Tree was semi dead, but still had moisture in core. I was thinking about turning through side to make a window, but wife is not to keen on those. I have another smaller section that has a limb hollow on side and I may try hollowing that to leave the scab opening in side. Got to have some fun with this.

I never have got it figured how to rotate the pictures. The vase looks better in upright.