PDA

View Full Version : Google Deskbar

Jay Knoll
10-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Anyone been using this puppy? I just downloaded it and am unimpressed so far, but maybe I've got to play with it awhile to realize its benefits

Jay

Rich Konopka
10-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Jay, It is okay. I have tons of documents for work that I cannot keep up with and find that it does offer me an advantage. One thing I really like is the plug-ins which can be found at: http://desktop.google.com/plugins/

Also, I have used the Google Outlook search which is integrated in Outlook and searches across tens of thousands of emails in different PST files is instaneous. Really cool !!!

These guys are real innovative.

It takes a little while after install for it to index everything.

Rich

Jay Knoll
10-10-2005, 2:02 PM
Rick

I agree with you that they are talented people, but that deskbar didn't do nice things to my system. it was looking like paint drying when I tried some web sites

I took it off, empted cache just so I wasn't getting false download readings and retried some of the sites I was having trouble with. Speed is back where it should be.

Guess my experience isn't unheard of, when I uninstalled, they sent a quick survey. one of the choices for the reason for removing the program was "my system slowed down"

I've a gig of ram on this puppy, don't think there were any resource constraints

Glad its working for you but I won't try it again until I see that it isn't in beta state

Jay