PDA

View Full Version : Need Baby Gift Advice

Raymond Seward
12-31-2016, 6:37 PM
I am going to be a Great-Great Uncle....we are all thrilled. I need ideas as to what to make for a gift. Needs to be something shippable....
Please give me your ideas! Thanks
Happy New Year!!
Ray

Jerry Wright
12-31-2016, 6:42 PM
Turned baby rattle (lots of examples on web), small box for baby's lifelong keepsakes, frame for first pictures.....they will be pleased with whatever great great uncle makes and signs.

Bill McNiel
12-31-2016, 7:15 PM
Baby rattles BS from scrap, filled with shot or BBs and finished with Veg Oil or Kitchen Counter Oil (Boos).

Raymond Seward
01-02-2017, 7:39 AM
Thanks for your suggestions :-)

Ed Aumiller
01-02-2017, 8:38 PM
If it is a boy, a set of Lincoln logs... a BIG set, you can never make a set too big...
If it is a girl, a cradle for doll babies...

Frederick Skelly
01-02-2017, 9:09 PM
If it is a boy, a set of Lincoln logs... a BIG set, you can never make a set too big....

This is a great idea, regardless of the baby's gender - grow them smart and creative from an early age!

Another idea is a child sized chair. I do those and they are always well received.

Dan Hahr
01-03-2017, 11:12 AM
A set of simple maple blocks. Size them in increments of 1 x 1 x 1, 1 x 1 x 2, 2 x 2 x 2, 2 x 2 x 4, etc so they will stack in various positions. Round over the edges with a 1/8 bit. Add some long strips and some odd pieces and shapes. No finish necessary. They will last generations and I'll bet they get played with the most until someone buys a video game for the kid.

Dan

Bill McDermott
01-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Blocks are an excellent idea.
I enjoy making simple step stools for growing families. You know, so the child can reach the sink to wash up. You can make it quick and easy, or throw in a little pizazz.

Bruce Wrenn
01-03-2017, 9:34 PM
Child's high chair in WoodSmith issue #57. I've made several for grand kids, or their kids. Knocks down flat for both storage or shipping. Tray is removable so it can be used as a "booster chair."

Raymond Seward
01-04-2017, 8:32 AM
More great ideas!! Thank you!

John K Jordan
01-04-2017, 4:19 PM
Raymond,

I do something a little different. I enjoy woodturning so for a baby girl I make a turned box. Might be an odd present for a baby my thinking: mamma can use it for diaper pins when (for those who still use them), the little girl can use it for bugs or pebbles, when older she might put a necklace or some keepsake. These have been extremely well received. This was one:

When nearly a year old, both girls and boys love to sit on this and will use it for at least 3-4 years. The one I made was used by three sons and two grandsons so far. I have plans if anyone is interested.

JKJ

Mel Fulks
01-04-2017, 6:16 PM
Good idea well done, John. Children are fascinated by stuff that "was mine when I was little". And they figure out that it's still theirs.

Raymond Seward
01-04-2017, 7:14 PM
Great work John...and I'll take a copy of those plans....I'll pm you ....thanks!

Raymond,

I do something a little different. I enjoy woodturning so for a baby girl I make a turned box. Might be an odd present for a baby my thinking: mamma can use it for diaper pins when (for those who still use them), the little girl can use it for bugs or pebbles, when older she might put a necklace or some keepsake. These have been extremely well received. This was one:

When nearly a year old, both girls and boys love to sit on this and will use it for at least 3-4 years. The one I made was used by three sons and two grandsons so far. I have plans if anyone is interested.

JKJ

John K Jordan
01-04-2017, 9:55 PM
Send by email - let me know if you don't get them for some reason. Also, if you decide to make one and have any questions.

JK