View Full Version : Evolution Rage 3 10" Slider Quick Review...

Derek Arita
12-31-2016, 5:07 PM
I recently got into welding and found that my old miter saw, with an abrasive blade on it, just wasn't cutting it. I have a Festool Kapex and use it for all fine woodworking, so I thought about a chop saw with abrasive blade and started looking online for info. I saw lots of Youtube vids on the Evolution Rage 3 and it seemed to be able to do both wood and metal, so I figured it might be a good replacement for the old miter saw.
The ER3 comes in pieces, although it requires little assembly and only takes a few minutes to get it up and running. My first couple of cuts on 1/8" x 6" hardboard showed that some adjustment would have to be made to the fence and bevel angle stops, in order to get an acceptable cut. After repeated attempts, the best I could get was a barely acceptable 90* cut with the slider. Even with the workpiece clamped down, the cut seemed to waver from end to end and could be due to slide action, blade arbor runout or both....at least, that's all I could figure. The 45* cuts are again, acceptable, but not optimal. Dust collection is minimal at best. By the way, all cuts were checked with a Starrett square.
As for the laser, I was not able to get it adjusted to be accurate in any way. I could not get the laser line 90* to the fence. Also, as you pull the blade down for the cut, the laser line travels from left of the cut, to right of the cut, but not so it was accurate on either side. It's beyond me how to accurately adjust this laser.
In the past, I've had a Makita 12" slider and a Hitachi 10" slider and have been able to get these saws to perform very well. This ER3 is definitely not in the same class, for sure. Weight and fit and finish alone, keep it from being at the same level. Throw in the barely adequate cut quality and it's clear that I would not be using this saw for any fine woodworking. All that said, I got this saw to be able to cut light metal and junk wood scraps and it will likely do both. I certainly wouldn't consider keeping this saw if I were using it as my primary miter saw, however as a secondary saw that doesn't need to cut dead on, I'll keep it for it's versatility alone.
If anyone has had good results with this saw, please chime in. Thanks for reading.

Thomas Marr
12-31-2016, 5:42 PM
I have the SCMS version but haven't set it up yet. Bought it to cut aluminum and metal tubing. Also have a Kapex and an old but very good Dewalt. Need to cut some AL in a few weeks and will report back. BTW, I found mixed reviews on this saw. Basically, my impression from the reviews indicated the saw is cheaply made. Caught it on Amazon for $299. For that price, if the motor runs slow enough to cut metal, I'll be happy with "fair" results. Proper metal cutting saws are very expensive if you want to use carbide blades. My friend has a German made saw that's a real beauty. However, the price is unbelievable. He's literally put it in his will for his brother in law (I know because I wanted to buy it).

Derek Arita
12-31-2016, 6:29 PM
Ya...same here. The price of metal cutting saws is crazy, so this was an easy sell, especially for the miter capability. That said, I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the cut accuracy, but I was not. That said, metal cuts for welding don't have to be dead on like wood cuts do, as gaps can be filled and metal was it's primary purpose, so I guess I can't really complain too much. Still, so many folks on Youtube have given this saw rave reviews, however none have truly addressed cut accuracy in wood, so I thought I'd address that here.

Derek Arita
01-05-2017, 9:02 PM
OK...A LITTLE UPDATE...I got tired of trying to adjust this saw to cut 90*, with the laser adjusted properly, so I returned it and exchanged it for another unit. One of the issues was, when installing the blade, I had to tweak the blade guard to the side, in order to get the blade in position. I think there was an arbor problem that was causing multiple issues.
Well, the new ER3 was much better, with regards to getting the blade mounted. The blade to table squareness was way off, so that had to be adjusted. With that done, the blade to fence 90* had to be adjusted and tested for a 90* cut. I found that there's a big difference in cut when plunging alone, as compared to sliding alone. I suspect that its' cause could be due to flex in the slide runners. Since I couldn't get the cut adjusted in both, I adjusted to the slide cut and got it fairly 90* and straight.
Once all of the that was done, I was able to get this laser unit adjusted pretty close.
Strange note here...the laser in blade up position, sits to the left of the blade. When the blade is lowered, the laser line moves from left side, to right side. Is that on purpose? I don't think so, as how far right it moves depends on how low the blade is lowered, so it's not like you can use the laser to align a right side cut. That said, there's no way I could get the laser adjusted so that it wouldn't move. Weird????
So now, my final assessment really hasn't changed much. I would not use this as my primary saw for woodworking, however for metal work, it's close enough for sure. I'm still scratching my head, wondering how all those Youtube reviews could call this a bang on saw, cuz that it ain't. What it is, is a decent metal/wood miter saw that is convenient for it's capabilities, albeit not a dead on miter saw.