PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Jonathan Lo
12-31-2016, 5:10 AM
First post, but long time lurker. Lots of good information on this site. Thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge.

About me:
I've enjoyed woodworking for about 10 years, although still a novice. My "shop" is a 2-car garage that has typical house storage and a car in it. Move the car out to work on my projects. My projects are typically honey-do stuff ("Shabby chic" whatever that means, home improvement, etc). I've just started dabbling in boxes and cutting boards. I've made 1 box and 2 cutting boards (edge grain). They turned out alright.

Tools
I'll have a new DeWalt DWE7491RS coming in on the 3rd of January to replace my old beat up Craftsman. I chose a job-site saw due to the lack of space.
Triton TRA001 mounted to a home-made table (half a solid-core door and cabinet base) via a Woodpecker plate
Double bevel compound miter saw (DeWalt)
HF belt sander
DeWalt combo cordless set. Batteries last long enough to rip a sheet of plywood twice.

Tools I want to get in the near future
DW735X planer (ordering it when it is in stock at HD)
Scroll saw
belt/disc sander
Drill press
Jointer
Band saw (towards the bottom of the list)
Lots of router bits! I only have 4 right now.

Future Projects:
redoing garage storage to hopefully open up more space
adding storage to my router table. Currently it only has two sides, a back and a top.
End grain cutting board for my wife
New assembly table. Temporary, so probably 2x and plywood or MDF construction
Box joint jig. For table saw or router table. The last one I tried to make didn't work out.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment or ask questions!

Jim Becker
12-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Welcome to SMC! There's a wealth of knowledge here that dates back a long time and we're sure you'll find it helpful. We hope you'll also contribute to the knowledge base over time with your own work and comments.

Jim
Forum Moderator

Lee Schierer
12-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the Creek. We look forward to seeing your work.

Kevin Smira
12-31-2016, 10:28 AM
Welcome! Unless you're deadset on getting the planet at HD, if you look around, you can find a better price. Rockler has it with a stand for the same price as HD for example. Also, check CL for it.

Dave Lehnert
12-31-2016, 11:24 AM
Welcome to the creek.

David Eisenhauer
12-31-2016, 1:09 PM
Hello back and where are you located? There may be others in your area that can let you view/feel/drool over specific types and brands of machinery to help with purchasing decisions.

Dan Barr
12-31-2016, 1:11 PM
Welcome! Lots of knowledge within. Don't hesitate to post questions if the same question or answer is not already posted.

Frederick Skelly
12-31-2016, 5:53 PM
Welcome Jonathan. Glad to have you with us!
Fred

Jonathan Lo
01-01-2017, 1:56 AM
Got a bunch of gift cards for HD that I will gladly use up. That's a darn good deal at rockler! Thanks for the heads up!

Jonathan Lo
01-01-2017, 2:00 AM
Hello back and where are you located? There may be others in your area that can let you view/feel/drool over specific types and brands of machinery to help with purchasing decisions.

Fixed. Thought I put that in there when I created my profile. Thank you!

Dave Stuve
01-01-2017, 2:49 AM
Welcome Jonathan, good to see a fellow Oregonian on the Creek! I'm about 10 years into woodworking myself. I think the last time I counted I've made about 45 woodworking projects, half of which I've given away: coffee tables, piano benches, blanket chests, night stands, book cases, bathroom cabinets, and a bunch of foot stools large and small. My favorite wood is cherry, although I've done a few items in walnut and maple.

Jonathan Lo
01-01-2017, 3:21 AM
Welcome Jonathan, good to see a fellow Oregonian on the Creek! I'm about 10 years into woodworking myself. I think the last time I counted I've made about 45 woodworking projects, half of which I've given away: coffee tables, piano benches, blanket chests, night stands, book cases, bathroom cabinets, and a bunch of foot stools large and small. My favorite wood is cherry, although I've done a few items in walnut and maple.

Thank you! My favorite so far is Walnut. Least favorite is hickory. I'm looking forward to start doing a couple of furniture pieces. Looking at doing a couple of night stands with a concealed drawer. Maybe a blanket chest as well. I look around at the furniture in my house and wonder why I spent so much money on it when I could have made it out of REAL hardwood for half the cost. i.e. 2 end tables and coffee table, and dining table that I spent about $2200 on total. The good thing about being over here, is I don't have to deal with too much humidity changes :) however I do have to deal with a garage that hangs out in the 90s in the summers.