PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
10-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

I worked on cabinets this weekend and worked with the LOML to make room for a new woodstove that we will be installing in the next couple of weeks. I have a hearth to build, wall to tile, and put a nice large hole in my ceiling and roof.

Anyway.....oncall this week so we all know what that's like.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Andy Hoyt
10-10-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm posting on behalf of all Creekers.

The most important thing any of us did this weekend is what we did yesterday.

I am proud of my affiliation with all of you.

John Miliunas
10-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Cut grass, for hopefully, the last time this season. Milled a bunch of 8/4 Ash for upcoming stairway project. Finished a small bowl, took care of a bunch of items I had for sale at that auction place, had a GREAT visit from fellow Creeker, Karl Laustrup and watched the ball game. Got "Hostage" on DVD and watched it with the family Sat. evening. (Good flick, but then all three of us like Bruce Willis.) All in all, a pretty productive weekend. :) Hope everyone has a super week!:) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Saturday.....rested from the last 3 weeks of going like a paper hanger in a windstorm. Saturday evening took the wife to supper and went shopping. Sunday ...went to a local medical center and worked. Sunday evening watched some of the MLB playoffs.

Keith Foster
10-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Stracthed my head for several hours while attempting to setup the Cyclone. Then headed out to the ranch to visit with my parents and watch the ASTRO'S GO 18 INNINGS AND WIN! Wow! What an awesome game! :D

Steve Knowlton
10-10-2005, 11:09 AM
I Went To Our Woodturners Club Meeting On Sat. Morn. Found Out I Was The Head Of Our Nominating Committe. Then Had To Help Coach My 11 Year Olds Flag Football Team. We Won Again. Great Kids On The Team. Sun. Went To Work At 6:00am And Worked Till 10. Went To Church With Family, Then We Took My Moom To Lunch. We Then Went With Her To A Pottery Place She Likes To Go To On Sunday Afternoons. We Suprised Her With A Retirement Party. It Was An Awesome Weekend. God Bless All.

Jim Hager
10-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I pounded out the boxes for a set of kitchen cabs that I have going. I got all of them done except for the lazy susan corner and the upper 45 degree corner. I even got the drawer glides in place ready for the drawer boxes. All in all a pretty good weekend's work.

Jim O'Dell
10-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Spent Sat. at the local Celtic festival. We always take some of our Irish Setters for their dog parade. Always lots of fun. Got a sunburn, but it was a beautiful day.
Sunday I picked up some parts for the shop, rewired a couple of the 110 circuits that I wasn't happy with, and replaced some receptacles and switches in the bathroom remodel. Now the LOML needs to put up the border and it will be finished for now.
Watched parts of the Cowboy/Eagle game. WOW! Now if the 'boys can play that way every week! (I'm not holding my breath on that) Jim.

John Hart
10-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Worked mostly on the Loom for the girls...Got that finished (until I found out that I left something out!!!:( ) And got a few pens done that were long overdue. All in all...very relaxing....Watching the world-famous SMC internet-a-thon...hosted by John Bailey

Scott Parks
10-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I had a very productive weekend.

I finished a trip early saturday morning. Got home, packed up the familiy into the truck. Brought some sandwiches, cheese, crackers, and brews. Headed up into to mountains to Turqoise Lake, CO and had a pickinic. Kids had fun playing in the water and throwing rocks. We were looking around and checking out the area to buy some recreational property. Glad we did it then, because old man winter appeared yesterday in the mountains. This morning, we have about 8" of snow at the house. All in all, had a great family day....

:DYesterday was just as good!!! I woke up to reading the paper with a cup of Starbucks. In the classifieds I saw an ad for a 14" Delta bandsaw, radial arm saw, and shopsmith. I called. THe guy said that someone was coming to the the radial and shopsmith at 1:30. I hit the road to get there before the other guy. Bought the Delta BS for $200 including the Delta mobile base! The other guy showed up and was a little ticked that I beat him there. He said he really wanted the BS, but he told the seller that he wanted the others..... Snooze, ya looze....

But it gets better:D:D A couple years ago, I was looking for a 70 Olds 442 to use as a driver to restore later... Anyway, I wasn't finding much of anything good, and local. So, the guy selling the BS had one in his garage!!! I said "I've been looking for a good '70 442!" He said there's one right there... "I KNOW!!!" "It's for sale!" "No WAY!" Anyway, he said that his son-in-law is going to buy it, but he has big ambitions and no wallet. So.... I left him with my name and number and told hime to call me before he advertises it. Money talks, I'll call him in about a week and convince him to sell...:D:D So, I had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about my bandsaw, and why I shouldn't buy this sweet, 59K mile original 442!!!!

Chad Pater
10-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Finished the soybean harvest. Yeilds were exceptional this year. Getting ready to start combining corn. Fall would be my favorite season if I didn't know cold and snow followed so close behind...
Chad

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Did a lot of yard work Saturday and Sunday getting ready for the rain before it hits. Also getting ready for winter. Got it done yesterday afternoon and it started raining about 7 pm and is still raining this morning at 10 am. Of course I am not complaining because we are about 13 inches below normal. It is dry here. Also finished a couple of sleds for the table saw. Made another 45 deg. and a 22.5 deg. for when I do clocks. Helped the lovely lady of the house (boss) get some of her halloween wood stuff cut out. We cut out a ghost and pumpkin that will be painted with glow-in-the-dark paint. Didn't get to watch much football or baseball.

Ed Lang
10-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Moved more stuff in the shop and installed luan in half of the ceiling.

The ClearVue Cyclone is hung and the remote works! This thing SUCKS! I think I might have to rethink my floor sweep as I don't want to have a little dog sucked up in this thing:eek: Yes, it is that strong.

I will be working on ductwork this week and hope to be ready for the BIG MACHINE on Friday:) :) :)

Short week this week at work since I am taking off to go and get the BIG MACHINE.

Guess I will have to wait till next Monday to tell you about.......

Oh well.... none of this happened since I have no pictures......:p

Dan Stuewe
10-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Wife had her first craft fair Saturday. Her jewelry didn't do well and we came up with tons of reasons why. We'll see how things go at the three other shows she's signed up for this year. Spent Sunday relaxing. After getting to hear our oldest sing in church with her class we had a quiet day at home.

Michael Gabbay
10-10-2005, 12:39 PM
My weekend was full of tiling and dovetails. The tiling is 90% complete on the bathroom remodel. Just a few trim pieces and the baseboard. Then I need to grout and seal the shower walls and tub area. This has to be done by next Monday since the tub is getting installed. :eek:
The dovetails are for 6 drawers for the bathroom vanity. I'm doing them by hand to get more proficient at them. I've been trying different ways of chopping out the waste.

Mike

Tony Falotico
10-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Built the checkout counter for SIL's store, taking Monday afternoon off to finish and deliver it Tuesday...... Still looking at opening this weekend but we are down to the wire....... we'll see if we make it or not.

Bought two surplus pre-made formica counter tops to save time and money, definitely came out much cheaper (less than 1/2 of what it would have cost to build), but time and aggravation -- That's another story. It is made in three sections, slightly over 11 feet long when assembled.

Progress pics attached, finished & installed pic's on Wednesday (I HOPE !!)

Scott Coffelt
10-10-2005, 1:14 PM
Well, Saturday was spent watching the Busch series race at the Kansas Speedway and Sunday was spent watching the Nextel Cup race at Kansas Speedway. Other than that, I did nothing.

I been meaning to post a picture of the Craigslist find I bought last Thursday, but I had no time over the weekend. So I will post a replica of the one I got.

I picked up a 3 year old Jet JWL-1236 for $250. When I got there I saw it had the HTC mobile base included, one crown 1/8" parting turning tool, two pen mandrels and a magnetic base light. It is missing a couple of things that I will have to acquire, replace or not: index tool, headstock spur, tool rest extension, manual, 6" plate. The lather looked to be in good condition, the lady only turned pens and is having a hard time seeign well enough to turn these days. She seemed real nice, but a little saddened by not being able to continue turning.

I have been wanting to upgrade a little from the Ridgid I have now and at this price, I think it was a good trade-up.

Matt Meiser
10-10-2005, 1:24 PM
I did several projects around the house and two woodworking projects I already posted in another thread. Saturday night my wife and I went to see Flightplan which was OK, not great.

JayStPeter
10-10-2005, 1:28 PM
Got a little shop time in this weekend. Finished shaping the tennons for the headboards and footboards of the kids beds. I just had to round over the ends to match the routered mortises. That just seemed to take forever. I also had to stop and sharpen my chisels and rabbeting plane. Ughhh, I need a better sharpening setup.

Jay

Karl Laustrup
10-10-2005, 1:29 PM
Went to the Fair on the Square in Baraboo on Saturday. Lots of craft booths to look at. LOML found a sign for our son's grave. She had it lettered "Steeler's Fan Sleeps Here" and we took it to the cemetary after we were finished at the square.

Sunday was a road trip to see Spring. Got a lesson on a couple of planes my dad had. This donder head [me] didn't even know how to put the one together. I thought there were parts missing. THANKS SPRING! :D

Watched the Pack wake up from their slumber and that made it an even better day.

Karl

Kevin Post
10-10-2005, 1:39 PM
I rearranged my garage to make room for the pile of lumber (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24975) I acquired Saturday morning. It's now unloaded and neatly stacked in it's new home waiting for me to ruin. No I just need to figure out where to put all the stuff I moved to make room for the wood.

Hockey season is starting up so I spent some time at the rink on Saturday and Sunday while my kid ran skating drills.

I loaned a friend my HVLP rig to spray trim and doors for his house. I ended up staying for a couple hours getting him started since he had never used a spray gun.

I watched portions of the Packer vs. Saints game. All I can say is that it was a refreshing change from the previous four games.

Like John Miliunas, I fired up the lawn mower but I know I'll have it out again at least one more time before the season is over. If for cutting grass, I'll use it to suck up leaves from the lawn.

Keith Christopher
10-10-2005, 1:49 PM
Well I cleaned up the shop a bit, then I read my wood mag that arrived in the mail and it made me make this. Duh never thought of that! Simple and functional.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/Woodworking/glueshelf.jpg

And put some paint on a bath cabinet I'm making.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/Woodworking/paint1.jpg

tuned up my TS and cleaned it, designed my bathroom for the upcoming renovation. AND........started my table design from the design forum. I made the mdf templates for the cutouts, ordered the lumber, began on the bending forms. I'll let you all know how it goes in pictures.

Keith

Tom Hamilton
10-10-2005, 1:54 PM
Pretty exciting weekend watching the Astro's go 18 innings to win and watching the Creeker's also go the distance to continue the flow.

Very nice.

Oh, sweet wife and I also bought bikes. A couple of sit upright, three speed cruisers. We are looking forward to enjoying the nicest 6 months of weather in Houston, our winter!

Working on a little project for SIL, and fishing boat partner, to hold his fishing line for respooling his reels.

But the Astro's was the best! :D

Hope you all have a productive and enjoyable week. TJH

Jim Becker
10-10-2005, 2:05 PM
Lazy weekend for me...I needed sleep and didn't have a lot of motivation to do whole bunches of stuff! No shop time, but I did replace a defective halogen can in the pantry as well as do a few other things on this very, very, very rainy weekend. (Had to pump water out of the pond twice so far to avoid overflowing) We also attended a nice house- and shop-warming party at Robert Tarr's place on Saturday evening...I'll be posting a few intersting pictures in a separate thread later. Otherwise, I did some "web work", made it to the club/gym for my Friday workout on Saturday :) and generally goofed off.

Joseph Miller
10-10-2005, 2:15 PM
Well, I spent from 7am to about 4 or 5 in the afternoon on saturday with 5 other guys setting 50' trusses on our church addition..the rain did not let up for one single minute...all day. And it was cold. What a miserable day!:( But we got all 21 of them up, 1 with some bumps and bruises after dropping it from the cherry picker.:D Actually, it was pretty much demolished and we had to scab peices all over it. But, overall..it was an experience to remember. Then, church all day on sunday and back to work this morning.:)

Bob Nieman
10-10-2005, 2:17 PM
One of the first weekends in a loooong time that I actually got some things accomplished that I wanted to do. Saturday was beautiful and Sunday was grey and rainy (which in my part of the world is beautiful too). First weekend since I don't remember that the temps weren't in the 90s or 100s.
Bought new saw blades for my 15" Grizzly bandsaw and put one in. I bought the saw at auction 3 years ago and have slowly replaced missing or broken parts, but never a saw blade. WOW it really cuts! My new antenna for the Sirius radio arrived and I was in heaven (need to see if there is away to splice a connector to the old one and mount it permanently in the garage)
Saw Wallace and Gromit with the family (Great!), then went back to the shop where I tried sharpening on a wet stone for the very first time. Started with some 20 year old abused chisels and a similar plane and tried to flatten the backs. Talk about repetitve motion injuries! I played with it for awhile, but until I buy some finer waterstones (I have a 250/1000 combo), I can't finish the job. It was good practice before I try my new chisels.

I sanded some window trim I cut months ago. I put it off for a long time and put them aside to work on other projects, but SWMBO could not be put off any longer and despite wanting to start a new project (router table), I finished the sanding. I can probably put off finishing it for awhile, but I probably shouldn't. :D

George Bledsoe
10-10-2005, 2:33 PM
I decided that I needed some logs to cut so I went out searching. I managed to find a few of the logs I was looking for :D I also managed to get a quick tour of a sawmill and had a great visit with the father and son sawmillers. I also spotted a pile of cherry logs that I may have to make another trip to pick up a few. All in All it was a wonderful trip, fantastic weather stacks of saw logs and a real big saw can't ask for a better trip then that!!!!!!

Robert Tarr
10-10-2005, 4:30 PM
I had an house/shop warming party on Saturday (took off Wed.-Fri. to prepare.) We got 10 inches of rain on Saturday, so some last minute scrambling allowed the party to continue. In the end, the party was in the house and shop (supposed to be outside) and I just moved everything to the sides of the shop and set up tables and chairs. All told, we had over 40 people and tons of fun. Sunday, I cleaned up and drove some friends to the airport to return home (I had to import some friends from CO., AZ. and CA. to pull this thing off.) Sunday night, the Mrs. and I passed out....

A great weekend.

Robert

Vaughn McMillan
10-10-2005, 4:58 PM
Spent another weekend doing mostly work stuff. About the only shop time spent was several fruitless attempts to get at least ONE acceptable coat of finish on a little box project. The box itself is as good as I'm gonna get it, but the finish on the top just doesn't want to cooperate. I've re-done it so many times I've lost count. I guess if it was easy, everyone would want to do it, huh?

Also watched the Creek-A-Thon as it progressed yesterday. We rock.

- Vaughn

Hank Knight
10-10-2005, 6:00 PM
I spent Saturday cleaning up the shop and putting things away. I built a new clamp rack to get the rest of my clamps off the floor. Sunday I tinkered with my box joint jig and tried out the new Frued box joint blade until about 2:30 in the afternoon. Then I made the mistake of sitting down to watch the Braves and the Astros. 18 innings and MANY HOURS later I was exhausted and disappointed. I eased the pain by logging on to SMC and posting pictures of the box joint blade test drive.

Rob Blaustein
10-10-2005, 8:21 PM
Installed my new Biesemeyer splitter and built a new zero clearance insert. Also started putting together the new Excalibur overarm guard but the real installation must await my building a suitable extension table to mount it on.

Joe Mioux
10-10-2005, 9:36 PM
As per my normal routine, I worked all day Saturday. However, during non work hours, on Friday I finished up a oak pool cue wall rack and when that was done I was sitting around in the garage and got the wild idea to start mudding my unfinished dry wall ceiling. I didn't have anything better else to do and since I had about five-5 gallon buckets of joint compound sitting in my basement I thought what the heck.

JOe

John Bailey
10-10-2005, 9:48 PM
I spent 26 hours setting up my website with my slow dial-up internet connection. The slow connection is one of the few drawbacks of living in the boonies.

Also, got some trim up on the new shop.

And, oh, I punched a few "Donate" buttons on Sunday.

John

Gredo Goldenstein
10-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Got a lot done on Saturday. Storm windows are all in place and all windows washed. Did some touch-up painting on window frames and house soffit. Cut the grass and mulched leaves. Ripped the garden out and took down garden/not-so-rodent-proof fence. Dumped garden leftovers and grass/leaves at compost. Trimmed kitchen cabinet to get new frige in place.
I think that's about it!

Sunday was visiting with my parents and a non-buying trip to Home Depot (that doesn't happen too often :p )

Andy London
10-11-2005, 9:09 AM
Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada giving a long weekend.

I hade made a long list of outdoor projects to finish up including insulating my DC pipes under the shop however ......mother nature had other ideas, rain started Friday night and today (Tuesday) 8" later it's still raining....so....

Workshop project time. I finished the install of my pellet stove, pictures to follow once I clean up and started a large order for Birdseye creamation boxes. All in all it was a great weekend, my 14 year old worked on a big cutting board order and we had a great time working togther for the three days!

http://www.picframer.ca/c1.jpg
http://www.picframer.ca/c2.jpg

Von Bickley
10-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Working with a Kubota and front-end loader getting site ready for a building.
Will build a new shop with a very small living area that we can live in while we build a small house.
Will have a lot of work starting in the near future...:)

David Duke
10-11-2005, 3:27 PM
Saturday morning was spent at the buying material for some upcoming projects (baby bed, cradle, high chair), that afternoon I completed the closet remodel in the upstairs bedrooms.

Sunday I visited with my dad all day while my two sons and their wife and girlfriend respectively, took my Mom to the Astro/Braves game. They left around 10:00am and got back around 7:30pm.......it takes a long time to play an eighteen innning ballgame!!!!!!! (My Mom is 73 and she held up better than the kids:D ) GO ASTROS!!!!!!!