PDA

View Full Version : Which multi tool?

Jim Dwight
12-30-2016, 12:16 PM
I have a HF and a Ryobi cordless multi tool. But when I was patching our oak floor where I removed a wood stove, neither would help cut the flooring. I wanted to plunge cut a board so I could remove it and both multi tools were so slow I just chiseled the cut. I used a new Bosch blade.

I didn't get a new sander for Christmas and am thinking I might need a good multi tool worse. The ones I have cut drywall great but are not very useful on anything harder. The reviews I see on You Tube and in writing indicate multi tools will cut even hardwood at a decent pace. But my cheap ones do not. They have cut off a piece of casing so I can fit flooring under it several times but they are slow at even that. I am thinking of a Fein FMM 350Q ($155), Fein FMM 350 QSL ($180), Bosch GOP40-30B ($180) or Bosch MX30EL ($120).

A big question is the type of chuck. The most expensive version of each has a "starlock" chuck which is apparently the latest and greatest. Right now, blades are about $10 each for this arrangement. Off brand blades that would fit the older model (I think) are as cheap as $2/blade. The Bosch are probably better but that is a big difference. I figure the starlock blades will probably become more common and I don't use this tool a ton so I won't have a lot in blades either way. But it is possible the starlock chuck won't continue to be the latest and greatest or that it will become the standard and the old style blades will get scarce. But it seems more likely both types of blades will be available and the price gap will decrease.

The reviews suggest the Fein is quieter and has less vibration. It also has a 3.5 amp motor versus a 4 amp for the most expensive Bosch. But I think the fein sweeps the blade a bit more and that may control speed of cut more than the motor amps. I don't consider this to be a significant factor. I'm close to buying one of the Feins.

But what would you do? Fein, Bosch or somebody else? Starlock or older style?

Jim Everson
12-30-2016, 12:29 PM
I have the Fein 350Q - I don't have any experience with the Bosch models. I haven't used the Fein a lot yet (less than 10 times). Most of my work with it has been cutting baseboards on remodels. It cuts like a hot knife in butter. Very little vibration (though as I noted, I don't have experience with other multitools for comparison). I have found myself almost looking for reasons to use it...which is always the sign that you like the tool - right?

Lee Schierer
12-30-2016, 2:32 PM
I have the Bosch MX25E model and it is a great tool. For hardwoods you want the Bosch OSC138JF blade. It cuts hardwood really well and is made for plunge cuts. I used this blade to cut through two red oak door jambs to install door operated light switches in our pantry and front closet doors.

The blade doesn't do well on nails DAMHIKT.

John Lankers
12-30-2016, 2:46 PM
It's not on your short list, but I have the 12 Volt Milwaukee and wouldn't want to be without it.

glenn bradley
12-30-2016, 2:57 PM
Forget cordless unless you are a pro that has to go to various sites with the work environment as a big unknown. Even the HF corded model cut through sub-floor and 1970's counter tile like butter. Using off-brand cutters is a waste of time. Check the reviews, the winners are pretty obvious, its not a subtle difference in performance.

John TenEyck
12-30-2016, 3:33 PM
What Glenn said. I have the HF variable speed corded model and it is a beast if you use the correct blade. I think I paid something like $40 for it. You can spend a lot more, but for my needs this one does everything I've asked of it.

John

Charles P. Wright
12-30-2016, 3:36 PM
I've got a Fein 350Q. It is my favorite portable power tool. I've used it on hardwood to cleanly cut out small sections before, and I won't say it cuts through "like butter" as it would on a door jamb, it definitely gets the job done.

I don't have Starlock. I don't find the lever to be so frustrating that I would want Starlock instead of the regular system, given that the new accessories will work on the old tools; it seems the flexibility is worth more than the simpler blade change. I have no experience with that though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Mike Dowell
12-30-2016, 5:53 PM
I have the HF one. It works, but not all blades fit it.

Brian Henderson
12-30-2016, 5:58 PM
I've got the Bosch MX-25EK, but when I moved 6 months ago, I needed one and it was already packed, so I went and bought one from HF, not expecting much, but it cut through anything that I threw at it without any problems. As everyone else has said, it's the blade that matters and if you put a good name-brand blade on it, you're golden.

Frank Pratt
12-30-2016, 6:11 PM
I have a Fein that I got when they still had the patent (really expensive then). I like it a lot; very smooth, super easy blade changes, plenty of power.

james glenn
12-30-2016, 6:24 PM
,I have the Ridgid corded model and really like it. The biggest aspects of this one, for me, are the interchangeable heads. I use it quite a bit for all sorts of tasks.

But as others have stated, it is the quality of the blade used that makes the biggest difference. I would also agree the chorded model is much better with more and longer lasting power.

Mike Hollingsworth
12-30-2016, 6:29 PM
It's not on your short list, but I have the 12 Volt Milwaukee and wouldn't want to be without it.

I've owned two of the Feins and prefer my new Milwaukee Cordless.

Ole Anderson
12-30-2016, 7:25 PM
You don't need to spend a ton of money to get a multi-tool that will cut oak. I have a Dremel MM20 2.4 amps, corded and it works fine on hardwood.

John K Jordan
12-30-2016, 8:19 PM
+1 on the Fein. I used mine a LOT when building my shop on a variety of materials.

JKJ

Bill Adamsen
12-30-2016, 8:23 PM
I have one of the less expensive Dremels, which works just fine. I use it a lot for general carpentry and cabinetry (fitting). I'm sure the Fein and Festool are really top equipment - more than once I've picked them up at the lumber yard - just to sense the quality. But the cost difference is pretty significant, and the Dremel hasn't held me back or compromised the quality of my work. The difference maker for me - in terms of performance - was getting the Imperial Storm Blades.

I recently used the Dremel to cut a square hole in sheetrock following lines drawn in a ceiling where a plumber needed access and was standing there counting the seconds. It performed flawlessly and it was easy to replace the sheetrock when done. I was pleasantly surprised and I must say converted from a keyhole saw or knife wielder.

One drawback is I don't know of any machine hat has dust collection. From what I've seen, you are pretty much going to need to hold a vacuum hose or get someone to do that for you as you cut.

Update: Just looked at the tool, and in fact it has what most would consider a lightweight 1.5 amp motor ... but as I said, it works fine for me. One improvement I made (thanks Craig for the idea) ... the case wouldn't close with anyone's blade but the anemic Dremels that came with it ... I had been unscrewing the blades each time I put the tool away, when a friend showed me how he had simply sliced the box. Great idea and eliminated a huge source of frustration.

Jim Dwight
12-30-2016, 8:58 PM
Thanks for all the input. I ordered the Fein 350Q (not the newer QSL). All the reviews indicate the QSL doesn't cut faster or make less noise or vibrate less. It just has a little better blade change system. The new blades fit the older tool so an old one will use new or old style blades but the new one will only use the new blades. After looking at the results of the Fine Woodworking review, I decided I wanted Bosch blades, so I didn't save anything on them by going with the older style tool. Getting the older style 350 almost paid for a 5 pack of Bosch blades.

I agree the HF multi tool works but in my experience it doesn't cut oak flooring very well - even with a new Bosch blade (might not have been the optimum blade but it was new). I also tried using it to trim some window frame (after making the wall 3/4 inch narrower) and it didn't work satisfactorily for that either. It vibrated horribly damaging the drywall but did slowly cut the frame (3/4 softwood). I eventually gave up and used a block plane. This is a late Christmas present from my wife who like to "buy the best". I also like to use nice tools but the best brand for about the same price as the other good brands seems like it fits both her "best" style and my bargain shopping.

I'm going to wait and trim a door frame that is too wide (was just made wrong by a former owner) with the new tool when it arrives. It is even more of a block plane job (need to remove less than 1/4 inch, much less in spots) but will be a good way to see the difference. I will also try plunge cut in an oak flooring scrap. I am pretty sure it will go better with the Fein but we'll see.

Bill Orbine
12-30-2016, 9:20 PM
Thanks for all the input. I ordered the Fein 350Q (not the newer QSL). All the reviews indicate the QSL doesn't cut faster or make less noise or vibrate less. It just has a little better blade change system. The new blades fit the older tool so an old one will use new or old style blades but the new one will only use the new blades. After looking at the results of the Fine Woodworking review, I decided I wanted Bosch blades, so I didn't save anything on them by going with the older style tool. Getting the older style 350 almost paid for a 5 pack of Bosch blades.

I agree the HF multi tool works but in my experience it doesn't cut oak flooring very well - even with a new Bosch blade (might not have been the optimum blade but it was new). I also tried using it to trim some window frame (after making the wall 3/4 inch narrower) and it didn't work satisfactorily for that either. It vibrated horribly damaging the drywall but did slowly cut the frame (3/4 softwood). I eventually gave up and used a block plane. This is a late Christmas present from my wife who like to "buy the best". I also like to use nice tools but the best brand for about the same price as the other good brands seems like it fits both her "best" style and my bargain shopping.

I'm going to wait and trim a door frame that is too wide (was just made wrong by a former owner) with the new tool when it arrives. It is even more of a block plane job (need to remove less than 1/4 inch, much less in spots) but will be a good way to see the difference. I will also try plunge cut in an oak flooring scrap. I am pretty sure it will go better with the Fein but we'll see.

You will be happy, happy, happy! The Fein will plunge cut very well, however....... The key with the plunge cut is to clear the dust from the cut otherwise it'll clog and burn the blade. So keep the blade moving to clear dust build-up and avoid the heat and smoke.

Charles P. Wright
12-30-2016, 11:05 PM
I'm sure the Fein and Festool are really top equipment - more than once I've picked them up at the lumber yard - just to sense the quality.

I don't think the Festool supports sanding, but the Fein does have the option to work as a detail sander; and there are a few places I found that handy.

One drawback is I don't know of any machine hat has dust collection. From what I've seen, you are pretty much going to need to hold a vacuum hose or get someone to do that for you as you cut.

The Fein kit does have a dust collector attachment. I couldn't use a regular shop vac hose on it though, but it works with the Rockler universal blue hose ends and the Festool 26mm hose connector.

Robert Parent
12-31-2016, 7:49 AM
I have owned an original Fein variable speed model (since it was introduced) and it has been a great tool for remodel work. I can see some advantages to some of the newer features but have no plans to replace the Fein.

Robert

Chris Fournier
12-31-2016, 7:59 AM
I have a Fein that I got when they still had the patent (really expensive then). I like it a lot; very smooth, super easy blade changes, plenty of power.

Me too. It has been flawless for over ten years.

John Lanciani
12-31-2016, 9:18 AM
I use my cordless Bosch 10x more than my corded Fein. To me, this type of tool is far more valuable when it's not tied to the wall. I found tons of uses for it when i got the cordless that I would never drag the Fein out for.

Lee Schierer
12-31-2016, 9:46 AM

Bosch has a dust pick up accessory (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-Oscillating-Tool-Multi-Flex/3773871?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SosPneu,Air,RotaryShopEquip-_-3773871:Bosch&CAWELAID=&kpid=3773871&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=9576679f-f720-426a-a450-77ffa38b19ec) for their multi tool. I don't own one so I can't speak as to how well it works.

Tim Bueler
12-31-2016, 11:24 AM
I have both a Fein 350Q and a Dremel. Dremel is mostly used by DW as a detail sander. I've used the Fein for lots of different things. As someone else said, i like it so much I look for reasons to use it. One word of advice, when you snap in a new blade make sure your fingers are out of the way. When that baby snaps closed it really snaps. Ouch!

Thomas Marr
12-31-2016, 5:51 PM
I have the corroded Fein, the battery powered Fein, the HF version (for my employee), a Ryobi version, and the battery powered Dewalt. Given the choice, I'll grab the Dewalt first, and the corded Fein second. The battery powered Fein is powerful but it's a vibration monster compared to the corded Fein. The Ryobi, surprisingly, isn't too bad...especially for the money. The Dewalt is very nice with a proper sized battery (e.g., 5 AH if you're doing much).

Wayne Cannon
01-01-2017, 3:47 AM
In my experience, the blade makes more difference than the tool. I've had the best results with fairly coarse, long, Japanese-style teeth, usually Bosch (most readily available to me), and light pressure.

When purchasing a tool, assure that it can use blades from a variety of different vendors. Some vendors have blade chucks/clamps that limit your choice of blade manufacturers.

Jim Dwight
01-04-2017, 7:29 PM
My Fein 350Q arrived late yesterday evening and I tried it out a few minutes ago. I had a scrap of the old 3/4 oak flooring I tried cutting with the HF in the shop so I tried cross cutting it with the Fein. I first tried the blade that I had used in the HF. It was a metal/wood Dremel (not a Bosch like I said earlier). The Fein went through the flooring in about 30 seconds. Vibration was noticeably low but noise was not. So I decided to try the HF with the same blade. Closer to a minute. About 50 seconds one time and 55 the other. The higher vibration made it more difficult to cut accurately with. But it worked better than I thought it was when I was patching the floor. Next I dug out the wood blade from the kit of Bosch blades I bought at the same time as the Fein tool. The Fein went through the flooring in about 15 seconds with that blade and the HF did it in about 25 seconds.

So I could have used it on the floor with the blade I had but I would have had difficulty getting a straight cut. With the wood blade, it would have been quicker but no easier to control. The Fein is about twice as fast with either blade and easier to control. Does that make it worth over $100 more? Maybe to me. The control thing is not minor. It could mean the difference between usable and "I'll find another way" for me. But the HF will do the same job in about twice the time.

I haven't tried cutting the door jambs yet. Probably will do that this weekend (if the wife will tolerate the noise). I'm curious if the reduced vibration of the Fein will make the drywall damage enough less that it works for that - where the HF didn't for me.

I am also a bit curious about Dremel versus Bosch blades. The Fine Woodworking tests suggest a huge difference in favor of the Bosch. I didn't try the Bosch equivalent of the Dremel blade I have just to see the difference. I am skeptical that it is that large a difference between two blades of the same design. But my simple little tests did convince me that using an optimum blade for what you are cutting makes a significant difference, regardless of the tool. That was suggested earlier in this thread and it is correct. It is especially important if you use a less than optimum tool.

I also use multi-tool to cut drywall. I doubt I will do that with the Fein, however. I don't think the dust is great for the tool and I'd rather risk the HF. It zips right through it, even with a HF blade. But for cutting wood, I like the low vibration and speed of cut of the Fein.