PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 Quill disassembly

Brian Brown
12-30-2016, 11:51 AM
Every winter when it get cold, (I heat my shop when I'm working) the quill on my lathe starts to get hard to turn. It is especially bad when I am trying to drill with it, and there is extra pressure on it. It sticks worse in the center area of travel than it does on both ends. I lubricated the "center" end yesterday with some light machine oil, and it seemed to get worse. I took the hand wheel off, and oiled from that end, and it helped. It just does not seem to be getting the oil in the center. It may have some sawdust inside. I can't imagine where that came from. :D Can anybody describe the process of disassembling the quill on a 46-46, or point me to a video. Do you have any other ideas to helped get it moving freely? I would ate to ruin it, and have to go through the cost and hassle of Delta parts. Thanks for the help.

Dennis Peacock
12-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Brian,
I would disassemble it, clean it real good and lube with WD40 or something of the like. The diagram appears to not be bad at all with taking it apart:
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-46460-type-variable-speed-midi-lathe-parts-c-3275_9659_157556.html

I have not taken one apart but it's just what I'd do if I had the same problem.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-30-2016, 5:30 PM
Brian I also have a Delta 46-460, I greased the tailstock right after I brought it home, especially on the inside where the pressure is against the housing, and on both the threaded spindle and the inside of the quill.

The other part that needs attention is the lock handle end that rides in the quill, I would have a good look at those two parts, as it could easily get a rough edge on either one and start binding, I find that the tailstock could have been build better, it’s not up to the quality of the rest of the machine, but a file would clean that up easily, after that keep it greased and clean when ever it starts to gunk up.

Dennis Peacock
01-03-2017, 4:03 PM
Hey Brian,
what did you decide on your quill?

Brian Brown
01-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Dennis,

I haven't had time to take it apart yet. I hate having to wok for a living! Your ERP diagram will help. I was going to do it on Saturday, but 3 months ago I got a new extension for the lathe, and put it on Saturday. It ended up being longer than I expected, so I had to build an extension on my lathe cabinet. By the time I finished and got the lathe bolted down, I had fully burned the day. I hope to get a little time tomorrow evening but it will likely be Saturday. Thanks for the diagram and advice.

James Combs
01-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Brian, it looks very simiar in construction to my Jet. If so just remove the hand crank and locking screw/handle and it should slide out towards the head stock. On mine the crank is the main retention part for the quill.

James Combs
01-04-2017, 10:31 AM
After it is out, unscrew the threaded shaft from the center of the quill, clean it good relube and reassemble. You should be good too go. As others mentioned check for and remove any burrs and or ruff spots before lubing and reassembly. Good luck.