PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem

lowell holmes
12-30-2016, 8:57 AM
The love of my life gave me a $250 gift card from Lee Valley for Christmas.

I have so many toys, I can't find anything I just have to have.

Rob Lee needs to introduce one of his infamous gadgets that I can't do without.

James Pallas
12-30-2016, 8:06 PM
Wow Lowell! You are the first person I ever heard of that couldn't find a got to have it in the Lee Valley catalog. I wish I could say that:)
Jim

Dale Murray
12-30-2016, 9:18 PM
I love my 4-1/2 custom. If you dont have one I would highly recommend it.

Jim Koepke
12-30-2016, 11:19 PM
Lee Valley also carries hardware and garden supplies.

Has there been a recent thought of a different tool on a project?

jtk

Bill Houghton
12-30-2016, 11:34 PM
Lowell,

I know what you mean, in a way. I look at my wish list at every free shipping event, and wind up not ordering anything.

lowell holmes
12-30-2016, 11:42 PM
I'm thinking of adding all of the accessories for my small plow plane. That should make it comparable to the old plow planes that Jim Koepke talks about.

There is a wide blade conversion for the plane. I already have the tongue and beading blades.

I could then make a wooden box to store the plane and accessories in. I've been looking for a project.

Dale, I don't have the 4 1/2, but I do have a 5 1/2 Bailey. I also have the 604, 605, and 607 Stanley planes. I've had them for probably 15 years.
I know the 4 1/2 is a desirable Plane. Paul Sellers had one when I attended some of his classes.

Dan Barr
12-31-2016, 2:02 AM
Lee valley/veritas jack rabbet!

Malcolm Schweizer
12-31-2016, 10:50 AM
I got $150 and plan to put it towards their plow plane. It's the one tool that I keep wanting and never am able to justify the cost, but as my work changes I find myself more and more needing to make straight grooves and beads, so I believe it's time.

Just had a thought- since you aren't using that $250 gift card, and I need another $250 for my purchase... I'll PM you my address.

Shawn Pixley
12-31-2016, 11:00 AM
The love of my life gave me a $250 gift card from Lee Valley for Christmas.

I have so many toys, I can't find anything I just have to have.

Rob Lee needs to introduce one of his infamous gadgets that I can't do without.

I sympathize. I really don't need any more tools either. The ones I have are good and I know how to use them. People want to get me a new tool and I have to turn them down. I know, positively unAmerican.

Dan Barr
12-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Just had a thought- since you aren't using that $250 gift card, and I need another $250 for my purchase... I'll PM you my address.

😎 Yea, me too.

lowell holmes
12-31-2016, 11:23 PM
I settled on the Large Shoulder Plane with Brass Knobs. It will fill out my plane collection.

Eric Keller
01-01-2017, 12:30 AM
I wish I had that problem. Certainly there are times when they have free shipping and I don't buy anything, but I'm sure I could spend $10k there without breaking a sweat if money were no object.

William Fretwell
01-02-2017, 12:12 PM
When you start out you do a lot with very little. Then it gets a bit easier with more. You need 3 chisels but have 9. You need 2 planes but have 7. When you have lots of stuff you remember how much you did with little and realise you don't really do more, except maintain and sharpen more.
Your 'problem' might be you know how to use what you have.
There are only so many ways to present a cutting edge to wood. Refining that edge with good sharpening tools may be the best way to improve your woodwork.
After that it's all about the design of the piece.