PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop questions

kevin nee
12-30-2016, 6:56 AM
Hello, I am going to a shop today that has a Sawstop. We are working on a joint venture. I will be supplying some Birdseye Maple that was kiln dried & and sitting in my barn for a few years. Very dry stock. My question is: Yesterday while loading the stock into my SUV it was snowing. The material was hit with snowflakes causing wet spots. Will this small amount of moisture cause the saw to trip. It has sat over night and I will have the heat on for the one hour ride.
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Larry Frank
12-30-2016, 7:09 AM
I do not think it will trip it.

I worry the most about wet pressure treated wood.

mreza Salav
12-30-2016, 9:16 AM
Short answer is No. For it to trip the wood should be wet enough to be conductive.

Robert Chapman
12-30-2016, 9:30 AM
That will not cause the SawStop to trip.

Ben Rivel
12-30-2016, 12:30 PM
If it would trip to do that I imagine it would not allow you to actually turn the motor on once it went through its start up routine when you turn on its main power. I think youll be fine using it.

Mike Henderson
12-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Before you switch on the motor, push one of the boards against the blade. If you don't get a red light, you're generally good to go.

Mike

Nick Decker
12-30-2016, 4:44 PM
I'm a fairly new SawStop owner, but it's my understanding that you can do this:

Saw your first board with the safety mode turned off. While doing so, if the wood is too wet, the lights on the control panel will flash, telling you that if you had cut this board with safety mode ON, it would have fired the brake. That should give you a better idea of the moisture content inside the board.

Pretty sure I saw that in one of their promotional videos, but if it's wrong I stand ready to be corrected.

Ted Prinz
12-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Nick & Mike have the answers (+1)

kevin nee
12-30-2016, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, everything went smooth. Kevin