PDA

View Full Version : Gfi

Tony Zona
12-29-2016, 11:09 PM
We just bought a new range. It trips the Ground Fault Interrupter when we try to light the broiler. The dealer said the range won't work with a GFI in the circuit, and that it is in the manual.

I can't find it there.

It is a KitchenAid. Am I being misled?

What's up with a manufacture not wanting a GFI in the circuit?

I haven't tried to call the manufacturer yet.

william watts
12-29-2016, 11:28 PM
If that's a gas range and the broiler lights with a spark igniter the range will not work with a GFI. The spark to the burner is seen by the GFI as ground fault and trips. In fact the arc to the burner is the definition of a ground fault.

Bill

Tony Zona
12-29-2016, 11:44 PM
Thank you very much. I never thought of it that way.

The burner sparks work ok. The broiler trips it.

william watts
12-30-2016, 12:00 AM
Well Tony, I have no idea why the surface burners do not trip the GFI. It seems they should trip the GFI also. Darn, that calls into question my previous explanation:( Someone may be along to clear this up

Bill

Jim Koepke
12-30-2016, 2:52 AM
Google > gfi stove igniter <

jtk

Bob Grier
12-30-2016, 8:45 AM
I don't think a GFI is required or even recommended for some kitchen appliances like stoves and refrigerators. I remember this from when I installed new appliances a few years ago. I just don't remember the details of which ones. I would be wary about using GFI with refrigerator/freezer. I don't think your stove needs one. Electric stoves and ovens don't have GFI in circuit. I think stove/oven is required to be wired with dedicated circuit in new houses.

Of course, there could be bad wiring or an electric fault in the oven. I think igniters use high voltage DC electricity and might even use the ground to complete the circuit. Maybe this could cause problem with GFI.

Talk to electrician. Search internet for "stove igniter trips gfi". Maybe you can find an answer.

Ole Anderson
12-30-2016, 9:45 AM
Don't know why you would want a GFI on a stove circuit unless it has a 120 outlet somewhere near the sink. I presume your GFI is only on that circuit and it is not a whole house GFI?

Jim Becker
12-30-2016, 10:29 AM
A circuit for a range auxiliary power connection is usually separate from normal kitchen circuits and therefore, wouldn't be on the GFCI circuits required for general kitchen use.

Kev Williams
12-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Since a 1.5v AA battery fires 6 igniters at once in my BBQ, this all seems a bit much ;)

In checking out my new gas range, I notice the burners look to be cast aluminum with 'silver paint' which I'm sure is a ceramic or other heat-proof coating. They sit on the grounded stainless bottom, but their coating electrically insulates them from the stainless. Your burners may be much the same, the top burners arcing with no effect to the grounded housing.

But your oven's igniter may be arcing to a point that's not electrically insulated from the grounded housing, or is arcing to the housing directly, which WOULD trip a GFI.

Which all seems perfectly normal. Which means I agree with everyone else, you just need to lose the GFI on the range circuit. :)