PDA

View Full Version : Incra router table+LS positioner+superfence

dan baldwin
12-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Hi-- I use my current router table (Kreg system) a fair bit. The router lift and bit height adjustment are fine, but I am constantly struggling with getting an accurate position on the fence. I spend a LOT of time getting a precise position. I'm thinking of selling or giving away my current table system and buying an Incra table with the 17" LS positioner and super fence. I have read some posts about this combo and people either love it or find it too complex. Even the people who love it say they hate it sometimes. Assuming that money or space issues are not a consideration, what would be the issues that might cause even the fans to dislike it ? It seems like an ideal system.

Andy Giddings
12-29-2016, 10:38 PM
I've used the LS on a table saw without a super fence. I would have thought that once you dial the fence face into the router's center, it would be easy to use and take away a lot of the nudging you need to do without it? Will be interested to see other users comments

Prashun Patel
12-29-2016, 10:46 PM
What owner of the LS positioner + superfence hates it sometimes?

It's a fantastic system for accuracy. The only complaint I have is that there are 5 recessed screws in the fence that you have to loosen in various combinations to adjust the fence opening or adjust the shim. But once I labeled them, that's gone away.

Assuming you have the shop space to accommodate the eccentric table, and can afford the relatively high price tag, I can't think of any downsides.

This being said, I suggest before you throw your Kreg baby out with the bathwater, you describe what operation you're having trouble adjusting for. I suspect there's a relatively painless way to solve your issue without changing the whole system; plenty of people have conventional fences that work superbly for all ops.

Mark Carlson
12-29-2016, 10:51 PM
I love mine. Very accurate with great dust collection. I agree with Prashun about the screws. I need to label. I dont use it for dovetails or box joints.

Joe Cowan
12-30-2016, 11:05 AM
I have the Incra router table with all the bells and whistles and love it. I did the inlay dovetails right out of the gate. Not complex as far as use in my opinion.

Hoang N Nguyen
12-30-2016, 11:40 AM
I have one that's mounted on the wing of my table saw and love it. My only complaint is that it's on my table.

dan baldwin
12-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks all-- I'm probably going to go for it (one of these days). The main issue I have with the Kreg fence is with the squaring adjustment screws on the right side. If they are too tight, the fence doesn't move, if they are too loose, the fence moves fine but there is a lot of play between the right and left sides which causes the fence to bind and change position when it is locked down. I'm always fiddling with these screws and the optimal setting is difficult to achieve. Very small nudges are difficult if those screws are not adjusted perfectly. Also, precise fence nudging requires disconnecting the dust collection from the fence as the hose drags along the back of my table (I could probably ameliorate this). I think the center mounted, screw based Incra fence and the side mounted dust collection of the Superfence will not have these issues.

I wish I could say that the Incra table will fit perfectly in my small shop, but its going to be a squeeze. Honestly, I constantly vacillate between keeping the Kreg and replacing it with the Incra.

John Lankers
12-30-2016, 12:20 PM
The Incra Positioner with Superfence is a very, very nice setup. It is extremely accurate, repeatable and versatile but this is what makes it a bit more complex than others.
To be honest, I use my old Freud fence most of the time because it is so simple to set up and sufficient for most operations.

dan baldwin
12-30-2016, 1:09 PM
The Incra Positioner with Superfence is a very, very nice setup. It is extremely accurate, repeatable and versatile but this is what makes it a bit more complex than others.
To be honest, I use my old Freud fence most of the time because it is so simple to set up and sufficient for most operations.

Thanks John. This is the kind of scenario I'm curious about. If I go the Incra route, it will be my only router table. Lets say you needed to cut rabbits (for the bottom) and dados (for side hung rails) in some drawer parts, using say a 5/8" straight bit. What Incra related complexities would cause you to use your Freud fence instead of the Incra ?

Keith Hankins
12-30-2016, 1:37 PM
I've had my LS120 router table fence for 12+ years. Love it Love it Love it. Accuracy down to the thou and the offset fence fanstastic.

I've had my wood pecker PRL as long and its the best lift I ever seen. A year of so ago I had a part go on it and called them and they replaced it for free including shipping.

I'd build my own table if I was you. That will be better than anything you could buy. I build mine and modified it a bit to leverage the LS120. Raised it a bit and put it on casters. Plans were Norms plans.

Good luck.

Earl McLain
12-30-2016, 3:25 PM
I've had my LS120 router table fence for 12+ years. Love it Love it Love it. Accuracy down to the thou and the offset fence fanstastic.

I've had my wood pecker PRL as long and its the best lift I ever seen. A year of so ago I had a part go on it and called them and they replaced it for free including shipping.

I'd build my own table if I was you. That will be better than anything you could buy. I build mine and modified it a bit to leverage the LS120. Raised it a bit and put it on casters. Plans were Norms plans.

Good luck.

Keith--I really like the stained glass on the RT!! That's one of the coolest shop cabinets I've seen.

Dan--my first table was (still is) a Bench Dog with their 32" fence. Picked up an old Incra Pro to which I added the Wonder Fence, then a few years later caught a deal on an LS-17 and sold the Pro. Last summer I added another table, Incra 43" with LS-25 and moved the Wonder Fence over. I've intended to keep the Bench Dog & 17" for a second set-up--but I haven't touched that table since July, so it may get sold. Bottom line--when I started with the Incra systems they seemed complex. Now 4 years or so later, it seems like nothing could be simpler. On my TS-LS table saw fence I just set the positioner to my width of cut--and then cut. No measuring, nothing...just cut. Don't know where you're located, but if you want to give the Incra a try, I've got a spare system to at least test.

earl

John Lankers
12-30-2016, 3:30 PM
Thanks John. This is the kind of scenario I'm curious about. If I go the Incra route, it will be my only router table. Lets say you needed to cut rabbits (for the bottom) and dados (for side hung rails) in some drawer parts, using say a 5/8" straight bit. What Incra related complexities would cause you to use your Freud fence instead of the Incra ?

Dan, I had to think hard to come up with a plausible explanation, but here it goes. First I have to install the mounting block on the table (my router table doubles as assembly table), mount the Incra fence, adjust the fence halves, set the scale on the rail to the bit, dial in the dado width or whatever and make the cut and quite often I still need to make a test cut and readjust the settings. Whereas with the "Plain Jane" Freud fence I line up the bit to the fence with a ruler, make a test cut, readjust the fence and go. It's just more convenient from a mental perspective I think. Nevertheless, the Incra fence is an incredible tool, if you're in to fancy joinery it opens the door to a whole different level of Woodworking.

Prashun Patel
12-30-2016, 5:08 PM
Dan-
Don't forget to factor in a LIFT. Bit changing is by far my biggest inconvenience to using the router table. If you choose the MastRLiftII then your height adjustment becomes super precise.

As for Keith's statement that built router tables are superior to store bought ones (and I respect Keith, so this is no slight to him, but I believe this to be a myth). There are great store bought router tables. The Incra system, while jiggy and expensive, is as accurate and flat and reliable as any Norm-inspired table out there. Don't believe the hype (or mine for that matter). There are fantastic solutions EITHER WAY!

I repeat: what is your specific problem with the Kreg? It's a great fence (I haven't used it, but it gets fantastic reviews) and it should be made to work wonderfully for you.

If you're thinking specifically about rabbets, beware that the flatness of your piece makes a difference too. I often choose to do rabbets with a handheld router for this reason...

dan baldwin
12-30-2016, 5:27 PM
Thanks all again-- Great info.
Prashun-- I attempted to outline my issue with the Kreg a few posts above (see post #7).
I planned on getting the Incra MastRLiftII as well. I have everything (43" table,lift,dust collection,17" LS, wheels,super fence) ready to go in a shopping cart at incrementaltools.com, I just have to hit the checkout button. Keith's table is beautiful, but I don't really want to build my own table.
Thanks for the offer Earl, but I live in Boulder,Co.