PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for box beam size

James Yanco
12-29-2016, 3:31 PM
Hi everybody, first time posting. My question is simple, is there a rule of thumb or some type of calculator when building box beams?

My winter project is building a distressed/rustic 3 sided box beam and mounting it to the peak of the vaulted ceiling. Beam will be made out of one bys and the over all length is 16 feet. Height of the vaulted ceiling is about 22 feet. I would like to build the beam but in sure on how to size it. Is 6x8 good? 8x10? Don't want to build it and have it look small but don't want to build it and have giant thing hanging there. Oh, the vaulted ceiling is the standard 6 inch white pine tong an groove boards, 6 can lights in ceiling and fan in middle.

Thanks!!!

Jerry Miner
12-29-2016, 4:33 PM
No rule of thumb. Scale it to the room. Maybe mock up a short section---you could even use cardboard-- and see how it looks.

Bill Adamsen
12-29-2016, 5:14 PM
Jerry's suggestion of a mock up makes sense. That's what I've done with coffered ceilings and it very helpful - typically even more so than a 3-d rendering. It also let's you explore the sub-structure - how you intend to attach it to the ceiling.

James Yanco
12-29-2016, 7:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I have some one bys that should work well. Have to see if I have any conduit laying around to make some sort of extension rod. See if the wife wants to help, lol