PDA

View Full Version : My WolfSnout Dust Mask

Keith Outten
12-29-2016, 2:20 PM
Early this Fall I purchased a WolfSnout (http://wolfsnout.com/purchase_atv_dust_mask.html) dust mask for one of my ATV Mountain riding trips. Over a long weekend my riding buddy and I had an opportunity to join a large group of riders. Based on my experience riding with this group, and some very dusty roads often behind 6 to seven other machines, my WolfSnout dust mask was a life saver. Often the dust was so thick visibility was just a few yards ahead of my machine, probably 100 times worse than any dust conditions you would ever expect in a woodworking shop.

The WolfSnout dust mask was comfortable to wear and never fogged up my glasses no matter what the conditions we incurred over a 12 hour day riding in West Virginia. At the end of the day based on the instructions that came with my dust mask I rinsed it with cold water and hung it up to dry. It was clean and ready to go the next morning.

I now have a reusable dust mask that also works for cutting grass and any work shop activities that I don't mind wearing because its comfortable and does an excellent job. Visit the WolfSnout web site and check out their videos, you will see their unique design that makes all the difference.

Ben Rivel
12-29-2016, 4:58 PM
Is there any data showing how something like this compares to a proven standard like a 3M 6500 or 7500 series respirator with the pink particulate filters?!

Nick Decker
12-29-2016, 5:33 PM
I'm wondering about their claim that they stay on your face without straps. If they do, I'd probably try one. I wear glasses and (usually) a ball cap. The straps make a mask a major wardrobe thing, so I often just don't use them.

Joe Bradshaw
12-29-2016, 9:51 PM
Nick, check out the RZ masks.
Joe

Nick Decker
12-30-2016, 6:23 AM
Thanks, Joe, will do.

Frank Pratt
12-30-2016, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't use one in the shop. The website makes not claims about filter efficiency, and it is only a foam filter, so I doubt it would stop any of the sub-micron wood dust that is so hazardous. In fact, the site has a warning against using the mask with hazardous dust.

Rick Moyer
12-30-2016, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't use one in the shop. The website makes not claims about filter efficiency, and it is only a foam filter, so I doubt it would stop any of the sub-micron wood dust that is so hazardous. In fact, the site has a warning against using the mask with hazardous dust.
Yeah, this would be my concern in the wood shop, too. Looks ideal for outdoor irritants though.

Keith Outten
12-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Ben, the WolfSnout is a dust mask not a respirator so I don't think we can compare the two. It wouldn't be my choice for spraying laquer, paint or other types of solvent materials. For shop dust it works fine and its affordable for a reusable mask.

Nick, I think the comment about not needing a strap is for those who wear the mask with a helmet. The chin area of an ATV or dirt bike style helmet is supposed to hold the mask against your face but it didn't keep it tight enough for me so I use the strap. You are supposed to place the strap high up on the back of your head to keep the proper fit against your nose. The strap is a very thin flexible material that provides the necessary tension without being tight so its pretty comfortable. I haven't had any problems with the strap interfering with my glasses either in my shop or when mountain riding.

If this mask can filter out extreme exposure to road dust I have no problem trusting it in my shop for woodworking dust. For over an hour we were riding a cinder logging road four lanes wide and the dust was so thick visibility was terrible. Trail riding is also a nasty experience when there hasn't been any rain in weeks. After twelve hours I had zero dust on the area of my face that was covered by the mask. That's been my experience, YMMV.

Ben Rivel
12-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Well I guess if it fits better for you, but for the same about of money one can get a 3M 6500 respirator and some P100 particulate filters. Many of us wear respirators even when cutting wood. Different strokes I guess.

Frank Pratt
12-30-2016, 6:17 PM
I don't doubt that, but if the manufacturer warns not to use it with hazardous dust (and sub-micron wood dust is most definitely hazardous) then that would indicate that it isn't filtering the real fine stuff. Your choice though.

After twelve hours I had zero dust on the area of my face that was covered by the mask. That's been my experience, YMMV.