PDA

View Full Version : What wood should I save when home remodeling?

Michael Walton
12-29-2016, 10:41 AM
I live in a house built in 1940, and we are about to undergo some construction where we will be tearing apart part of the house. There are a few pieces of wood that I'd like to save (the old pine stairs, etc.) but I'm guessing if it isn't hardword, it isn't worth saving. Am I right? It isn't exactly an 1810 barn. Does it make sense to save some of the bigger beams?

Sam Murdoch
12-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Full of broken nails or other hardware - lathered with layers of paint or unknown stains/mold etc - TOSS that stuff. More work or potential hazard than it's worth. Otherwise if you have room to store as you disassemble save whatever intrigues you or will give you building material some day with interesting back stories. Down side to this type of demo is that you will be slowing yourself down with extra work and extra cogitatin' BUT you might also have more fun. Your call. :)

Larry Edgerton
12-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Full of broken nails or other hardware - lathered with layers of paint or unknown stains/mold etc - TOSS that stuff. More work or potential hazard than it's worth. Otherwise if you have room to store as you disassemble save whatever intrigues you or will give you building material some day with interesting back stories. Down side to this type of demo is that you will be slowing yourself down with extra work and extra cogitatin' BUT you might also have more fun. Your call. :)

What he said!

Hi Sam.

Victor Robinson
12-29-2016, 11:52 AM
Have been doing the same and I've saved a decent amount of framing lumber. The stuff from the 1930s is just gorgeous old growth Redwood and DF. Softwood but plenty hard enough for a great bench. Even the framing lumber from a 1980s remodel is heavy, straight, and solid. You just don't see growth rings that tight anymore.

John K Jordan
12-29-2016, 12:02 PM
If it was an 1810 barn I'd say look for American Chestnut. The '40s, not so much.

If you have salvageable timber you could make a local farmer happy, especially with larger sizes. We build a lot of things with recycled wood.

JKJ

Robert Engel
12-29-2016, 12:04 PM
You know, I'm a wood hoarder but I just don't think there's much gained from saving demo wood EXCEPT:

Pine stair treads can be re-sawn into drawer sides or used to make utility cabinets or drawer faces.

The bigger beams they can be re-sawn into usable lumber.

Years ago I saved a bunch of heart pine 2x4's (actual 2" X 4"). They were practically unusable you couldn't drive a nail without drilling a hole first. Ended up in the burn pile about 5 years later.....

Same thing with a bunch of fir trim and panelling I saved.

Michael Walton
12-30-2016, 9:04 AM
Reliving my past experiences working with reclaimed wood, I forgot how difficult it might be to condition it. I will probably keep the pine stairs and whatever wide boards I can.