PDA

View Full Version : I need a single stairway newel post

lowell holmes
12-28-2016, 3:39 PM
On my Daughter and Son-in-law's house.There is a broken newel post on the front porch.

I decided I will fix it for them. The problem I have is the big box stores don't seem to stock them and they must be ordered in quantities of 40.

I do not have a lathe. I have not wanted to buy one for my garage shop. Do you have any suggestions.

I can make a scale drawing of what I want in AutoCad.

John TenEyck
12-28-2016, 3:50 PM
Have you searched on the web for one? Lots of companies supply stair parts. Another option is to take it to a local millwork shop and have them turn a new one.

John

lowell holmes
12-28-2016, 3:58 PM
Have you searched on the web for one? Lots of companies supply stair parts. Another option is to take it to a local millwork shop and have them turn a new one.

I figure that I will find someone to turn one for me. The posts online are either red oak or pine. I prefer white oak for outside use. I may be able to get one at Houston Hardwoods. The post would be expensive.

I called it a newell, but it is a baluster. I just found one on line for $25. That sounds like a good price to me.

Greg Hines, MD
12-28-2016, 4:14 PM
I had this problem with our staircase inside our house, as one of the balusters got broken when we moved in. Finding the exact one was impossible, and I ended up gluing the broken pieces back together.

Doc

Mike Heidrick
12-28-2016, 4:19 PM
Seek out a local turning club. Post a wanted add on craigslist.

Lee Schierer
12-28-2016, 4:44 PM
Seek out a local turning club. Post a wanted add on craigslist.

Or for $6.00 become a contributor here and post a want ad where thousands of woodworkers will see it.