PDA

View Full Version : Mcm sideboard/credenza

Cathy Haley
12-28-2016, 2:46 PM
Not sure where to post this question so I am adding it here. I am about to refinish a mcm credenza made in 1965 by the Honderich co of Ontario. When I removed the sliding doors from their tracks, I noticed that the backs of doors are taped. Since it is all 3 of them and the tape itself looks old, it appears that this is part of the manufacturing. Can anyone explain why they would make the doors this way? Thanks350270350271

Andy Giddings
12-28-2016, 3:59 PM
Am assuming that this is a replacement tape that somebody stuck on when the original tape broke - certainly looks like a homework job. I believe the tape ensures the doors slide as a single unit and is something you normally see in a curved track with a tambour door. Unless the 3 doors are joined together in some other way?

Cathy Haley
12-28-2016, 4:56 PM
Am assuming that this is a replacement tape that somebody stuck on when the original tape broke - certainly looks like a homework job. I believe the tape ensures the doors slide as a single unit and is something you normally see in a curved track with a tambour door. Unless the 3 doors are joined together in some other way?

Thanks for the reply. What I posted were the pix of one door. Each door has sections which the tape seems to keep in place but all 3 doors have the tape and it is the same tape. What I don't understand is why they made the doors like that in the first place. When I first saw them, I thought they had been mended but that doesn't seem to be the case. Most of the sliding doors that I have encountered ( used to have a teak kitchen) were in one piece.

glenn bradley
12-28-2016, 5:04 PM
No help but, I just had a hilarious visual of some poor soul re-working a piece of mine 60 years from now and asking "why did he do that?" :D:D:D