PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying this jointer

Luke Grohovsky
12-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Picked this up at a garage sale for $10. Any idea what brand it is and if it's worth keeping? Can't find any identifying marking on it.

lowell holmes
12-28-2016, 10:51 AM
It reminds me of my first jointer. It was 4" Shop Smith mounted on it's own stand.

I would put yours on an elevated stand with the motor mounted below. It certainly is worth keeping.
You need to add a fence to it.
You can make a wooden stand to mount it on. I would repair the spring on the guard. You absolutely do
not want to run it without a functioning guard.

Darcy Warner
12-28-2016, 11:00 AM
I run my 30" jointer with no guard, not really practical to have one on it.

Looks walker turner to me

Luke Grohovsky
12-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'm just getting started in woodworking so this helps. Would you recommend making a wood fence or do they sell aftermarket fences?

Gary Radice
12-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Probably a Montgomery Ward jointer. The motor is labeled Powr-Kraft, which was a MW brand. Like Sears Craftsman, MW rebranded tools that were actually made by their suppliers, which varied over the years. Yours looks like it might have been made by Duro. That blade guard is pretty distinctive.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=657

You might try asking over at OWWM.org's BOYD forum to see if anyone has a spare fence. Registration is free.

Bruce Page
12-28-2016, 12:50 PM
I don't see how you would attach a fence to it other than clamping it directly to the outfeed table.
A lot depends on your budget but you can find small jointers like this on Craigslist pretty cheap. If you're just starting out in woodworking I would recommend finding a ready to run jointer rather than something you have to jerry-rig together.

Whatever you decide to do, do not run it without the guard. It's one thing to be an experienced woodworker with a 30" jointer, it's another to be just starting out in woodworking. JMO

Lonnie Gallaher
12-28-2016, 1:01 PM
On the infeed end there is a slot for mounting the fence. Similar to an older Delta jointer.