PDA

View Full Version : Abrasives for Stationary Discs

Bill Adamsen
12-28-2016, 8:24 AM
I have a 16" stationary sander that I use for woodworking and occasionally for (sacre bleu) metal or plastic. I have used PSA discs of 100 grit and they appear to be an aluminum oxide grit. The discs have worked fine for me ... but typically I'm not that discriminating when using that tool. I've searched threads on this forum for advice but most seem to be focused on the complaints about PSA discs (ditto). What spec should I be using to buy these and is if you are buying this stuff, is there a favorite source? Thanks!

Pete Staehling
12-28-2016, 10:06 AM
I'll be interested in hearing responses here as well. I have found that the abrasive, the adhesive, and the backing material are all important on how abrasives perform and last and that in most applications it is worth spending a bit more for a better longer lasting product. The thing is that on my 12" disc sander I tend to be abusing the abrasive working various materials including metal and hogging off a lot of material. As a result I sometimes think that for this application cheap might trump long lasting or good, since I may often be putting on a disc, abusing it and replacing it quickly.

Neil Gaskin
12-28-2016, 10:51 AM
In terms of suppliers. Try Klingspor. That's where we buy our abrasives. They have always been helpful with both bulk and small orders.

http://www.klingspor.com/