PDA

View Full Version : Hide Glue Warmer

David Ragan
12-28-2016, 8:22 AM
Hi,

Am ready to take the next step in Hide Glue. Have been using the LV little pot/heater.

Don't want to spend the $ for a real glue pot.

So, I bought a baby bottle warmer and is was terrible-only off or on.

Have looked at a bunch on Amazon, and it looks like a lot of them shut off once the desired temp is reached (I guess cooking the milk is not the goal.)

Crock pot too big for my small shop.

Anybody have a baby bottle warmer brand that has infinite heat adjustment, and will hold the water @ desired temp?

Thanks

John K Jordan
12-28-2016, 8:32 AM
David, I'm certainly no expert - the last time I used hide glue was 30 years ago. Then, I was very happy with a cheap hot plate I found at a flea market. I put a short jar in an old sauce pan with water and it worked perfectly. It wasn't large and the temperature was perfectly controllable. I was rebuilding a player piano mechanism at the time.

JKJ

Bradley Gray
12-28-2016, 9:03 AM
a crock pot works.

Robert Engel
12-28-2016, 9:17 AM
Crock pots do work.

Search for "mini crock pot".

Frank Pratt
12-28-2016, 9:52 AM
Wax warmer, like for hair removal. They are cheap & have an adjustable thermostat. Just read about it in FWW or PWW.

Cody Jensen
12-28-2016, 10:25 AM
I only have a cheap one, but I imagine you can get electric fondue pots that would have adjustable temperature control.

Robert LaPlaca
12-28-2016, 2:58 PM
I use hide for most everything I build, for a glue pot you can buy a Rival hot pot express for about $20. The hot pot has a unmarked thermostatic control on the front you can use with an accurate thermometer to get your water bath to 140-145 F, it might take a while to arrive at the proper tempurature. I use a small glass jar to contain the hide glue..

Wayne Cannon
12-29-2016, 1:31 AM
I, too, use a Rival hit pot with a thermometer to set the unmarked adjustable thermostat. I'm not in the shop, but it's about 6"-8" across & 6"-8" high, not counting the handle. I added (subtracted) a hole in the lid for the glue brush.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-29-2016, 4:54 AM
Look for a Parrafin wax warmer like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Professional-Single-Electric-Machine/dp/B01JJC4SZ2/ref=sr_1_cc_8_a_it?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1483004611&sr=1-8-catcorr&keywords=Parrafin%2Bwarmer&th=1

They have heat controls and removable inner container just like that expensive glue pot that some places sell.

roger wiegand
12-29-2016, 9:00 AM
I haven't looked back since scoring a nice Hold-Heet pot with the copper liner at a garage sale for $15. For quick small jobs though I keep my glue in a pint mason jar and just nuke it in the (shop) microwave for near instant availability.

John Cole
12-29-2016, 11:03 PM
+1 on the Rival hot pot