PDA

View Full Version : My track saw woes

Malcolm Schweizer
12-27-2016, 6:50 PM
I finally decided to get a track saw and found a used Festool on eBay. I bought it. Hooray! I'm getting a track saw and my first taste of the green koolaid. Nope- next day the guy cancels the order claiming it was out of stock. It was used and had pics of it in his shop. I believe the mysteriously low shipping may have caught him by surprise and he decided to cancel. He did refund me fully.

So- I went online and bought the Makita saw and rails from one place, but they didn't have the connectors, clamps, or router base, so I got them from Amazon. Done... Or am I? Next day- email about saw and rails- order cancelled, money refunded. Well now the miscellaneous parts are already on the way. From Amazon, but the saw and rails are cancelled. Ugh.

I am visiting family in the states, so I went to Lowe's and after explaining to the guy what a track saw was, and being shown a guide rail attachment (NOT a track saw!), he said they don't sell them. I tried a specialty woodworking store and he said try Lowe's. Ugh.

Tonight I tried to buy the saw elsewhere online and nobody would ship to me. Shipping to my family in the US got it there after I leave. Finally I found the rails on Amazon, but the saw with rail wouldn't ship on Amazon- the rails alone would. Go figure. I bought the saw by itself at yet another retailer and rails from Amazon. If all goes well, it all will be waiting when I get home.

Question: Why do the "big box stores" not sell track saws, as popular as they have become?

Bert Kemp
12-27-2016, 7:17 PM
Home depot sells a Dewalt tracksaw kit 435 I think

Rich Riddle
12-27-2016, 7:43 PM
You can go online and order a track saw through Home Depot. The company will then ship the saw to your local store, or in my case the house.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-27-2016, 8:01 PM
You can go online and order a track saw through Home Depot. The company will then ship the saw to your local store, or in my case the house.

They exempt the USVI from all shipping, including to the store. I could have shipped to mom's house, but they did not guarantee it before I left. I was quite surprised that they don't stock them in major cities. I totally understand not stocking them in smaller locations. I was expecting at least a Dewalt in stock, although I wanted the Makita due to the slightly deeper cut. The wood I get is 2 1/8" rough sawn.

Patrick Curry
12-27-2016, 9:49 PM
I don't know why HD or Lowe's carry these in store. But you can buy the Makita through homedepot.com.

I just purchased the makita through CPOoutlet.com, plus an additional track, Festool connectors and DeWalt clamps. The site (and others) had a $25 of manufacturers discount.

glenn bradley
12-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Are we sure these people who are canceling the orders are not just conveniently gathering your personal and financial information?

Van Huskey
12-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Are we sure these people who are canceling the orders are not just conveniently gathering your personal and financial information?

If paid by Paypal on eBay all they would get is your address. In the end it is the shipping costs to the VI that is the issue I am betting.

Dan Friedrichs
12-27-2016, 11:10 PM
The 8' tracks are too big to ship via standard carriers, no? When I got mine (from Amazon), the saw and short track came UPS, and the long track came separately via an LTL carrier.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-28-2016, 1:57 PM
The 8' tracks are too big to ship via standard carriers, no? When I got mine (from Amazon), the saw and short track came UPS, and the long track came separately via an LTL carrier.

8' is the max for most shippers, but that is packaged length, so an 8' track would be too big. I bought three 55" tracks to put together for cutting up to 13' boards. I'm aware there may be some slop in that setup, but it's good enough for me.

Regarding cancelling shipments- yes, it is likely the location. FYI everyone- we have the same USPS as the states. Please show us some love. We buy lots of stuff online! CPO outlet lost about a $600 sale because they won't ship to me.

Van Huskey
12-28-2016, 3:21 PM
Regarding cancelling shipments- yes, it is likely the location. FYI everyone- we have the same USPS as the states. Please show us some love. We buy lots of stuff online! CPO outlet lost about a $600 sale because they won't ship to me.

While USPS prices are very similar to the US VI vs cross continental US the UPS price difference is HUGE and most corporate sellers use UPS, CPO does.

Jim Dwight
12-28-2016, 4:44 PM
I've had my DeWalt for several years and I don't remember any shipping problems, sorry your experience is different. I got the package with 102 and 59 inch tracks and later added the 41 inch and router setup. They all work well. I built a Paulk style workbench including cross cut jig. I do not do any wide rips any more on my table saw. The track saw is easier and safer. I use it on solid wood too.

Greg R Bradley
12-28-2016, 6:07 PM
HD sells Makita Track Saws & Tracks. I've bought two tracksaws when they were on sale. The last one was $268.

The 3000mm Festool Track ships FREE to destinations in the US in a box. Since all Festool items are shipped for free in the US, that could explain why the Festool track is more than the Makita one. I take it that does not include VI? I know when I had to ship stuff to Saipan, Guam, and VI that USPS considered those US, while UPS and Fedex considered them International. These were probably 10 years ago so things may have changed.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-28-2016, 6:08 PM
I'm wanting to bring table saw use to an absolute minimum. The main reason I got the saw was for ripping mahogany planks 12' long and 2 1/8" max thickness. That limited my choices due to thickness of the material. I was considering Festool, Dewalt, and Makita. The Festool TS75 has a 2 3/4" depth of cut, and I was pretty set on that one for that reason, but went with Makita due to price and ease of purchasing. Festool won't let dealers ship outside the US and although Highland said they would ship to the USVI, most others either wouldn't or weren't sure. In the end, I went Makita. Dewalt looked great, but depth of cut was an issue. I ordered the router base and will eventually get a Makita router to go in it. I bought the base now while the $25 savings was on. I have surpassed my spending limit for now.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-28-2016, 6:13 PM
HD sells Makita Track Saws & Tracks. I've bought two tracksaws when they were on sale. The last one was $268.

The 3000mm Festool Track ships FREE to destinations in the US in a box. Since all Festool items are shipped for free in the US, that could explain why the Festool track is more than the Makita one. I take it that does not include VI? I know when I had to ship stuff to Saipan, Guam, and VI that USPS considered those US, while UPS and Fedex considered them International. These were probably 10 years ago so things may have changed.

Yes, due to the Organic Act of 1954, when the USVI wanted to keep the ability to collect import duties, the US considers them no different to any foreign territory for shipping purposes. Carriers must clear customs and therefore charge international rates. The USPS hides under the Privacy of Information Act, which protects them from disclosing anything about the shipments they carry, and therefore they do not have to clear customs. For that reason, they can charge US rates. You are SUPPOSED to go to customs on your honor and clear goods you get via USPS.

Jim Dwight
12-28-2016, 8:57 PM
Malcolm,

I didn't comment the first time but you keep mentioning the deeper cut of the Makita. Do you realize that the rated difference between the Makita and DeWalt is 1/16 inch? Are you aware of something that says it is more than this? I guess that may be significant to you cutting 2 1/8 material but would not normally be considered very significant. I would be skeptical that there is really a difference. They apparently both use 165mm blades.

I also think the Makita is a good choice and has been recommended in several reviews. I like the riving knife on my DeWalt and the anti-kickback feature may also be of some benefit. But the Makita can use a Festool track (and vice versa) and has advantages too.

I don't really want you to question your purchase, I just thought it worth mentioning you are talking about a 1/16 inch difference.

Jim

Malcolm Schweizer
12-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Malcolm,

I didn't comment the first time but you keep mentioning the deeper cut of the Makita. Do you realize that the rated difference between the Makita and DeWalt is 1/16 inch? Are you aware of something that says it is more than this? I guess that may be significant to you cutting 2 1/8 material but would not normally be considered very significant. I would be skeptical that there is really a difference. They apparently both use 165mm blades.

I also think the Makita is a good choice and has been recommended in several reviews. I like the riving knife on my DeWalt and the anti-kickback feature may also be of some benefit. But the Makita can use a Festool track (and vice versa) and has advantages too.

I don't really want you to question your purchase, I just thought it worth mentioning you are talking about a 1/16 inch difference.

Jim

Yes, I am aware, but that 1/16 is just enough to get through a 2 1/8" board and with the Makita getting excellent reviews they won. Again- I wanted the Festool and even bought one used but he cancelled the purchase. I ultimately decided to get the Makita only after literally taking a digital caliper to my supplier and going through his stock and 2 1/8 was the thickest, so I went with the Makita. I think had the dewalt been the same depth I still would have gone with makita for the scoring setting and the anti-tip lock and a few minor details in the ergonomics, but I am not knocking the Dewalt. I love my Dewalt chop saw.

Greg R Bradley
12-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Here is a pic of my Festool TS55 and Makita SP6000 against the same board to show the depth difference. The Makita was new and the Festool had a new blade and I put the blade in the position where you can read the labels. You can see the difference is small, basically the difference between the Festool blade being 160mm and the Makita being 165mm.
I was making dollies out of 3 layers of surplus flooring samples glued together. I cut the end with the Festool and finished it off with a hand saw as you can see in the first cut. Then went to the shop and got the new Makita that hadn't been used yet. You can see it would have cut closer but still required the hand saw to trim. I then went and borrowed a TS75 to do the project as we built 34 dollies.

Mark Blatter
12-29-2016, 10:45 AM
+1 on the Makita. I have used one for a couple of years and found it to be a great saw.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-29-2016, 2:00 PM
Here is a pic of my Festool TS55 and Makita SP6000 against the same board to show the depth difference. The Makita was new and the Festool had a new blade and I put the blade in the position where you can read the labels. You can see the difference is small, basically the difference between the Festool blade being 160mm and the Makita being 165mm.
I was making dollies out of 3 layers of surplus flooring samples glued together. I cut the end with the Festool and finished it off with a hand saw as you can see in the first cut. Then went to the shop and got the new Makita that hadn't been used yet. You can see it would have cut closer but still required the hand saw to trim. I then went and borrowed a TS75 to do the project as we built 34 dollies.

Thanks for taking the time to take and post pics. This helps. I really wanted the TS75 but my budget was too low. I got the used one but that deal fell through, and I finally decided to just get the Makita. I didn't really need 2 3/4" depth of cut (with the TS75) but I absolutely had to be able to saw through 2 1/8" stock. That was my absolute criteria. That extra 1/16" was just enough to sway me over the TS55. I looked long and hard at every brand- even Bosch, which doesn't appear to be available in the US. Makita didn't just win with depth of cut- they also won with features, price, and lots of great reviews from reputable sources. I have a Makita powered planer that I love and it is very well designed. That's my only Makita tool that I can think of, but I am very impressed with it, so I was willing to give them a try.

I'm not here to knock Festool, but for the price I didn't see a whole lot of difference. I am aware they are very good, and respect that, but to be honest I was more interested in getting that 2 3/4" depth of cut with the TS75. My budget is tight and with the little use I anticipate for this tool, I decided to save some money and went with the Makita after giving up on finding a used Festool, which was the best way for me to afford one. As it is, I got the Makita, three 55" tracks, two clamps, two sets of track connectors, and the router attachment, all for under $650.

For the record, my third choice was the Dewalt, and fourth was the TS55- mainly because of price. Price being no factor, my first choice was the Festool TS75, and second the Makita. Third maybe the TS55 and fourth Dewalt. Price, however, was a factor, and with the saw and track going for $409, plus $25 off, plus another $25 off extra tracks and another $25 off accessories, it was no contest. That is actually what prompted me to go measure wood and determine that I could actually get away with less depth than the TS75.

Anyway, fingers still crossed- I have yet to receive a shipping notification. It would be a mess if they canceled the saw but not the tracks and accessories!!!

Brian Holcombe
12-29-2016, 2:18 PM
Get a 12 point blade or similarly coarse blade for ripping. The 48T blades are pretty much good for about 1/2" stock or 3/4 plywood. Beyond that you need a specific blade.

Eric Schmid
12-29-2016, 3:21 PM
Brian, does that 12T blade tear up your ZCI on the Festool rails? When I put that blade on my Dewalt saw and track it chips the ZCI. Not all the way through, just on the top side; which is weird since the blade would hit the bottom first. No other blade does this.

I can confirm that the 12T festool blade takes a load off the saw motor. Definitely the right blade for ripping thick material. If I need a cleaner edge, the Festool 28T combo blade still rips with ease.

You will loose a little cut depth putting 160mm blades on a 165mm saw, however.

Richard Young
12-29-2016, 5:46 PM
Brian, does that 12T blade tear up your ZCI on the Festool rails? When I put that blade on my Dewalt saw and track it chips the ZCI. Not all the way through, just on the top side; which is weird since the blade would hit the bottom first. No other blade does this.

The chipping should be on the top side because the blade tooth cuts into the bottom first. The chip is caused by the tooth exiting the kerf and the material being unsupported chips off. Same reason you should cut sheet goods with face side down when using skillsaws and face up on tablesaw. You want the tooth to cut into the face side with chipout on the backside. With the backside of the sheet protected by the strip in the rail the tooth exits the cut on the topside of the strip and chips there. It's the same principle as the ZCI on the tablesaw. If you look at the back of the ZCI you will likely find small chipouts in it.

Greg R Bradley
12-29-2016, 8:03 PM
Those blades referenced above are for Festool and Dewalt saws and will be 160mm diameter. I haven't looked for a ripping blade in 165mm but you may need to have it made. I believe a 6.5" blade could be made with the 20mm bore as 165mm is 6.496" so that is pretty much 6.5"

Brian Holcombe
12-29-2016, 8:14 PM
I've not noticed any serious chipout on the ZCI