PDA

View Full Version : carved red mallee bowl

sascha gast
10-10-2005, 4:52 AM
turned on the lathe and then carved with various carving tool, mostly electric and air powered, then sanded by hand.
finish is 24hour bath in watco, then 5 coats of wipe on poly.
I am having fun, just have to get used to using my new lights I just got last week.
the pics are taken in my new photo tent, still need to play with it some more to get the best results.

Thanx guys for letting me share my work

Sascha

Loy Hawes
10-10-2005, 5:50 AM
Very nice! Where did you get the burl?

Glenn Hodges
10-10-2005, 6:35 AM
Sascha, you show remarkable creative ability with this beautiful wood. The pictures are very clear. Thanks for showing your pieces to us.

John Hart
10-10-2005, 6:55 AM
Looks like the new tent is working just fine! Incredible work Sasha! It looks like a hurricane. I love the Mallee and the fact that you left some of the natural edge in there. Very nice! :)

Chris Barton
10-10-2005, 7:20 AM
Stunning! Like Loy, I am curious where you find such burls?

Sparky Paessler
10-10-2005, 7:47 AM
Great looking bowl Sasha! The turning and carving are wonderful and the wood's not bad either! Love the great pictures. Thanks for posting where you got your new photo tents. I ordered the 30"!

Keith Burns
10-10-2005, 7:56 AM
Excellent bowl ! Looks like you have the lighting down pat.

Travis Stinson
10-10-2005, 8:15 AM
Looks great Sascha! Fantastic job on both the turning and the pics.

Mark Singer
10-10-2005, 8:22 AM
Sascha
Great technique! I love the color and shape! The finish looks great too. Which wipe on poly do you use?

Mark Cothren
10-10-2005, 9:02 AM
Super nice! Somebody already used the words "creative ability" and I'd have to concur.

Thanks for the picture!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-10-2005, 9:14 AM
Absolutely beautiful! I like the shape, wood and finish!

Jim Becker
10-10-2005, 9:28 AM
That's wonderful, Sascha! Burl is "hard to embellish" in some respects since it's so incredible to begin with. Your carving was just the right thing for this piece as it added gross texture and movement to what otherwise would have been just another beautiful burl cap. Awesome!

sascha gast
10-10-2005, 4:49 PM
here is the link to the burl, he's a great guy.

and it's minwax poly.
thank you all for the kind words

sascha

Chris Daigh
10-10-2005, 5:19 PM
Awesome, pictures of things like this is why I am buying a lathe. Also I don't see the link.

sascha gast
10-10-2005, 6:16 PM
http://www.leetreewoodworks.com/Burls_and_Wood.htm

OOOPPSS :D :D :D

Ernie Nyvall
10-10-2005, 9:55 PM
Sasha, that's just darn good. Great imagination. Wonderful piece.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
10-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Nice Job! Awesome Piece!

Loy Hawes
10-11-2005, 4:27 AM
http://www.leetreewoodworks.com/Burls_and_Wood.htm

Thanks for the link. That site is dangerous. I might need to rob a bank soon. :D

Dick Strauss
10-11-2005, 9:41 AM
Sascha,
Your work is amazing (as usual)!

I have one suggestion for your photos...Your background and red malee turning/carving look green on my monitor. If the background is supposed to off-white and looks green in the picture on your monitor as well, you need to correct for what looks like fluorescent lighting in your setup. Your digital camera should have a correction for this type of lighting. You should also be able to make the necessary corrections in your photo editing software. Once you make the corrections, your red mallee will look almost as spectacular in your pics as I'm sure it does in person.

I'm sorry for being so anal about pics, but I've worked in the photo industry for quite some time and thought I might be able to help you present your work at its best.

Dick

sascha gast
10-11-2005, 12:55 PM
I actually can't see any green on my monitor. Yes it's flourescent lighting but it's set on my camera. also I worked on the pic in Photoshop. It would have been easy to add more red to the bowl, but it didn't look good on my monitor.

but i'll check if it looks like that on another computer. thanx you so much

sascha

Dick Strauss
10-11-2005, 1:52 PM
Sascha,
I apologize if you don't see what I see...sometimes I forget that folks like different color temp setups on their monitors and that monitors vary widely. My CRT monitor is nothing fancy by any means. I like to run mine at a 5500*K temp setting for photo editing purposes. However,I haven't had a chance to calibrate my monitor yet. Some of the other monitor temperature settings produce brighter pictures. It's not that one setting is better than any other...it's really just a personal preference.

Keep up the fantastic work and best of luck to you!

John Hart
10-11-2005, 2:30 PM
Hmmm. I don't see green either.....except that I'm green with envy...:D

sascha gast
10-12-2005, 2:28 AM
Dick, no harm done at all. I have a Mac and don't even know what mine is set for.
but on a regular TV screen they are even more reddish.

thanx for your input, i love learning
sascha