PDA

View Full Version : New Scroll Saw Gloat and Question

Joe Beaulieu
12-27-2016, 6:08 PM
Hey Folks,

I will get some pics, but I am the very proud owner of a brand new 20" Hawk BM scroll saw! My wife took pity on me and ordered one for Christmas. I am very impressed with the build quality of this saw. I know little about scroll sawing except the obvious - vibration is a bad thing and I need to learn the use/purpose of the many different types of blades. That is all good. However I also picked up a Festool CT SYS - the "DC in a systainer" small vac that Festool offers, to use a a dedicated DC for this saw. I am a bit at a loss for how to attach the hose to the saw - where the best place would be and how to fix it to the location.

Anyone out there with a Hawk scroll saw that uses a dust collector in the process? Is it overkill? The saw doesn't make a lot of dust. I am just all for not breathing in stuff that is allergenic. I am very sensitive to allergens and I would like the cleanest environment I can create. Is under the table best, where the blade extracts the downward cut and generates sawdust, or is something moveable on top of the saw a better idea? I had thought if using a couple of larger rare earth magnets on the hose to attach it wherever. Anyone done anything similar.

Thanks folks. Pics to follow.

Joe

Peter Kuhlman
12-28-2016, 8:31 AM
Unless you are cutting extremely small objects any top of table dust collection will prevent spinning of your work piece. A quiet dust collector like the Festool or Fein will be greatly appreciated. I use a Festool Midi on my Hegner. As you are only collecting tiny dust particles you don't need a big collector. No idea if Hawk offered a collection attachment. It was an option on my Hegner. The dust does not go flying about but does obstruct your vision so is very beneficial to have. If going Festool I would use a Mini or Midi as then can use it for other cleaning jobs as well. The CT-SYS is cool but has a very tiny bag and would be awkward to carry around for cleaning floors.

Rich Riddle
12-28-2016, 10:05 AM
There is a forum dedicated to scroll saws where you might elicit better advice. Some of us here don't have the tool.

Rich Engelhardt
12-28-2016, 10:11 AM
I am just all for not breathing in stuff that is allergenic. As one who just might have celebrated his last Christmas due to COPD....let me say, you are a wise man.
Going this way sure ain't fun.
Smart people protect their fingers and hands as well as their eyes.
Only the real wise ones take into account the ears and breathing.