PDA

View Full Version : Well. What did santa bring y'all

Sam Beagle
12-27-2016, 1:34 PM
I seen the neanders had this section w great responders. Let's hear what we all got. Me personally. I had a great birthday/xmas season.
For xmas particularly, the wife really out did herself. She had a custom electric iron made up w my company name, my personal name. And a small treadle lathe all in the branding iron.

Roger Chandler
12-27-2016, 3:37 PM
Nothing turning related (yet ;)) my sons went together and got me a new ipad Pro, which is very nice - I am using it now to interact on this forum.

John K Jordan
12-27-2016, 4:07 PM
A ukulele. Look out world. Hmm, tuned a bit different from a guitar...

JKJ

William Bachtel
12-27-2016, 4:31 PM
BILLS and more BILLS

Walter Mooney
12-27-2016, 5:05 PM
Warm Weather!! It's 80 degrees in Houston! We were wearing shorts for Christmas!!!!

Sam Beagle
12-27-2016, 5:25 PM
Just got back from my shop, I have a birthday right by xmas. It was a total vortex holiday for me. I got the Trent Bosch setup. I really really like this setup. I got the hunter carbide tools w it. They took some time to figure out. But wow do they work well. The stabilizer is now my favorite tool ever. I also got a new chuck and 2 CBN wheels. I feel like a new woodturner with all these new tools. I cannot believe how sharp my tools are. O yea I got some Thompson gouges and robust rests too.

Mike Tilley
12-27-2016, 6:14 PM
That's not Christmas sounds like you hit the lottery to me. Congrats

Justin Stephen
12-27-2016, 10:53 PM
A screaming infant, very little sleep and copious amounts of poop. Shocking amounts of poop, honestly.

David Herring
12-28-2016, 5:32 AM
Just got back from my shop, I have a birthday right by xmas. It was a total vortex holiday for me. I got the Trent Bosch setup. I really really like this setup. I got the hunter carbide tools w it. They took some time to figure out. But wow do they work well. The stabilizer is now my favorite tool ever. I also got a new chuck and 2 CBN wheels. I feel like a new woodturner with all these new tools. I cannot believe how sharp my tools are. O yea I got some Thompson gouges and robust rests too.

You lucky guy. Can I come to your house next Christmas?

David Herring
12-28-2016, 5:37 AM
A screaming infant, very little sleep and copious amounts of poop. Shocking amounts of poop, honestly.

Enjoy it while you can. They grow up really fast. Then they start telling you how to act.....

Mark Greenbaum
12-28-2016, 7:25 AM
A couple of good Hand Engraving jobs, that'll allow me to attend the TAW Symposium, and get a vintage tube amp (to convert to guitar amp). Also a couple nice pieces of 1.5" sq x 1/8" wall aluminum tubes (going to make a hollowing rig). I hope the other 2 Hand Engraving jobs pan out so I can pay down a few bills.

Roger Chandler
12-28-2016, 7:27 AM
Congratulations to you & Mrs. Stephen! I remember you mentined at the symposium that she was near full term. Boy or girl?

Justin Stephen
12-28-2016, 9:16 AM
Congratulations to you & Mrs. Stephen! I remember you mentined at the symposium that she was near full term. Boy or girl?

Thanks! Girl, her name is Hannah.

Sam Beagle
12-28-2016, 11:21 AM
It's not normally like that. See my wife and I both turned 40 this year. Well her birthday was in June. And I went all out for her party and surprise and gifts. So she went all out for mine. Was gonna get me a party and gifts. But I opted for no party and cash. I have a little left for a vacuum chuck. Also. I forgot. My good friend is also a turner. Gave me his brand new vacuum pump. He opted for a much bigger unit to also use for vacuum forming. So it's been a great holiday. My favorite new item is the Bosch system. I can't say enough about it. Also. The CBN wheels are totally a game changing item. I sharpened a gouge yesterday and touched down on some ash. I could not even believe how sharp my tool was. I opted for the 180-350 combo. My scrapers are so sharp now. I hit them w 180, then the veritas burnisher. Then you have a burr that is just unreal.

Don Frank
12-28-2016, 1:15 PM
A couple Dway beading tools (actually two sets), a beal buffing extension and a Robo rest. My wife and sister got me the same beading tools so I sent back one pair to exchange for a couple other tools from Dave. Everyone knows how nice those beading tools are but I was equally impressed with this Robo Rest. It is going to be really nice for scrapers and neg rake scrapers. Very well made. My hat is off to Reed on that one.

Richard Dooling
12-28-2016, 4:14 PM
I got the Super Nova magnetic base lamp from Woodturner's Wonders. 30 inch neck that stays put and is brighter than I expected.

Rick Bailey
12-28-2016, 7:39 PM
Guess I was a good boy this year, :D
6'' riser block for my PM 14'' band saw, set of urethane tires and a Lenox Dimaster 2 blade.
My LOML and FIL got me the Woodcut bowl saver Max 3 and a nice dovetail scraper.:D
Oh and some underwear.:rolleyes:

Sam Beagle
12-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Rick. That's quite a haul as well. I was really thinking coring system too.
Richard. Please keep us posted on that lamp. I really need one of those. So crucial.

Justin Stephen
12-29-2016, 3:01 PM
...but I was equally impressed with this Robo Rest.

Yeah, I bought one a couple of years ago and I honestly didn't use it all that much since it is pretty easy to set the adjustable table to sharpen the occasional bowl scraper I use. Frankly, I did very little platform sharpening at all. But when I started using negative rake scrapers a year or so ago, I started to adore my Robo Rest. It is much more difficult to quickly eyeball the right angle on a negative rake scraper so knowing exactly what number I use for those makes sharpening a stress-free experience.

Jim Silva
12-29-2016, 5:02 PM
My back received a gift in the guise of a tailgate lift to help lift logs into the back of the truck. Fits in the tow receiver and has a hand winch and will pivot allowing me to roll logs onto it's platform, crank up to bed height and pivot onto the tailgate to roll onto the vehicle.

Viking was the brand and it'll handle 300#.

Also got a bunch of abranet disks and a new chainsaw case. (Actually a golf bag travel case that just happens to fit my Stihl saw and accessories. (The folks at Dick's Sporting goods were highly amused when I tested the fit with my saw lol)

Richard Dooling
12-30-2016, 9:53 AM
Sam,

I like the lamp a lot although I've only had it a few days. It seems very well made and it is a big improvement over my previous setup.

The base has a very strong, switched magnet that mounts very securely.
The gooseneck is strong and tight. Move the head and it stays where you put it. The trade off is that the neck can't turn a real tight radius but that's not an issue for me. It's also 30" long and that really opens up mounting options.
The head stays cool enough to move without burning your hand. It's sturdy and bright. Bright enough that I don't usually need it real close to the work. So far I haven't used the technique where you light a vessel through the side wall while cutting the interior but this light seems well suited for this.

One nice improvement would be a dimmer. This might be a simple four way switch. OFF, 1LED, 2LEDs, 3LEDs.
If you're ready to move on this Ken has his lamps for 20% off through the 31st. http://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/lamps

R

Doug Ladendorf
12-30-2016, 10:09 AM
My kids (13 and 14) have gotten interested in woodworking and turning, so we got some things for the woodworkers of the house including a Razertip woodburning set-up, a G3 chuck for the small lathe, detail sanding stuff and scrollsaw blades. I also got a froe, which may be more neander but I think it will be useful for splitting logs into blanks with less chainsawing.

david privett
12-30-2016, 10:15 AM
40 year old daughter came over for lunch and said heah I need a oil change on my van before I go to fla. and go paddling the rainbow river do you got time to do it? yeah merry chistmas dad.

William Adams
12-30-2016, 10:26 AM
Beer and money from wife/kids and mother-in-law respectively.

Bought myself a Silca T-ratchet and Ti-Torque tool off the Kickstarter --- it's my new favourite thing, and best of all, has put an end to my trolling eBay looking for a 1/4" drive companion to the 3/8" drive Snap-On Ratchet which my Father picked up in Vietnam somehow (unfortunately, no one in the family knows that story that I've asked yet --- two more cousins I need to run down and query though).