PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Question

Sean Troy
12-27-2016, 10:24 AM
It's time for a new compressor. The one I have now is a 25 gal. Craftsman that's about 20-25 years old. I got it 15 years ago from my father in law and he got it years before that. Thick rust water comes out when I drain it and I keep thinking the tank is about ready to let go. I only use it for a pin nailer and blowing dust off tools and maybe some air brushing. A pancake type would probably work for me. Looking for recommendations that won't break the bank. Thank's , Sean

Bryan Lisowski
12-27-2016, 10:47 AM
I have a Bostitch that I bought at the blue big box store, it came with a brad, pin and stapler and has done everything I have ever needed.

Herb Smith
12-27-2016, 10:55 AM
I recently replaced my old PC pancake compressor (same reasons as you) with a California Compressor, Model 2010A. Only has a 1HP motor and a 2.0 gallon tank, but my uses are similar to yours and it more than meets those needs. And this thing is so quiet that you almost laugh when you start it up. HUGE difference in noise compared with the old PC compressor. Bought on Amazon for $180, which is a little expensive but the quiet is well worth it. The only other one that I looked at was the Senco PC1010 and PC1010N but, to me, they seemed a little small. The Rolair JC10 also gets good reviews on this board but was more expensive

Sean Troy
12-27-2016, 10:55 AM
I have a Bostitch that I bought at the blue big box store, it came with a brad, pin and stapler and has done everything I have ever needed.

I would just need the compressor. I already have the others. Thanks, Sean

John K Jordan
12-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Sean,

I use two Porter Cable pancake type compressors at two locations around the farm here, mostly for airing up tires. In use for 12 years and 8 years.

I also carry these around for use with pneumatic framing nailers when building or repairing sheds and things, sometimes two guys nailing at once. These compressors simply won't break. (so far, of course)

One hint for people using a compressor far from an electrical source with extension cords. One shed was about 400 ft from the nearest power. Instead of running 400 ft of extension chords (hard on motors due to voltage drop) I powered it from one shorter extension cord and hundreds of feet of air line. This had the effect of temporarily increasing the tank volume too!

I use a 5hp 60 gallon compressor in the shop but that is a little overkill for a pin nailer!

Hey, if you want a free compressor I have a 20 gal stored in a shed I need to get rid of. Been there about 5 years until I put in the big compressor, in use for maybe 10 years before that. I'd have to pull it out first to check, but if it still works OK. You'd have to drive a bit into TN to get it, too big to mail! (I live north of Knoxville, just a few miles off I-75, about a 5 hr drive - might not be worth it unless coming this way anyway)

JKJ

Sean Troy
12-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Sean,

I use two Porter Cable pancake type compressors at two locations around the farm here, mostly for airing up tires. In use for 12 years and 8 years.

I also carry these around for use with pneumatic framing nailers when building or repairing sheds and things, sometimes two guys nailing at once. These compressors simply won't break. (so far, of course)

One hint for people using a compressor far from an electrical source with extension cords. One shed was about 400 ft from the nearest power. Instead of running 400 ft of extension chords (hard on motors due to voltage drop) I powered it from one shorter extension cord and hundreds of feet of air line. This had the effect of temporarily increasing the tank volume too!

I use a 5hp 60 gallon compressor in the shop but that is a little overkill for a pin nailer!

Hey, if you want a free compressor I have a 20 gal stored in a shed I need to get rid of. Been there about 5 years until I put in the big compressor, in use for maybe 10 years before that. I'd have to pull it out first to check, but if it still works OK. You'd have to drive a bit into TN to get it, too big to mail! (I live north of Knoxville, just a few miles off I-75, about a 5 hr drive - might not be worth it unless coming this way anyway)

JKJ

Nice offer John, thanks but I would like to down size to the pancake size. Room is a premium in my little 20x20 shop.

Bill White
12-27-2016, 2:40 PM
Have you thought about changing the tank? I see 'em all the time on the Bay (compressors) for reasonable prices.
My Craftsman is 38 years old, and aside from a new belt, the comp. works well.
I do drain mine very often. Change the comp. oil every year.
Might be a little work to change over the motor and comp., but worth the effort if ya can buy one right.
Bill

John K Jordan
12-27-2016, 4:01 PM
Nice offer John, thanks but I would like to down size to the pancake size. Room is a premium in my little 20x20 shop.

In the shop at my last house (16x16) I had this air compressor outside under a deck, black iron pipe to the inside. It was a lot quieter that way and took up no inside shop space. (The plumbed airline did make me spoiled - my new much bigger shop is plumbed for air with 7 outlets inside and one outside.)

JKJ

Ray Newman
12-27-2016, 4:53 PM
My standard answer: get out the Yellow Pages and find local compressor repair shops. Visit them and ask about what is good, what is not good in your price range.

Jim Dwight
12-27-2016, 5:36 PM
I have the little Senco 1/2 hp + a 6 gallon Bostitch and a Porter Cable pancake. The Senco is the most recent purchase and my favorite. Most of the time, I am driving nailers or airing up tires. The Senco has to run more to do tires but I do them sometimes with a 12V pump and it is a lot faster than that. I've driven my flooring nailer for a small patch job and the Senco was fine. I plan to use it tomorrow to trim out a window using my 15 gauge plus possibly an 18 gauge (probably will use the cordless) and a pin nailer. I've used them all with the Senco so I know it will drive them. You MIGHT have to wait sometime for the little Senco but I haven't so far. It seems I am always positioning a board or something for long enough for the compressor to keep up. It is not as quiet as the California compressors but it is MUCH quieter than my other two. I paid about $100 from Amazon (Home Depot sells what appears to be the same compressor except for cosmetics for $150). It only weighs about 20 lbs so it is much easier to move around when doing things on the house (or airing up cars in the driveway).

Brian Henderson
12-27-2016, 6:59 PM
In the shop at my last house (16x16) I had this air compressor outside under a deck, black iron pipe to the inside. It was a lot quieter that way and took up no inside shop space. (The plumbed airline did make me spoiled - my new much bigger shop is plumbed for air with 7 outlets inside and one outside.)

JKJ

That's what I do, although I have a big 80-gallon IR compressor that sits outside in it's own little insulated shed so I can't hear it at all. It sits right next to my dust collector, which I also can't hear.

Sean Troy
12-27-2016, 10:26 PM
I would need to build a pad and cover. More money and time than it's worth for my needs I think.

Van Huskey
12-27-2016, 10:54 PM
Get a California Air Tools compressor that fits your size and budget requirements, your ears will thank you.

Bill Adamsen
12-28-2016, 8:41 AM
I too have the Senco, as do several of my friends. I've had it for about 8 years and it has never let me down (replaced a two tank Emglo). It seems to be the go-to favorite for finish nailers. I used it the other day in a pinch to inflate a car tire and for that it was barely up to the task. But obviously that is not the sweet spot for the unit. I have an 80 gallon two-stage Champion in the shop so that typically gets the bigger workloads (spraying, blasting, blowing, air tools). But I have painted (air brush) with the Senco and with a small dryer it get's the job done.

John Ziebron
12-28-2016, 11:21 AM
I bought the Eagle Silent Series EA-2000 from Rockler for $120 at Christmas time. It's small and very quiet. And, at 25 pounds, is easy to move around or use inside the home for remodeling. I've used it for blowing sanding dust and for my pneumatic brad nailer and stapler and it worked well.

I do have 2 other larger compressors, one of them a pancake style, if I need more air flow. If I was only looking at one compressor I would just get a larger Eagle Silent Series one. Although putting a compressor in a separate area or room helps a noise situation, it creates a forgetfullness of draining the tank periodically.

Darcy Warner
12-28-2016, 11:46 AM
The Makita's are excellent

mark mcfarlane
12-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Has anyone personally experienced the failure of a compressor tank? Is it normally just air leaking out, or is there a catastrophic event with shrapnel?

Sean Troy
12-28-2016, 12:20 PM
I don't know about shrapnel but I bet if it let go, one would have the need to change under ware.

Brian Henderson
12-28-2016, 2:45 PM
Has anyone personally experienced the failure of a compressor tank? Is it normally just air leaking out, or is there a catastrophic event with shrapnel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVP_A7eGYxw

mark mcfarlane
12-28-2016, 2:59 PM
That's pretty compelling

Brian Henderson
12-28-2016, 3:17 PM
That's pretty compelling

Any pressure vessel is potentially dangerous, the bigger the vessel and the more catastrophic the failure, the worse it can be.

Sean Troy
12-28-2016, 4:54 PM

I will be replacing my compressor this week.