PDA

View Full Version : Bathtub drain hardware - is there a modern type?

Stephen Tashiro
12-26-2016, 2:18 PM
Is there a modern type of drain hardware for bathtubs that doesn't get jammed? - or that is easily accessible if needs fixing?

The bathtub drain hardware "of my generation" always seems to get jammed. I don't know how it can be repaired without tearing out part of a wall. Of course, It's easy to replace the drain cover part of it with a rubber cover.

Brian Elfert
12-26-2016, 2:24 PM
The drain on my bath tub is just a manual pop-up style that only closes in one particular position. No linkage or anything to jam.

Rich Riddle
12-26-2016, 3:14 PM
Many drains can be repaired if you have access from below. That's how I've repaired many of them. They do make newer tub/shower faucet setups that can be easily repaired but that's a horse of a different color.

Lee Schierer
12-26-2016, 5:00 PM
The nature of bath tubs that are built in vs free standing makes any plumbing repair difficult. Generally there is an access panel to get to the plumbing. The biggest problem with bathtub drains is the fact that hair gets stuck in them and then the either don't drain or get hard to operate. Cleaning the hair out periodically, though nasty helps keep things flowing.

Myk Rian
12-26-2016, 8:11 PM
Use one of these.

Stephen Tashiro
12-28-2016, 1:14 PM
The drain on my bath tub is just a manual pop-up style that only closes in one particular position. No linkage or anything to jam.

I think that's the type I want. At the local Home Depot, they stock 4 types of bathtub drains: 1) lever operated 2) Cable operated 3) twist n' turn 4) one touch. The twist n' turn sounds like what you have.