PDA

View Full Version : Kreg automaxx bench clamp

jack duren
12-26-2016, 12:09 PM
Anybody using the bench clamp with other aluminum t tracks other than Kreg? Or have other set ups for these bench clamps?

Pictures appreciated of other usages...Thx

Rick Potter
12-26-2016, 3:39 PM
It is easy to adapt to a drill press also. For the steel table it just needs a washer at the bottom, and maybe a longer bolt. My DP has a shop made table with T-slots, and I can use it there without a washer.

I havn't done it, but it might be a good idea to put in a few more screws to hold the T-track.

jack duren
12-26-2016, 4:40 PM
Thx...I'm trying to look at it as a universal clamp. I don't need it for face frames. Trying to use my imagination on ideals for its use...

Andy Giddings
12-26-2016, 4:59 PM
I use one as a clamp using the miter slot in my saw's sliding table. Just make a plate for the clamp, with a couple of T-Nuts under the plate and two knobs to tighten everything up.

David M Peters
12-26-2016, 6:52 PM
Like Andy I use them on my slider, and also on my drill press table's t-track. Also on my old workbench I had two of Kreg's bench clamp mounting squares. I like them quite a bit and also view them as a "universal clamp".

Jim Andrew
12-26-2016, 9:20 PM
I bought some heavy duty track from a guy on ebay. Stuff measured 3/4"x1 1/2". Think it was a seller called 8020 if I remember correctly. Put it on 2 sides of my assembly table so I can grab my automax clamps and clamp boards down. Planned to put those plates out in the middle of the table but haven't as of yet. Drilled and tapped the track so I could bolt it onto the table and keep the heads out of the way of the clamp.

Jim Becker
12-27-2016, 9:36 PM
I was looking at these in the Lee Valley catalog in the "library" :) and find them quite interesting. And they have posts that will allow one to mount them in any available standard dog hole on a bench, both US 3/4" as well as 20mm like on the Festool MFT. I'd prefer that method over a track unless it was for a dedicated assembly/clamping station which might be the case for a production shop, rather than my hobbyist shop. Here's a link for the posts.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=74610&cat=1,43838,68959&ap=1

Bill Adamsen
12-28-2016, 8:32 AM
Jim, thanks for the Lee Valley link. I started looking at these for a new assembly table I'm planning but I wasn't convinced that track solution or putting dozens of expensive plates in the surface was the right solution. Somehow I hadn't picked up on the mounts for benchtop dog holes and 20mm holes like on the MFT or even Buildpro benches. Wonder if the former is a Lee Valley initiative?

Brian Tymchak
12-28-2016, 8:34 AM
I was looking at these in the Lee Valley catalog in the "library" :) and find them quite interesting. And they have posts that will allow one to mount them in any available standard dog hole on a bench, both US 3/4" as well as 20mm like on the Festool MFT. I'd prefer that method over a track unless it was for a dedicated assembly/clamping station which might be the case for a production shop, rather than my hobbyist shop. Here's a link for the posts.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=74610&cat=1,43838,68959&ap=1
That looks interesting. Thanks for the info Jim. Reading the LV description on those posts, they say they have ridges on the post to grip inside the dog hole. I'm wondering if they might tear up the dog hole over time?

Jim Becker
12-28-2016, 9:59 AM
That looks interesting. Thanks for the info Jim. Reading the LV description on those posts, they say they have ridges on the post to grip inside the dog hole. I'm wondering if they might tear up the dog hole over time?

The "ridges" don't look severe and probably are not going to do much of anything. The clamping action is what sets the dog, just like with a traditional hold-down. I suspect that the "ridges" are more to help keep things aligned in that respect. I use my hold-downs "a lot" and am now putting these Kreg clamps along with the LV posts on "my list" of potential shop enhancements.

Rick Potter
12-28-2016, 2:09 PM
WOW,

Thanks Jim for the info. Especially timely for me as I am designing a Kreg type assembly table/outfeed table using their rails and a field of 3/4" holes. Those clamp posts are just what I need.

Rick P

Jim Becker
12-28-2016, 8:16 PM
Yea, that was my reaction when I saw it in the LV catalog, too, Rick. Great idea and since my bench is covered with three rows of 3/4" dog holes...a very flexible solution.

elliot worrall
07-28-2019, 10:34 PM
Hi Jim,

Did you end up getting the LV clamp posts by any chance? keen to know what you think of them? regards

Rich Engelhardt
07-29-2019, 4:57 AM
I tried to get one of these type of clamps.
I went through 5 - five - of them at Lowes and not a single one would work. They either didn't lock down or they wouldn't open at all.

I can see one, maybe two lemons - but - five?

Extremely poor quality. And yes, they were Kreg - not one of Lowes famous Chinese knock offs.

Jim Becker
07-29-2019, 8:17 AM
Hi Jim,

Did you end up getting the LV clamp posts by any chance? keen to know what you think of them? regards
No, I have not tried them to-date.

Robert Engel
07-29-2019, 9:23 AM
I've been using these and they work well in T track.
Very nice that you can replace the existing screw with a 5/16" T track bolt