PDA

View Full Version : A couple of simple projects

Matt Meiser
10-09-2005, 10:25 PM
I worked on a couple simple projects this week. First, I completed a new door for over the electrical panel in our laundry room. The old cover was made of pine and plywood and didn't match the trim or the cabinets in the room at all. That cover also had to be removed to remove the cover of the panel, something I've had to do twice since we moved in to add new circuits. The new cover is red oak finished with Watco Golden Oak followed by two coats of Minwax Wipe-On Poly. The panel in the door is solid wood, glued up from some planks of oak flooring that came out of a Chicago-area Marriott hotel.

The second project is an insert for my parent's fireplace. Their chimney is cracked and no longer usable, so they bought a ventless fireplace and asked me to build something to trim it out in the opening. The design is similar to the woodwork in their 1860's house. It is constructed of poplar using pocket screws. This picture is after the first coat of a gel stain. I'll need several more to get it as dark as their mantle, then I'll finish with the same wipe-on poly.

Shelley Bolster
10-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Hey Matt, that door covering your electrical box looks fantastic! In fact - that is much nicer that most people have on their cabinetry! I look forward in seeing the insert, ummmmm......inserted.:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Matt that is one nice looking door covering the electrical. Can't wait to see the insert as Shelly said inserted. Both look good.