PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication

Klaus Madsen
12-26-2016, 5:32 AM
What are you guys using for lubricating the rails on your Laser?
When I go mine it was lubricated with some white stuff.
Also how often?
Thanks

Matt McCoy
12-26-2016, 8:34 AM
It's white lithium grease.

John Lifer
12-26-2016, 9:08 AM
Mine has a thin red grease, almost oil. Just keep it thin. Don't want a heavy buildup. Things move too fast. And if you are in minimally heated environment, I'd probably use an oil.

Matt McCoy
12-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Klaus: Any light grease or oil (3-IN-ONE) will probably do. Grease is thicker, so it tends to stay in place better. The white lithium you currently have contains zinc (I believe) to give it its color. When it becomes dirty and is no longer white, it might be an indication to clean it off and re-grease the rails. The red grease is generally for higher temps and very sticky for more extreme applications. You typically don't want to mix grease types, which might cause the lubricants to separate from the thickener and defeats the purpose of using grease in the first place. It also can create a big mess. If your machine has a movable Z axis, I would suggest using grease on it and your choice of oil or grease on the X and Y.

Hope that helps.

Kim McIntosh
12-26-2016, 5:13 PM
Hi Klause - Sewing machine oil as it doesn't have the additional additives as normal engine type oils.

Rich Harman
12-26-2016, 5:25 PM
I use air tool oil, mainly because I have a whole case of it that will last a lifetime.

Gary Hair
12-26-2016, 6:53 PM
If you look at the datasheets for most linear rails, you will find that they all recommend lithium grease. It doesn't gum up or dry out, and doesn't attract dust and lint like most oil does. For a $400 ebay special it may not matter much, but for anything else I'd stick with what the manufacturer recommends - they recommend it for a reason...

Also how often?
Thanks

Klaus Madsen
12-27-2016, 12:04 AM
Great and thanks for all the answers.
It seems like people are using quite a few different types, but I can see one is coming up more than once and that is lithium grease. So I have just ordered one in a spray, hope that is ok?

Matt McCoy
12-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Spray should be fine, but might require more frequent application. Some sprays also contain PTFE (Teflon) to help resist contamination of the lubricant.

Klaus Madsen
12-28-2016, 1:24 AM
Thanks Matt, so the Teflon should be a good thing?
I will have a look when it turns up here.

David Somers
12-28-2016, 2:21 AM
For what it is worth, after my white lithium wore off I cleaned the rails and applied Boshield T9. A spray on lubricant Boeing designed and sold the rights too after. I also use it on the bed of my wood lathe to prevent rust without risk of it transferring to the wood. Good stuff. Also excellent on a bicycle on the chain and cables. Nothing wrong with Lithium grease though. It is a good lube.

Jacob John
12-28-2016, 2:54 AM
Also how often?
Thanks

I'd like the answer to this one as well.

John Lifer
12-28-2016, 8:48 AM
Enough to keep it lubricated. yeah, smart answer right?
You aren't damaging the lubrication like in an engine, so as long as you can see it, it should be good. Dont let get dry.......That is when excess wear would occur.

Matt McCoy
12-28-2016, 9:20 AM
When it becomes dirty and is no longer white, it might be an indication to clean it off and re-grease the rails.

I'd like the answer to this one as well.

Debris and dirt can act as an abrasive or prevent bearings/wheels from working properly, which can lead to uneven wear.

Jacob John
12-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Debris and dirt can act as an abrasive or prevent bearings/wheels from working properly, which can lead to uneven wear.

I was asking about frequency. I know it needs to be done, but there's nothing in the Trotec manual addressing it at all.