PDA

View Full Version : Next project to be a little different

steven c newman
12-26-2016, 12:03 AM
Some seem to have gotten tired of the box projects I have been doing the past year.....sooo, for 2017.....I try something just a bit....different.:eek:

Something like a chest of drawers......instead of drawers ( well, MIGHT be one or two) might make it fit the boxes I've made. A way to store them out of my way. Maybe a frame and flat panel sides?:confused:

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is currently work on the details.....meaning I intend to "sleep" on it awhile. :rolleyes: Might have a few things in the works by the first of the year.. :confused:

Bill Houghton
12-26-2016, 12:24 PM
A friend of mine used to say that furniture consists of boxes to put stuff in and surfaces to put stuff on. Sounds like an interesting project; awaiting pictures, when the design is ready.

steven c newman
12-27-2016, 2:22 PM
Thought I'd make a molding detail around the panels, using the sash cutter on my Stanley #45. The glass rebate then can hold the plywood panel in place. Wood webframes for the boxes/drawers to slide in and out on.

Ok, area for this case: There currently is an old clothes dryer in the shop ( have a new one working on the laundry) that I store a lot of boxed items on. Case will be sized to sit ON the dryer's top. Will have to take a few measurements to get the footprint. This way, I have a width and depth. There is a gas line going through overhead, and the dryer vent going out. That will give me a height goal to stay under. May extend thesides down a bit, to allow them to be attached to the old dryer's sides, to prevent it from any tipovers. Trying to make it so, IF I should move to a different shop, I can take it along as a free standing case.

Some of the old boxes may get tossed, and the contents placed in a drawer or two.

Jim Koepke
12-27-2016, 2:44 PM
There currently is an old clothes dryer in the shop ( have a new one working on the laundry) that I store a lot of boxed items on.

Is there a reason to save the old dryer?

Sounds like a good candidate for Craigslist.

Otherwise, take the dryer apart and use the inside space for tool storage.

jtk

steven c newman
12-27-2016, 2:53 PM
Reason to save the old one? Since the drain for the basement is right beside it, and all water coming across the the goes by this spot.....yep, unless it gets 3' deep down there, things will stay dry sitting on it. Twould be too hard to move up the steps to haul it away, anyway. Soo, for now, until a crew can remove it, it will stay put. It might also serve as a source of spare parts for the current dryer.

Scrap value= $9.65 is all it would bring. Wouldn't even pay for the trip to get rid of it, nor the beer for the crew. City charges $25 to pick it up....

Costs to leave it in place? $0.00

steven c newman
12-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Found three 2x4s outside. Have them drying out right now. Still have one 4x4 ( non-treated) about 4' long ~. Might have a few other bits and pieces laying around. Right now, until I get the Ok from the knee Doctor, I can not lift anything over 10 pounds. Some of the things I do in the shop are Verboten until further notice ( 5 JAN 2017) so this is an "inventory stage" to see how much lumber I'll need to buy.

Somehow, will need 4 pc @ 4/4 x 3" x 36" long. These will be the corner posts, and all else works off of them. Webframe stock will need to be made, along with the frames themselves. Have to wait and see what type of top I need to build for it, too.

steven c newman
12-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Trying to get this started up. At least give people something to argue over about wood working, than what metal is being used by whom. As long as the edges of my toys...er...tools are sharp and stay that way long enough for the project at hand, I am a happy camper.

One of the things I want to try out on this build, use a Stanley #45's sash cutter. The sides of the case will be a flat panel set into a series of frames. Yep, Frame & Flat Panel. I would like to add a molding around the edges where the panels meet the frames. Thought MAYBE the sash cutter could be used. The places where the stiles and rails meet will just be a 45 degree cut. Not set up right now to do a cope & stick. Some of the parts will need a molding on both edges, as they will be between two panels. Will try to use a Mortise & Tenon to join the parts, and leave a rebate on the inside to set a panel in. Sound like a plan?

Don't have a "Sketch Up" on the computer, never got the hang of it. The one I use is inside me head, overworking a single brain cell, at that. Looking like a few "test pieces" will be needed.

steven c newman
01-01-2017, 5:08 AM
been doing a bit of thinking....dangerous, I know. Anyway, that dryer will soon be history. The Walnut Tool Chest #1 is also scheduled to be removed from the shop. Will clean it out, air it out, and set it upstairs as a Blanket/Hope Chest. Dryer will go for salvage money, I take a look at the motor to see IF I can save it. Plane and brace tills will be on the move, trading spaces with the three benchtop tools. Mainly because I am tired of a water line dripping on my planes.

Chest of drawers will now be 5-6 drawers. I'll set it on blocks to keep it's feet high and dry. Nothing real fancy, just a Pine Chest of drawers. Might even have space on top to stash a few wooden boxes? Hoping all of this gives me a wee bit more elbow room. Will need to start milling a few boards later this week. And find out how much lumber I'll need. #2 pine.....a 1 x 6 x 8" should yield one drawer. I hope. top ones might be a bit thinner in height.

Sound like a better plan?

David Eisenhauer
01-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Sounds like your "knee time" has resulted in some brain cooking. How will you get the dryer out of the basement? Disassemble it?

steven c newman
01-01-2017, 11:00 AM
I happen to know a couple fellows with 23 year old backs. The dryer came down the steps, it can go right back up them.

Phil Mueller
01-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Exactly the way it should be done, Steven. For our last move, we hired a couple youngins' to move stuff out of the basement. One kid grabbed the dryer with both arms, hugged it to his chest, and carried it on his own up the stairs and out the door.
Oh, to be young again.

steven c newman
01-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Managed to get a few pictures of what is going on down there.......welcome to my world....
That back there is the dryer that has to leave, the washer and dryer off to the left are the Laundry Room of the Boss. I am not allowed to touch them. I have to watch how tall I get with any new storage..
A Dryer vent through the old window, as there wasn't a vent before. That be a Gas Meter hanging there, as well. I may add a rack to the side of the new storage to hold the clamps.
This will need to go as well. Just collections "junk" and other items. Once clean and spiffified up, it will make someone a nice Blanket/Hope Chest. I intend to move the plane and the brace tills to a new location....as soon as the Three Amigos leave
These three will go where the tills were. I'll need to install a power strip on that North bench, some I no longer have to drape a cord across the workbench.
Thanks to the gas meter and that vent, the saws will just have to hang out here, for now..
Have a crowded space I need to re-arrange, as well..
Thinking the Tool Chest #2 could turn around, and slide under the lathe's bench. I could bring the Mitre saw Bench out away from the wall, and back it against the workbench. The rest of the little tools can go against the wall, along with this old guy..
As most of the tools on it, other than the fixed sanding center, will find a drawer to hide in.

Thursday is a follow up on the knee, maybe i hope, I can get started by this weekend on the remodel job. Hope Igor hasn't gone on strike, again...

David Eisenhauer
01-03-2017, 6:26 AM
If I may ask, what are the dimensions of your shop?

Pat Barry
01-03-2017, 8:18 AM
That back there is the dryer that has to leave, the washer and dryer off to the left are the Laundry Room of the Boss. I am not allowed to touch them. I have to watch how tall I get with any new storage..
My boss would never put up with that situation for more than a day or two. I think we identified your next project as a proper laundry room!

steven c newman
01-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Just about what you see in the pictures...very small.

Chris Hachet
01-03-2017, 11:37 AM
I live nearby and have a sawzall. If you want it gone, I can haul it back to Columbus and put it out with my trash.

Chris Hachet
01-03-2017, 11:38 AM
Managed to get a few pictures of what is going on down there.......welcome to my world....
A Dryer vent through the old window, as there wasn't a vent before. That be a Gas Meter hanging there, as well. I may add a rack to the side of the new storage to hold the clamps.
This will need to go as well. Just collections "junk" and other items. Once clean and spiffified up, it will make someone a nice Blanket/Hope Chest. I intend to move the plane and the brace tills to a new location....as soon as the Three Amigos leave
These three will go where the tills were. I'll need to install a power strip on that North bench, some I no longer have to drape a cord across the workbench.
Thanks to the gas meter and that vent, the saws will just have to hang out here, for now..
Have a crowded space I need to re-arrange, as well..
Thinking the Tool Chest #2 could turn around, and slide under the lathe's bench. I could bring the Mitre saw Bench out away from the wall, and back it against the workbench. The rest of the little tools can go against the wall, along with this old guy..
As most of the tools on it, other than the fixed sanding center, will find a drawer to hide in.

Thursday is a follow up on the knee, maybe i hope, I can get started by this weekend on the remodel job. Hope Igor hasn't gone on strike, again...

Let me just say that visiting steven convinced me to spend a few days cleaning up my workshop...things are going much better now...

Chris Hachet
01-03-2017, 11:39 AM
...also, I find open shelves to be better to stage things on many times....

steven c newman
01-03-2017, 7:00 PM
The chest of drawers to take the place of that dryer....now has a "plan" of sorts on paper....
Natasha: " You have plan, Dahlink?"
Boris " Of course i have plan, they don't always work, but I always have plan"

Or, something like that..
First I drew out a few lines on paper, using a pen..
So far, there is one upright corner post, and two webframes with a face frame over them..I doodled a bit more..
Working my way up until I reached the top.....
More to figure out the spacings, and get a number to cut the corner posts to.
Corner post a 4/4 x 3" wide, I think I came up with a height of the post @ 42-1/2"....IF my "old math" still works.

webframes are a bit basic..
counting the kicker in the center, just five pieces per frame. Face frame part will connect to the corner posts with a dovetail, and is glued to the webframe.
profile of the post..
I notch the foot a bit. Rails/stiles between the posts will get a molded edge and match the same molding along the posts. There will be a rebate along the edges on the insides, and a plywood panel will be set into that.
need to figure out what size to make the webframe parts, next. Stay tuned....

Stew Denton
01-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Hi Steven,

Sounds like you are contemplating a good project. Needing a 23 year old back isn't my problem...it's needing 23 year old knees and shoulders. Although at 23 I could probably lift 2 or 3 times what I can now.

Stew

Stew Denton
01-03-2017, 10:42 PM
Hi Steven,

Your basement shop looks like my half of the garage, but you have more and better stuff than I do. (That's not to say that I can't mess things up pretty well with what I do have.) However, you do have a bench that is usable.

I like your drawing up plans, I do that too, but then I lose the plans. Maybe I can make some progress next summer, hope to build some storage, or MAYBE build a bit of a shop.

I've made a little progress in the past year, but you have made a lot more. I have to get a big project done at work, and then maybe I can work a little on my stuff next summer when it gets warm.

There is always hope for folks like us!

Stew

Andrew Pitonyak
01-03-2017, 10:48 PM
I live nearby and have a sawzall. If you want it gone, I can haul it back to Columbus and put it out with my trash.

If you head out there, let me know.... Perhaps I can tag along and help you play pack mule! Always a hoot to hang with Steve! I am trying imagine three of us in that shop together! :eek:

And Steve, if you need a few scraps of wood, I just might bring some along. Might trade you a few wood scraps and a meal of Mexican food for some of the knowledge you have packed in that head of yours..... Heck, I probably owe you for what you taught me last time I was out.

steven c newman
01-04-2017, 1:50 AM
IF the dryer is in one piece, I can get maybe $9.60 at the local scrap yards. I might keep the motor, if it still works, if not....a little more change in me pocket.

Thursday, weather permitting, I have a follow up on my knee. IF it is doing nicely, I might just start in on this project next saturday...almost tried to today.....knee was a tad sore, but it is moving a lot better. Will try to re-arrange a few items, just to make a bit more room. Might be some epic cussing going on, down there.....:eek:

steven c newman
01-04-2017, 3:26 PM
Well, I had to start somewhere...we'll call it Stage 1? Moving day for some of the items, until I can get two large items OUT of the shop. To move the two tills to their new homes, I needed to remove them, and the stuff that was sitting in the way..

Moved the grinder up and around to the edge of the north bench, after the drill till was removed. Then a couple tools from the new locations were placed near the grinder, for now...
Yep, a scrollsaw, and a narrow belt sander. Needed to move those aside, to allow the plane till a place to go. When I moved the scrollsaw, I found out I had used it a bit more than I thought..
Got that swept off. Needed to unload the plane till, and then move it aside. I had a drill press to stash there..
Ok, I moved the brace till into it's new home, and then the plane till right beside it....fun part was loading them back up..
Theory being that I use the planes more than the drills. I'll leave that open drawer, too. IF something should fall out of the plane till, it will wind up in the drawer, and NOT bounce off the concrete floor. Also a nice place to store LONG handled tools.
There was an old, non-working e-cord hanging overhead, I took that down, coiled it up and tossed it out. Will get a better one this weekend. I even cleaned the top of the walnut Tool Chest!!
rattle can to shine it up. Still need to empty it out, not a whole lot in there. Still need to find just the right places for the power tools on the North Bench. a Sanding center needs to go somewhere in there, too. Lower level of the North bench MIGHT get a couple of them. Stage 2 will be later today..maybe.

Chris Hachet
01-04-2017, 4:56 PM
If you head out there, let me know.... Perhaps I can tag along and help you play pack mule! Always a hoot to hang with Steve! I am trying imagine three of us in that shop together! :eek:

And Steve, if you need a few scraps of wood, I just might bring some along. Might trade you a few wood scraps and a meal of Mexican food for some of the knowledge you have packed in that head of yours..... Heck, I probably owe you for what you taught me last time I was out. I think we need a Columbus get together...I should be sending out invitations/PM's when I learn What the rest of the month is like...

steven c newman
01-04-2017, 9:03 PM
tried to get a bit more done tonight...then the leg started to act up...Walnut Chest is cleaned out, almost all the stuff in there fit into the tote..
I moved the chest out of my way for a bit, so I could at least see the floor...
And two, I could fasten a few toys in place..
The hand grinder can move as needed. I tried to get a picture of Igor, but he jumped onto the broom and flew away....leaving me to take out the trash..
Leg was hurting, so I just pushed the chest back to where it was, as I can't carry it up the stairs. Nothing in it, just a bit hard to grip and carry..
have a Follow Up on the knee in the morning, so tomorrow will be a rest day.....after that...next stage.

David Eisenhauer
01-04-2017, 9:25 PM
You are a dynamo Steven C. Looks like you will reclaim some of the space in that shop for a more efficient use.

steven c newman
01-05-2017, 2:45 PM
My son came home from work last night, and hauled the walnut tool chest upstairs..

Soo...for anyone close to my place, there is a P-C #4210 Jig, and a walnut tool chest.....stop by and pick them up. Freebies.

Doctor Visit: No restrictions, don't need to schedule any more visits. Leg is swollen due to water retention. Needs to be "dried out" as it were. Have compression sleeves to ear for awhile. I guess i can get back to work in the shop. Taking today off, though. Resting up to go at it again. hope by tomorrow, I can move enough other things around and get even more room. Then I can start on that dresser build. weather was too nasty today to lay in any wood supplies....Drat.

On that chest, IF you want the tote that fits inside it, let me know. Now then.....Tea, Hot, Black, with a shot or two of bailey's Irish cream. And sit and watch it snow.....yuck.

steven c newman
01-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Was going to move stuff around in the shop today....Boss has other ideas for today's schedule.....

Figured up I need to buy the following items for that Chest of drawers build:
3 @ 2 x 4 x 8'
2 @ 1 x 8 x 8'
2 @ 1 x 6 x 8'
1 @ 1 x 4 x 8'
4' x 8' x 1/4" thick plywood Luann would be nice, may go with what has the best price.
I have three 2 x 4 x 7' on hand, to re-saw down to 4/4 pieces as needed. Have 1x2 "strapping" for drawer kickers. Have a 4 x 4 x 30 to re-saw down as needed for face frame parts. One of the new 2x4s will be ripped into webframe parts.

Cut list is still inside my head, right now. I intend to do a bit of shopping around for the store-bought boards. Not making an Heirloom Piece, just something to hold all the stuff in the shop. Will need to make a lot of use of that Stanley #45. Too bad it can't cut 1/2 blind dovetail joints. I guess that will be done by saw and chisel....

Need to get Igor back down there, and finish the clean out work.....

steven c newman
01-06-2017, 1:25 PM
As for that Stanley 45.....one of it's jobs will be to add a molded edge. and a rebate to the parts that make up the sides of the case, soooo
I laid out a few parts...turned out I will need to use the longer rods....Screwdriver is a Millers falls
Installed the short rods ( will change out later) and the sash cutter..
Installed the sliding stock. Had to get it past the edge of the cutter, thanks to a slight bow in the cutter. And, tried the fence
It will be close, might switch out the short rods for the long ones. Wood will be 4/4 thick, and i plan to go along the edges as needed. The "molding" part to the outside, the rebate to the inside. . IF I need a deeper/wider rebate...I have the cutters for that as well.

Drawer making will be after the case is done. Figure I need a groove for drawer bottoms to sit in, and a dado for the back to reside in. Might just have a cutter for each....

Plane is set up, awaiting a few chunks of wood....

steven c newman
01-07-2017, 1:31 PM
Camera issues today. May go shopping for another. Anyway, I did a bit of re-saw work this morning. Had a 4x4 to saw down into parts. Was looking to get a few at 4/4 by 2" wide. Meh. Plane to smooth and square a blank up. Mainly used a stanley #5-1/2. Got the 45 ready to go, and work on both edges something like this...
This being a cut-off. I cut a tenon on one end first, then figured out how long a part was needed to fit between the corner posts and still have a 1-1/2" tenon. Used a mitre box to cut to length, and then a backsaw to make the other tenon.
One done, only nine more to do. That wood bodied plane was used to clean the rebate a bit. When I get rested back up, and maybe a new camera.....I'll work some more...
BTW: Mitre Box is a Stanley No. 358.....seemed to do an ok job...

steven c newman
01-07-2017, 6:28 PM
Ok, merely bought a Vivitar Vivicam S126 Point & Shoot camera. It even has a Macro Setting....oooh, ...aaahh. Gave it a try out, after I was done with the resaws....
Had to go and do a resize of the pictures the new camera posts. Camera wants to send out as 800 size, had to drop down a bit to get it to post here...
Crosscut on a blank. Have one blank all fancified up, and have four more to plane and mold...
Maybe tomorrow, I can get that HUGE saw off my bench, and get back to using a few hand planes?

David Eisenhauer
01-07-2017, 7:39 PM
Thanks for the photos. Good stuff. I need to make a box to hold my 45 and the cutters for it.

steven c newman
01-08-2017, 3:45 PM
Wood will wait another week, or so. Got some time to clean up and move things around in the Dungeon Shop today.....enough that a LARGE Contractor's Trash bag is now over half full of junk and dirt. Cleaned the florr after moving these toys out of the way..351102
Which left this area to clean out..
Once everything was off the floor, dirtwise, I could move things around a bit..
The bench for the Mitre Box is now out where I can use it a bit better, right beside the bandsaw and behind the workbench. I'll be filling those shelves up, soon enough. The small bandsaw is now against the wall as is the Tool Chest #2..
Router table is now beside the lathe, and can be moved out of the way when the lathe is in use. Mitre Box is now out and under the main shop light, so I can see a bit better.
hey, at least I can not only walk into there, and even turn around, I might even be able to do some work back there. Mitre saw is now off the bench, so now I can get back to using the planes, again..
Have a bit of woodworking to do.....after all...stay tuned.

Jim Koepke
01-08-2017, 5:41 PM
Ok, merely bought a Vivitar Vivicam S126 Point & Shoot camera.

The images look a lot sharper than your old camera.

jtk

steven c newman
01-09-2017, 2:26 PM
Not sure how long the batteries last in one of these cameras. I can't just plug the camera in, and let the computer recharge the battery pack. New one takes 3 AAA batteries.

Lumber run for today, then back to making sawdust & shavings......we'll see IF the camera can keep up...

Chris Hachet
01-09-2017, 3:21 PM
You are a dynamo Steven C. Looks like you will reclaim some of the space in that shop for a more efficient use.

It needs a bit of love, for sure!

Chris Hachet
01-09-2017, 3:22 PM
Thanks for the photos. Good stuff. I need to make a box to hold my 45 and the cutters for it.

Post some pics when you get her complete!

Chris Hachet
01-09-2017, 3:23 PM
Hi Steven,

Your basement shop looks like my half of the garage, but you have more and better stuff than I do. (That's not to say that I can't mess things up pretty well with what I do have.) However, you do have a bench that is usable.

I like your drawing up plans, I do that too, but then I lose the plans. Maybe I can make some progress next summer, hope to build some storage, or MAYBE build a bit of a shop.

I've made a little progress in the past year, but you have made a lot more. I have to get a big project done at work, and then maybe I can work a little on my stuff next summer when it gets warm.

There is always hope for folks like us!

StewKeep us posted with your progress as well, please!

Jim Koepke
01-09-2017, 3:45 PM
...then maybe I can work a little on my stuff next summer when it gets warm.

My only problem with the cold is not being able to use glue in the shop. When it gets a bit below freezing is when it gets uncomfortable to me. This project never did get glued and it is still holding together:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?211707-Too-Cold-in-Shop-for-Gluing

My little "shop heater" may raise the temp a couple of degrees over a few hours. That is why a coat, muffler, hat and gloves come in handy.

I should take pictures of my shop, it is also a mess and is getting cleaned up. Warmed the house last night with a lot of old scraps that were never going to get used.

jtk

steven c newman
01-09-2017, 3:52 PM
And better knees. Lumber run is completed, for the next "Stage" of this build. 2x4s and a plywood 2' x4' panel are in the shop, awaiting some time with the saws....and a visit from Mr. Gumption. Took a bit of effort to haul the lumber down to the shop...Whew!

Will see how the rest of the day goes...

steven c newman
01-09-2017, 8:30 PM
Still learning WHEN to use that Macro setting on the camera....sometimes they come out clear as a bell..
Then, I think I move just a bit too far away, and this shows up..
Then move again..
These two were used to remove the saw marks on four more blanks. Trying to get the blanks S4S..
All cleaned up and ready for the Stanley 45. Got a couple of them done today, then the legs went "crampy". I need to re-sharpen that sash cutter, too. I was going so fast, that the depth stop on the cutter came off! Need to slow down a bit. Have had to sweep my nice, clean floor up...twice..
This was just the first batch. Not all of the blanks will get a molded edge, though. The rails at the top and bottom of the sides only need one. The edge where the plywood panel sits.

need a better way to set that 45 up. Both skates are hanging in mid air. Need to shift things a bit to one side?
Getting a bunch of glare from the overhead light, too. Taking the rest of the night off, and letting the crampy legs heal up. There is always tomorrow.

steven c newman
01-10-2017, 2:34 PM
Camera seems to be fixed up. Had to take the Stanley #45 apart, and tune up everything on it. Cutter had a "beer belly' for a bevel...now flat and honed sharp. Skates were rough, like they had been chewed on...stoned smooth and the edges tuned.
Traded the short rods out, and installed the long rods. I could set the fence a little bit better, and keep the "binding" away..
Set the skates a bit better, as well. A couple runs on a blank..
Started the cuts in the center of the blank, and work towards the ends. Still need a couple other toys to help out.
Block plane to refine the curves, shoulder plane to clean the rebate. I also ran a Millers Falls No. 11 down the center line, to clean up the tearout..
getting there. I used screws to hold the blank on the edge of the bench, where nothing would hit the fence on the 45.
Not all that worried about the screw holes. Tenons will take most of the holes away. I got the 4th and 5th blank done and all five laid out..
Only to find out..I need one more middle rail. So, now I need to make that extra one, and SIX for the other side. Decided to at least get a start on the corner posts, as they need resawn too.
These will need to be 4/4 thick, by 3" wide. Might resaw one edge, and plane in from the other....Lunchbreak going on right now....stay tuned,might be some more later tonight?

Chris Hachet
01-10-2017, 2:54 PM
The images look a lot sharper than your old camera.

jtk

Yes they do!

Jason Dean
01-10-2017, 3:54 PM
I also live nearby and would be happy to help haul your dryer out if we can coordinate a time. While my back is 32 instead of 23, I have a dolly, straps, and a ramp set.

steven c newman
01-10-2017, 6:38 PM
That's ok, I know where there are three young backs...and they can haul the dryer out when needed.

Resaw on a 2x4 takes a LONG time. Finally got ONE corner post sized....almost. Needed a cambered jack to level things out, and get rid of any saw marks.....then a Jumbo Jack to clean up after this hungry beasty...
And the Jumbo...
Was trying for a 4/4 thick board,,, wound up at 1-1/8"...close enough. I planed both faces, to clean things up, then worked on the edges...
Made use of both the leg vise, and the Crochet. The BIG plane laying on it's side to the right? A Stanley No. 7c, Type 9. I was looking for the best edge, for the next step...
Same Stanley #45, same cutter, as used on the rails. Plane is running a lot better now. Once the edge was done, I laid out where the bottom rail would go.....and made another saw cut...
leaves a 1" x 1" pad to sit on the floor. At the other end of the angled cut, is the bottom of the bottom rail. Debating on whether to do any round-overs there....

One down, three to go. Also need 6 more rails done....but, I do have all week to work on it, right?

Still trying to find the ranges of the camera settings.....there is only a "Macro" and a "Micro", there is no in-between. Anything closer than 24omm is in the Macro range...Micro is way out there @ 1.5m.........Not sure I have THAT much room in the shop...so, maybe a few pictures will not be quite as sharp as others...work in progress, just like this dresser build.

steven c newman
01-11-2017, 1:15 PM
After a resaw took forever to complete, and all the squealing of the blade.....I went out today and bought a new blade for the saw.....80" long,6tpi. I am kind of limited on blade choices here. Either the ones at Lowes, or....drive 35+ miles to a Sears store.

Mil. ID got me a 10% discount at Lowes. I also priced the lumber for the drawer parts.....YIKES!! Gold-plated Pine? I think I will give Menards some business when the drawers parts will be bought. No discount, but, much better prices..

Need to get something done today, getting so attached to this computer chair, I may start putting down roots....

Later, Gators...

Chris Hachet
01-11-2017, 3:52 PM
Let me know, I have some short pieces of pine in my off cut pile...

steven c newman
01-11-2017, 4:44 PM
New blade is now on the saw. While taking the old blade off, I also found a chunk of a 1/4" wide blade, wedged in place.....
Used the Stanley#358 to cut some blanks to size, from a 2x4. Made a bunch of resaws on the bandsaw today
Now have two corner post cut, and one about done. I also got five more blanks resawn to size. Was able to try a chisel for a bit.
But soon decided a Plan B was needed.....so, I laid out where the rest of the rails will go
I'll make a stopped dado where the tenon is, and wind up with the tenon flush to the sides of the corner post. Need to start with a few hand planes next, as I have a bunch of parts to joint and smooth out..
And maybe get something built? Managed to get 2 hours in, will see IF I get back down there anymore today.....

steven c newman
01-12-2017, 1:48 PM
IF there isn't a creek running through the shop ( had a Gulley-Washer of a T-Storm just roll through) I might get a bit more work done, after Lunch. O "Daylighted" the mortise, kept the scrap piece, and glued it in place. Rail now sits where it is suppose to go. I also chiseled out the nexr two stopped dados. So, for this morning's schedule of work...three more Dados need chopped out, 5 rails need planed S4S and the 45 ran along one edge. Well, maybe both edges on some. Second Stile needs S4S and the 45 ran along one edge. A rebate will also need to be done, to house the back of the dresser. Not sure how much will actually get done, but that is the plan.

As Boris would tell Natasha: "Of course I have plan, they don't always work out, but, I always have plan"

steven c newman
01-12-2017, 5:06 PM
Kind of a long reply, might need to do two...here goes ( I'm on Dinner Break)
Made a few chips fly, today..
Digging out to house some tenons...
Why the space at the end? Well, when I trim the rail to fit..
By clipping the corners. Then slide things together, and clip the stile side of the joint to match..
Will take a bit more fitting. Not quite a Cope & Stick, but will do for now. Got a few parts done..
But had to stop. needed to make one more rail.....
And cut more tenons...
Then decided to just grab the squares and a Stanley #5-1/2 plane, and surface the rest of the parts I had on hand.
I WAS going to do the other corner post S4S ..but...decided to take a break instead. Maybe after supper?
I can plane this 42-1/2" long plank down? Might take a while....stay tuned..

steven c newman
01-13-2017, 2:10 PM
went to Menards today. I now have enough pieces to at least make the case. Not sure about the top, yet. Once the case is done, then I can start to build some drawers for it.

Other supplies have been laid in...new bottle of Elmer's, a few packs of screws, and a few packs of sandpaper, since they were on clearence. Might go and hide out in the shop, later today. May need an Olde Pharte Nap, first. Need to rest up, after all that shopping today.

Chris Hachet
01-13-2017, 2:56 PM
went to Menards today. I now have enough pieces to at least make the case. Not sure about the top, yet. Once the case is done, then I can start to build some drawers for it.

Other supplies have been laid in...new bottle of Elmer's, a few packs of screws, and a few packs of sandpaper, since they were on clearence. Might go and hide out in the shop, later today. May need an Olde Pharte Nap, first. Need to rest up, after all that shopping today. Again, keep us posted with pics. Andrew P should be sending you a PM, going to try to ahve a Columbus Neadner get together next weekend.

steven c newman
01-13-2017, 10:00 PM
Right now, I'm just muddling along. Shopping trips today for supplies. May have gotten one whole hour down in the shop today..
Jointer plane to smooth out corner post number 2. Then a little work with the sash cutter..
Got the corner post all set for dado work..
And transferred all the markings to the new board..
I also finished up the rail work on corner post number 1. Next, I have to mark the tenons on the rails where they go on the #2 post...
Spent some time at the bandsaw, trying out a jig for the resaws. A tune up was also needed. Seemed to work better than before...
Jig is just a 1x6, with a point cut on the end, point goes right at the tooth line..
And...maybe someday, I'll get good at doing these cope joints...
maybe..someday. used a junior jack plane to shoot some end grain..

steven c newman
01-13-2017, 10:09 PM
As for that Junior Jack plane?
Millers falls No.11.....the angled cut is for a foot detail on the bottom of the corner posts.
Saw left a lot of saw marks, and wasn't quite straight. Stanley #60-1/2 tried to correct it, but chattered a bit
Now smooth as glass. Just enough weight to the Junior jack, no chatter.
the resaws today were to make the last of the rails. Still need to cut and resaw the other two corner posts. I intend to at least get ONE side completely done, before doing the other side. Bought a bunch of 1x2s today, to build webframes and face frame parts with. "Kickers" will come from scraps that are being resawn off. Picked up a few packs of 3/4" long screws, and a new bottle of glue. hate to get halfway through a glue up, and run out of glue.....

maybe when I roll out of bed in the morning, I can wander down to the shop...and at least try to get something done? We'll see.....

steven c newman
01-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Well, I AM up and moving around.....still not fully awake. Maybe after a Mountain Dew, I might head to the shop......what's for Breakfast?

Looking like a lot of chisel work to be done today. May have to strop the chisel beforehand....

We'll see how this goes, today.:rolleyes:

steven c newman
01-14-2017, 3:51 PM
Well, 4 hours in the shop. Had to chop out 6 places to house the rails in
Once I got all of the spots chopped out, I could do a little assembly work..
Had one "bad spot" to work on..
Of all the places those knots could go...why here?
Sharp chisel, and a good backsaw. Not worried about that overcut, as that area will be removed, anyway.

Screws and glue to assemble, had to clamp things tight, and still had a few gaps.
Figured out a couple rails were trimmed a bit too much. Will correct for that on the other side's build. Plywood panels are just sitting in place, no glue or fasteners, yet.

I am plain tuckered out...

steven c newman
01-15-2017, 11:13 AM
IF I can find Mr. Gumption today.......I might start in on the other side of this dresser build. Have to keep an eye on the rails this time, as two shrunk on me on the last set. Trim here, trim there..sort of thing. Once they are all made, no more trimming will be done. Will try to get 6 rails all the exact same length.

For the Crew from Columbus,OH....any saturday is fine with me.

steven c newman
01-15-2017, 6:17 PM
Since this is getting a bit long-winded, I'll be starting a new one, mainly for the dresser build part of the remodel. Until I can complete the dresser build, I can't get rid of the old dryer. So, I had better get busy...
Thanks for following along on this long-winded story....:D