PDA

View Full Version : GE Washing Machine repair

Clarence Martin
12-25-2016, 9:51 PM
GE washing machine. Top loader.

smelled a HOT smell.Sort an electrical hot smell. I lifted the lid on the machine and it was not spinning as it should have been at that point in the cycle.

I could hear the pump working but there was still about 4 inches of water in the tub. The switch on the lid is working.

So,I unplugged it and let it sit for a couple hours. Went back to see if I could diagnose anything. I plugged it back in and it finished the cycle as it should have.

Does this sound electronic to anyone or could this be a belt that got too warm to provide traction but was fine once it cooled off for a couple hours ??

Matt Day
12-25-2016, 10:03 PM
I had a similar problem. Wouldn't drain the water one time, reset it and it would. Eventually wouldn't drain no matter what and I'd have soaking wet laundry. Turned out it was a failing lid switch. Replaced it and I was good to go. That's the most common cause of a machine that won't drain. You can Hotwire the lid switch to bypass it and test.

Lots of good advice and help online, google "appliance repair diy" or some such.

Todd Mason-Darnell
12-26-2016, 8:48 AM
I highly, highly recommend:

https://www.repairclinic.com/

They have great troubleshooting guides, videos on part replacements and are very reasonable on prices. I have bought several parts from them over the years and always has great success.

Good luck

Bradley Gray
12-26-2016, 8:58 AM
We used to have a GE top loader and I had good luck calling their 24/7 toll free number for repair advice.