PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding and refinishing a cedar chest.

Michael Gibbons
12-25-2016, 7:50 PM
Hi Folks, Haven't been here in quite a while but I know this is the place to get the answers. I am currently underway in rebuilding my buddy's girlfriends cedar chest. It is the last thing she has of her mothers who died when she was about 4 years old. Her mom built it in woodshop in high school. Over the course of, what I'm guessing, would be about 50 years, it got pretty beat up. Top was broke in two lengthwise, hinges broke, lock broke, all legs are either broke or loose- basically a mess. Now to my question. I've sanded all the finish off from the outside panels (which were pre-made BTW) and will be starting to reassemble this next week. I've been informed that they would like something clear and not to dark. The original finish had kind of a reddish orange color to it. I've tried BLO, Deft satin lacquer, and Bullseye clear shellac on the bottom of the bottom panel and all make the wood look a bit dark but not to bad and the color clear. Kinda like wet with water. Any ideas for something else to try?

Thanks, Mike.

Mike Dowell
12-29-2016, 7:12 PM
Sounds like you have it figured out actually. Shellac or Lacquer would be fine. A finish adds depth, and thus, darkens color. Anything clear will be fine, such as lacquer or shellac.

Dan Hulbert
01-05-2017, 2:35 PM
Have you tried amber shellac? That would be my first guess for a finish on a high school project from many years back. That's what I was given to finish my first grade school woodshop project back in the mid 60's.