PDA

View Full Version : This weekend's finds (PICs)

T.J. Mahaffey
10-09-2005, 9:41 PM
After having some modest success rust hunting in St. Louis, I had hoped to have pictures to post this weekend. However, the airport doesn't like it when you bring sharp pointy metal objects on the plane, so I had to ship my finds back to myself. (Hope to get them home tomorrow.)

As a prelude to those, though, I'd like to post two little goodies I found this weekend, when I got home and did my normal weekend rounds:

First, this sander. Technically, a power tool, yes. But since I plan to use it much of the time to flatten blade and chisel backs, I'm throwing it in. :) It came with extra belts and cost me: $54.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/sander.jpg

And finally, a very unexpected find today. There are two 'tool' and 'junk' dealers I visit every weekend. One of which has ended up being quite an asset. I'd hate to think of what I missed before finding him! I snagged a darned nice 5-1/2c from him for $45, in addition to some other stuff over the past year. Today, I rolled in just in time to see him closing up. But he knows me and let me peak before shutting the door. This is what followed me home from his booth:

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/39.jpg

I had to try and control my excitement, keeping it mostly bottled up. I've never seen one of these in any size around here. There is some moderate to heavy pitting on the other side, but I don't think its enough or in a place where it might affect use. The blade is homemade, as far as I can tell, but it looks like good steel, so I think I can make it work pretty easily with some sanding and flattening. This dealer has started giving me a 'discount' for being a regular customer. With my "Regular Customer Discount", I paid $65. I'm happy regardless of its worth, but i *think* it might be a Type 1. (Its 1/2-inch, btw.)

One word of advice to any of you other newbie hand tool buffs: don't tell an otherwise oblivious dealer about the Stanley Pocket Guide! :p Both guys I see regularly now have the pocket guide book, thanks to me. D'oh! Seriously, though, they haven't gouged me yet. Since I see them often, I think they'd rather sell to me regularly at a lower price than gouge me once and lose me forever. ;)

Thanks for looking at my goodies, everybody.

Dan Forman
10-09-2005, 9:59 PM
Nice scores TJ. I would assume those "pointy things" might be chisels, and now you can save lots of time and effort truing up the backs of them with that electron recycler.

Is that a rabbet plane? I'm not up on all of the specialty planes Stanley made.

Dan

T.J. Mahaffey
10-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Is that a rabbet plane? I'm not up on all of the specialty planes Stanley made.

Dan

Its a 1/2" dado plane. :)