PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Receive Tool or Woodworking Gift?

Rich Riddle
12-25-2016, 1:12 PM
Just wondering if anyone in here received a tool or woodworking gift for Christmas. I have a few that are supposed to arrive some time, and the Leigh clamps ordered in September arrived yesterday, so that might count.

Steve Eure
12-25-2016, 4:13 PM
Finally received my new bench vise along with 4 Jorgensen parallel clamps via UPS. The first vise I bought at the end of November came in with the cast iron face plate broke in two where the screw goes through it. Returned with refund so it was no biggie other than having to wait another 3 weeks for a back order. New one came in and the shipping box and vise box inside were beat all to pieces. I was afraid to open , only to find that it was ok. Packing from the factory sucked. Nothing to keep the 22 lb. vise from sliding all over the box, and the shipping box was the same. Fortunately all was well. Tomorrow, wife says I can go spend my birthday money at HF. New DC hopefully will come home with me.

Ruperto Mendiones
12-25-2016, 4:37 PM
Opened a Christmas box & lo & behold--- a Yankee push drill from Garrett Wade co. It may make me go more neander.

Jim Becker
12-25-2016, 5:13 PM
I received the Narex skew chisel set and the fine tooth Veritas flush cut saw...both of which were on "my list". Santa didn't bring the Domino, however. LOL

Mike Henderson
12-25-2016, 5:14 PM
I received a branding iron to mark furniture with my name. I was really surprised. Did not expect that at all but something I'll use.

Mike

Rick Potter
12-25-2016, 5:16 PM
Not really a present, but bought a 52" wide tool chest combo from HD. At the store it was $698. On line the same one was $498, and pick it up at the store. It is a monster, and getting it off the truck and put together was a real hassle, made possible only by my cheapie HF winch in the garage.

Now, I have to move stuff around to fit it in.

Jerry Bruette
12-25-2016, 5:44 PM
Got an Amazon gift card that will be used to get a GRRR...Ripper

Art Mann
12-25-2016, 5:47 PM
Nothing big for me. My wife gave me a new Wixey angle finder to replace the one that uses button batteries that need replacing monthly.

William Adams
12-25-2016, 5:54 PM
Bought myself a Silca T-ratchet and Ti-Torque tool from the Kickstarter --- it's my new favourite thing --- best of all it has resolved a lacunae in my tool chest: my dad left me a Snap-On 3/8" ratchet which apparently he picked up in Vietnam and mostly I use 1/4" tools --- been looking for a 1/4" drive Snap-on on eBay, but vintage Snap-on D.O.D. production is apparently collectable, who knew?

Paired it w/ a Wiha 1/4" hex to 1/4" square adapter and some other odds and ends in an Altoids tin organized using 3D printed holders: http://imgur.com/qBbnbCT

Jerome Stanek
12-25-2016, 6:36 PM
DeWalt sent me a new 20volt max to 18 volt adapter and a new 20volt battery that I wasn't expecting

Jebediah Eckert
12-25-2016, 9:38 PM
Got a Lie Nielsen brush. Great gift because it certainly isn't something I would have bought myself. It's the one you always see in the sharpening and plane setup videos. I'm pretty sure this is the missing piece in my sharpening regiment and plane tuning kit. I haven't given it a try yet but should have some time tomorrow. I'm guessing by noon my planing results should rival Brian and Derek's, if not that's a really expensive brush!

Patrick Walsh
12-25-2016, 10:24 PM
Got a extension table for the infeed side of my jointer. I got the Aigner tables last month for the outfeed of the jointer and infeed and outdfeed of my shaper but they dont fit the infeed of my jointer due to the fence configuration.

Pretty stoked about this as i easily jointed the piece of ash in the photo below by myself with ease. I think i could probably joint a 12' piece of stock now problem now.

Also got a bunch of Benchcrafted hardeware for a bench i should have made a long time ago.

Bruce Page
12-25-2016, 10:57 PM
Santa brought a nice gift certificate for WoodWorkers Supply.

Brian Henderson
12-26-2016, 1:26 AM
The only thing I got was a new honing guide to replace the one that broke. Otherwise, didn't ask for anything and didn't get anything.

Matt Day
12-26-2016, 7:29 AM
No tools this year for me, I used Christmas as a get-outta-jail-free card for the next auction I go to and come home with a trailer full of stuff!

Michael Dye
12-26-2016, 8:26 AM
Flame maple backsplash! Now that is my sort of cabinet. Nice.

Mike Cutler
12-26-2016, 9:13 AM
Got some gift cards to Amazon, and WoodCraft.
I'm looking at a Forrest Rip Blade and a Gripper.

Robert Engel
12-26-2016, 9:14 AM

My birthday is in Feb if I'm a good boy I'm expecting the stringing accessory kit. :)

Bruce Wrenn
12-26-2016, 9:48 AM
Got some gift cards to Amazon, and WoodCraft.
I'm looking at a Forrest Rip Blade and a Gripper.Before you spring for the WWII, go to Cripe Distributing and order a Delta 35-7657 for around $20 + shipping. You will be AMAZED at the quality of cut. I own two WWII's, but the 7657 stays on my saw most of the time unless I'm cutting veneer sheet goods or melamine. Best saw blade bang for the buck there is.

Ole Anderson
12-26-2016, 9:49 AM
A couple of Klein screwdrivers and a fancy Vise Grip wire stripper. A weather station, a quadcopter...all big boy toys.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/10034424/prod_1640618912?hei=444&wid=444&op_sharpen=1

Bruce Wrenn
12-26-2016, 9:57 AM
Gave our son in law a jointer for Christmas. Years ago, friend had his 6" Grizzly for sale, as he bought an eight inch. It was newer than my Grizzly jointer. After a couple months can to the conclusion that it wasn't any better, only newer. About the same time a poster on another forum needed the use of a jointer. I lent him the newer one, telling him when I needed it I would call it in. Contacted him this fall about getting it returned. He suggested that he order a NEW Grizzly and have it delivered to SIL, who lives in WV. But Grizzly no longer had 6" in anything other than bench top model. At same time, over at NC Woodworker, member had up graded to an 8" and had his Jet 6" for sale. I suggested he buy that, and we could go to WV via Winston Salem and pick up jointer. Instead, be bought jointer and delivered it to my house for SIL to have at Christmas. Original borrower got to keep jointer, seller sold his machine, and our SIL got a jointer for Christmas. It was a Merry Christmas for all!

Rich Engelhardt
12-27-2016, 7:30 AM
DeWalt sent me a new 20volt max to 18 volt adapter and a new 20volt battery that I wasn't expectingNice!
I went with DeWalt about 10 years ago because they offered a path to upgrade tier 18V XP tools to LiIon.
Then I found out you have to buy new batteries, a new charger and one of those converters.
Runs about $140 for a kit w/two batteries.

A new 20V drill/driver with two batteries & a charger was on sale for $99.

No brainer - - I bought the new drill.
Merry Christmas to me! :D :D

Garth Almgren
12-27-2016, 12:44 PM
I got a few woodworking items from my Amazon wishlist:

Oshlun SBW-100060N 60 tooth negative hook blade for my radial arm saw.
Swanson 12" and 7" speed square combo set, because for some reason the combo set was cheaper than buying the 12" that I wanted by itself.
A Woodstock D4160 on/off switch with a big stop paddle for my 32 year old Grizzly G1019. The old switch works fine, but I wanted one with a paddle that I could hit with my knee since it's down on the base and currently I have to bend over quite a bit (with my head near the table) to turn it off.
"Good Clean Fun: Misadventures in Sawdust at Offerman Woodshop" by Nick Offerman.

BOB OLINGER
12-28-2016, 11:41 AM
Received a gift certificate to the Woodsmith Store to go with one in the drawer (previously sent). Plan to spend them on a new router table.