PDA

View Full Version : New scam

Rick Potter
12-25-2016, 12:17 PM
This is new to me. I have been badgered many times by the IRS scam, but Christmas Eve we got a phone call purporting to be from our electric company, SoCal Edison. A lady said our check bounced, and wanted to discuss it. My wife told her we have solar and only pay about $10 a month for fees, and that we sent a check for $100 last month to cover it for a while.

The lady said that was the one that bounced. The wife then asked her which property it was, since we have more than one. The lady gave the address of our home. The wife then asked for the check number, and the lady hung up.

My wife then called Edison company to report it, and they said they are inundated with people asking about calls like this. They also said they never phone for late payments, all contacts are through the mail.

So.......like I said, a new take on scams.....at least for us.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Jim Becker
12-25-2016, 1:03 PM
It's pretty much standard that businesses do not make phone calls about things like this, especially for "first contact". It's always in writing. 'Glad you caught this!

Brian Tymchak
12-25-2016, 4:27 PM
Bumped into another one Friday. After the USPS lost a delivery, I was wanting to get a Visa egift card as a replacement gift. Went to Visa.com and followed a link to GiftCards.com. Bought a gift card, site said it would email the gift card in a couple of hours. An hour later I get an email that the order had been cancelled, and that a $1 surcharge that had been charged against my CC would be refunded. That didn'the pass the smell test, and I Googled up complaints against the company. The BBC in San Francisco had over 700 complaints, but still an A- rating. Well, I had customer service for my CC on the line in about 15 seconds cancelling that CC# and reissuing a new one.

I can't prove it but I wonder someone had a spoof Visa site with their link on it...

jared herbert
12-26-2016, 8:03 AM
i have had several emails in the last few weeks regarding my paypal account being frozen for some reason or another. all of the emails had mis spelled words or other obvious errors. One even gave me a time that I had to respond by but it gave in in Moscow time. I just deleted them all.

Gary Cunningham
12-26-2016, 8:51 PM
I have had my Paypal account closed 40 times or more this past year. :rolleyes:
My UK Fuel Bill is over due.
My Royal Bank of Canada account has been compromised.
And I was "gifted" two millon dollars from a Nigerian prince.
:D:confused::cool:

John Terefenko
12-26-2016, 9:52 PM
I got the Paypal thing last week for the first time and emailed paypal and they told me it was a scam and to pass the info onto them.

Eric Keller
12-27-2016, 10:39 AM
my experience is that the electric company just comes and turns the power off. Ok, that just happened once when I was in college, and the guy that handled the bill ignored the post-due bill for a couple of months for some reason. He got it turned back on later that night.

Pretty scary they matched your phone number to your address though, they're getting better