PDA

View Full Version : All I want for Christmas- anyone want to give me $59,000 AUD for it?

Malcolm Schweizer
12-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Wow... Just... Wow. I want this. Could anyone spot me $59,400 AUD? Hey, that's only $42,595.74 USD. See- that's better, isn't it? No? Okay, my dear British friends- I'm counting on you. It's only £34,692.74 GBP. There. That should be pocket change for someone out there. PM me for my address. Just to show what a great guy I am, I'll pay shipping.

http://www.hntgordon.com.au/plane-sets/product/291-collaboration-1.html

Seriously, what a beautiful set in a beautifully-done storage chest. Standing ovation.

Jim Koepke
12-25-2016, 11:16 AM
It is very pretty, but it would scare me to death to use any of those tools for fear of damaging them.

jtk

Jamie Buxton
12-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Unconscious irony: the headline across the linked page says "SIMPLY AFFORDABLE QUALITY IN HAND CRAFTED AUSTRALIAN TOOLS".

Malcolm Schweizer
12-25-2016, 11:24 AM
It is very pretty, but it would scare me to death to use any of those tools for fear of damaging them.

jtk

This is why you must send them to me. PM me for my address.

Jim Koepke
12-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Unconscious irony: the headline across the linked page says "SIMPLY AFFORDABLE QUALITY IN HAND CRAFTED AUSTRALIAN TOOLS".

Maybe in the land of Oz everyone can afford such an investment. All of my woodworking tools wouldn't come close to fitting in that cabinet and my hoard likely set me back less than $10,000. That would include all my tools, not just woodworking tools.

jtk

Malcolm Schweizer
12-25-2016, 11:25 AM

Affordability is relative to income. Somewhere out there is a person for whom this is just pocket change. If that person could just PM me, I will send them my shipping address. :-)

Brian Holcombe
12-25-2016, 11:51 AM
The check is in the mail!

Best of luck with the other $42,595.73

george wilson
12-25-2016, 3:37 PM
If they sell that,I need to get into the "affordable" tool business!!:) Especially the nearly all wood ones.

Paul Phillis
12-25-2016, 3:58 PM
Compared to cost of lie nielson tools in Aus, Gordon is affordable. eg. 1/2 in shoulder plane. LN $369 Gordon $180 (aus $ of course)

Jim Koepke
12-25-2016, 5:23 PM
Affordability is relative to income. Somewhere out there is a person for whom this is just pocket change.

For those with this kind of "pocket change" it is rare that they will share it for even the most worthy cause.

Compared to cost of lie nielson tools in Aus, Gordon is affordable. eg. 1/2 in shoulder plane. LN $369 Gordon $180 (aus $ of course)

Compare the cost with good used tools and we are talking of an even lower cost factor.

jtk

Ray Selinger
12-25-2016, 5:30 PM
George, you are on the wrong continent . We've been to Oz a couple of times, it's a different approach to quality. Their tradesmen's wages are less than our Canuck ones, but things cost more. A few years back, a Jayco 8' tent trailer in Canada was $9,999, $21,037 in Oz . It was 3x better made. Australian $ and Canadian $ usually roughly about the same.

John K Jordan
12-25-2016, 6:30 PM
There is an inconsistency in your message.

The title says "anyone want to give me $..."
But then in the message you wrote "Could anyone spot me $..."

I can and will do the former, I really do want to. However, at this time I cannot to do the latter.

You might consider crowd funding. Perhaps each of your best friends will send just $1. Or perhaps the exchange rate will slip 3 or 4 decimal places. I'll check back!

JKJ

Malcolm Schweizer
12-25-2016, 6:55 PM
There is an inconsistency in your message.

The title says "anyone want to give me $..."
But then in the message you wrote "Could anyone spot me $..."

I can and will do the former, I really do want to. However, at this time I cannot to do the latter.

You might consider crowd funding. Perhaps each of your best friends will send just $1. Or perhaps the exchange rate will slip 3 or 4 decimal places. I'll check back!

JKJ

I love you. I shall await news of your lottery win.

As as for each of my best friends giving me a dollar, so that's $2.50 (two best friends and one fair weather friend.)

John K Jordan
12-26-2016, 12:21 AM
I shall await news of your lottery win.

I heard this stated as a truism: "You can't win if you don't play." I last Tuesday I assumed that "play" meant buying lottery tickets. Oh well, I refuse to buy.

One gentleman at our recent woodturning Christmas party opened his Dirty Santa gift and found a handful of lottery tickets. So here is a solution: you buy and send me lottery tickets! You can consider this a safe investment since I am very, very lucky and a big win is an absolute certainty. That way you get the tools you want and I get the tools I want. All I want is a mini-excavator, trackhoe. And a dump truck.

JKJ

Frederick Skelly
12-26-2016, 6:51 AM
So here is a solution: you buy and send me lottery tickets! You can consider this a safe investment since I am very, very lucky and a big win is an absolute certainty. That way you get the tools you want and I get the tools I want. All I want is a mini-excavator, trackhoe. And a dump truck.

JKJ

John, I laughed so hard at this that I spat coffee all over the computer. :)

george wilson
12-26-2016, 9:49 AM
Malcolm,your $2.50 post was very funny!!!:)

Patrick Chase
12-26-2016, 11:12 AM

jtk

You just need to use them to make something that's worth more than AUS59000!

(that was you that replied almost identically in another "expensive tools" thread right?)

Tom Stenzel
12-26-2016, 1:09 PM
Malcolm, I'd really like to help you out. Unfortunately I have a feeling that you would be unable to work with these tools until you had the matching workbench.

Think of the mental anguish! So to save you from yourself I'll be forced to sit on the sidelines and wait for the workbench to become available.

Sorry,

-Tom

Joe Williams
01-01-2017, 11:21 PM
Wow If I was single I would probably buy this. I am not and a quarter million in college costs later I will die without them haha.

William Adams
01-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Thank you for sharing that --- makes me glad of the tools which I do have and can afford (and kind of annoyed at myself that I bought stuff for my commuting bicycle (here: http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/montague-swissbike-x50-blacked-out-30784 if anyone is curious) w/ my Christmas money) --- I'm pretty close to having all the tools I can justify owning (though they're not nearly so nice as that set), and I just need to puzzle out how to fix the lid on the chest which I purchased ( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?247116-Rehabbing-socketed-chisels-handles-w-traditional-leather-washers ), repair one of the screwdrivers, clean up some other tools, and buy a Knew Concepts fret saw --- at that point, it'll just be tool replacements when I can justify them --- tempted to work up what my dream Bridge City Tools order would be....